What do *you* put hummus on?

Options
1235»

Replies

• feduh86
    feduh86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If you want a snack, hummus is good with pita bread (like others have said), to put a spice to it, it is good with cayenne pepper sprinkled on top with olive oil and onions (cut up in a bowl that you take a bite of along with a bite of pita bread dipped in hummus =)
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    a spoon :)
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I mix it in my tuna! Great tasting and so much better then using mayo!

awsome idea! Thank you for sharing!!!
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    [what a great ideaquote]
    I love putting it on an omelette... or make an egg sandwich - egg, turkey bacon, and hummus on toast. Sounds kinda weird but it's AMAZING.
    [/quote]
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I eat the roasted red pepper hummus quite often too -- i like it with bell pepper strips, broccoli, cauliflower, and cucumbers.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It goes with anything! If you get a spicy kind or really flavorful type you can use it as a low calorie spread on sandwiches instead of cheese or other higher calorie dressings.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Had homemade hummus on my lunch salad instead of dressing today :)
    Yum!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I just had some tonight. I smeared it on my steak and had it with some raw vegetables. It's good just by itself too.
  • blockhead922
    Options
    Whole wheat pita bread is pretty good!! Any sort of corn tortilla chips.
    My personal favorite is baby carrots

oh!!! Try Sabra's roasted pine nut hummus it's SO good!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I used to make a hummus, avocado, alfalfa sprout sandwich. YUM! There is this corner store down the block from me, owner was a Chef in Lebanon. He makes his own hummus and sells it at the store. THE BEST hummus in the city of Chicago!
  • parisdancing4u
    Options
    I put it on flatbread
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers, carrots, celery.
  • Redfieldr
    Options
    I put Roasted Red Pepper Hummus on Homemade Pizza (Instead of Pizza Sauce)...

It's AMAZING!
  • Sweetrayray80
    Options
    Half a pita pocket, open it up, spread hummus inside add cucumber, bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts and any other vegetable you like!
    Love it with pita chips or pretzel crisp(just ate this today)
    Also be sure to try the different kinds. My husband loves the Sabra's super spicy hummus, but my favorites are the crushed olive hummus and roasted red pepper hummus.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    BBQ or Cheese flavoured Rice Crackers...mmmmmmmm!
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Here's what you do.

Spread some hummus on the plate.
    Top with chopped red pepper, red onion, tomato, cucumber, and kalamata olives. (or any other veggie you think would be yummy)
    Sprinkle with feta cheese.
    Can also add fresh dill.

Eat with pita bread wedges, stacy pita chips or tortilla chips.

Yum, yum, yum.
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    LOVE bean dips of any kind. They're so easy to make and then you can control the salt, the fat and the protein.

If you're making your own, the basics are a can of beans (chick peas for hummus, sub in any other kind of bean if you want to shake it up....I like white kidney beans a lot!), a tbsp or so of tahini, I use most of the juice of a lemon, a few grinds of sea salt, a clove or two of garlic. Blend and enjoy. I use water instead of oil to thin it out if it's too thick.

From there, the sky's the limit.

If I use a white bean I'll often throw in a few handfuls of baby spinach...it thins out well and makes a really creamy sauce for pasta.

Chickpeas make it a bit thicker and I will add whatever herbs, roasted garlic,chilis, veggies I feel like that day and make a sandwich/pita etc. I've even ground up soaked, raw sunflower seeds into bean dips. It's awesome if you're having company too because it's easy to make, it impresses people and again, you have control over how many calories you make it.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all of the answers so these have probably been discussed already but I put hummus on:

- raw veggies
    - sandwiches with sprouts and cucumber
    - crackers
    - pita chips
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    crackers, pretzels, carrot sticks, sandwiches, pita bread.
  • bbycarrot
    Options
    MMMM I love hummus :) Sometimes I just like eating it from the tub with a spoon! I usually eat it with sweet peppers, baby carrots, & in sandwiches :). Try the brand 'Eating Right'. Eating Right has 40 calories per 2 tbsp. and I think it's almost as good as Sabra's.