What was your trigger to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,009 Member
    Options
    The pictures of my granddaughter's christening decided me. I was standing next to my slim husband. It was hard to hide behind an 8 lb. baby. She is 4years old now, and I am down almost 50 lbs. Maybe she won't ever know that her granny was fat.
  • violet_sphinx
    violet_sphinx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what my trigger was. I had/have lots of reasons for wanting to lose weight, but just kept saying I ought to and not doing anything. Then I think one day my desire to lose weight overcame my inertia and I was somehow suddenly ready to start. It helped a lot that a friend of mine was on MFP and recommended it to me!

Great topic! I've enjoyed reading everyone's answers!
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    living with my elderly grandmother. She has so many health issues and is so confined by them - I've just decided to do everything now, even though I'm only 29, to make my old age comfortable and fun. I want to be on the floor, doing puzzles and playing with trucks and dolls with my great-grandkids.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    After two years at Art School for Animation, I felt unattractive and hated looking at pictures of myself (sitting in front of a computer until 4am every day is a pretty sure way to gain weight). I also hadn't weighed myself in almost one and a half years at that point... So, I realized that it didn't have to be this way. I should be PROUD of my body, and confident to be myself ALL the time, instead of feeling like I should keep to myself or avoid people.

So to sum it up, basically- it was the realization that I have the power to make myself healthy and happy.
    I did, and still am :)
  • b757
    b757 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    ...because all women's clothes are too small in the wait and way to big in the but and thighs.. such a pain...

10269526.png

Me too. We must be twins :). I have a really hard time with clothes, period, but especially pants. I got tired of hating to shop for clothes.

My husband wanted me to lose weight too, which is going to work out for me in the end because I want him to lose some weight, which he is already doing, and to build more muscle. It works both ways :)
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I could not buckle the seat belt on the only ride I like to go on at the amusement park (the river rapids). After getting in and sitting down I had to get back up and exit in front of everyone. I acted like it was okay but it wasn't.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    One of my friends called me fat.
  • Burtmas
    Burtmas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good for you :smile: That is great.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    size 16 denim skirt being too snug. so gross, so unhealthy.
  • Burtmas
    Burtmas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There was a multitute of triggers for me. I didn't like the way I felt or looked and I was worried about my future health. Heart disease is really a big thing in my family and I didn't want to freely give myslef to Heart Disease. Especially when I have a beautiful family. Plus I wanted to look amazing for my husband.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bought a size small shirt without trying it on first thinking it would fit. Got home and put it on- it didn't fit.
  • maritenour
    maritenour Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Being too large for rollercoasters!
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    it was our anniversary (19 years) and my husband joined the gym on his lunch break. he called me and told me to go join, too, so i did. it was our anniversary gift to each other. we were tired of feeling fat and old.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Let's see ...

Having to buy a size 32 gown for my wedding (and driving to another state to buy it!)
    Having people ask me when I was due when I wasn't pregnant
    Getting checked by sorors for "making them look bad"
    Breaking my back for the first of many public events at work and being relegated to the office to answer phones
    Having to start medications for my high blood pressure
  • ambibambie
    Options
    i noticed every time i looked in the mirror or my jeans were too tight (im tall soo i look really out of place with extra weight)
  • anshaw03
    anshaw03 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been asked if I was pregnant more than once. I am just a person that carries all of my weight in my stomach but I am really, really tired of that. I'm 23, I shouldn't be like this!
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Too long to bore everyone with so I put it in the blog section

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RahBuhBuh
  • staceytucker
    Options
    My friend's wedding in which I was a bridesmaid and my 21st birthday. I piled on the weight after turning 18 and getting my first office job.
  • tammyraymo
    tammyraymo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Going on a cruise in June & I don't want to be the beached whale :laugh:
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I successfully completed rehabilitation therapy after my accident, only to find that I was 40+ lbs heavier than when I started. :-/ I remember going into my orthopedist and screaming "HOW FAT DO I HAVE TO GET BEFORE YOU FIX THIS???"

Once I was mobile again, I figured out that I was miserable, not only because of my injuries and weight gain, but because my life was totally effed up. I quit my job, bought a horse, started riding again, and I hired a wellness coach to get me started on my weight loss.

For me, this wasn't just about the weight, it was waking up to the fact that I was miserable and deciding to do something about it... ALL of it.