How much do you pay for your gym membership?

Options

Replies

• systemofdef
    Options
    I'm in the uk so not much of a comparison but for la fitness I pay £24 a month, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam, gym and loads of classes every week. they are so easy to knock down in price if you keep trying :)
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We have a family membership for the YMCA and it costs $79/month. Our children are young, so this includes 2 hours of child care per day per child. Our Y has 2 pools, a big slide, bunches of cardio machines, weight machines, free weighs, a circuit training area, 2 courts, classes, an outdoor track, 5 locker rooms (one for women 18+, one for men 18+, one for girls, one for boys and a family locker room). There's also a "family room" that has sofas, arm chairs, booths, tables, etc and a gigantic 3 story structure for kids to play on. They love it and so do we!

Bonus, they're opening up a Subway restaurant in our Y next month and there are doctors offices, physical therapy, labs and xrays on site.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    We have a family membership at the YMCA as well, and it costs $78/month. It is a really nice facility, but not quite as nice as the previous post made by piebird79
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have FREE family membership to my Y (largest in the country) in exchange for volunteering (I teach 2 spin classes and 1 dance class each week, and sub other classes sometimes). Check out your local Y and see if they offer free membership for volunteers. Mine uses volunteers in every department (not just fitness instructors) and requires only 2 volunteer hours per week for free membership.

I have volunteered with Ys in FL, CA and TX and each has had slightly different benefit plans. Check it out!

BTW, in January, many Ys have an open house where they waive the joining fee, and/or you can join in January for the cost of the date (i.e., $1 on the 1st, $13 on the 13th, etc.).

blessings.
  • rick5957
    rick5957 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    50 a month use to be 100 a year and i lapse a couple of months of payment and lost the offer. still worth it though.
  • rick5957
    rick5957 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i should turn to that instead maybe buy some work out equip probably cheaper than paying monthly
  • fantabuloushoney
    Options
    I joined LAFitness on July 4th and got a great deal. $29.95 a month and then Health Partners reimburses me $20 when I go 12 times a month.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    119...renaissance club sport...its more along the lines of a country club, but gym. I go there because its the best and clean.
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness- I pat about 20/ month. It reminds me of Average Joe's from Dodge Ball. Its ok, it gets the job done. The "trainers" that are there dont really train people, just tell them what to do but not how to do it...
  • zombiefruit
    Options
    We used to pay about £80 per month for me, my husband, our then-8-year-old and our then-2-year-old, and the facilities were top notch (at Total Fitness). We do, in fact, intend to reprise our memberships, but our gym usage slipped and we basically didn't really have time to attend anymore. We also prioritised our debts and so we cancelled... But when we start getting somewhere debt-wise and free up some more time (both our careers have been very time-intensive) we'll get back to it.

I'm currently considering getting a cheapie gym-and-pool subscription to my local leisure centre, which is £14 per month. Ideal? No. There are no classes included, and I like classes a lot. But if I can swim as much as I like and use their exercise equipment, it's got everything I really need.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    nothing at home gal here...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I sent an email to the gym near me because they have an indoor track. I wanted to know how much a month to use it. All I want to use is the track during the snowy winter month because I feel that is will be dangerous to run on the roads when they are messy with snow and ice.

The lady called and said that membership is only for the whole gym.

Ok well how much a month?

It a one-time fee of $75, and then $65 a month...

I laughed and said Sorry but that is too much a month for me to just run on your track..

So to me this price even to use the whole gym seems outrageous so what do you pay a month for your membership?

The gym my husband belongs to costs him £31 per month. I just stuck that into a currency converter thingy and it is around $48.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I pay 1x a year, $299 + tax so that about $25 a month. On renewal they gave me 2 months free, sweet! My work pays $300 annually for gym memberships so it only cost me the tax out of pocket, $35. Makes me feel good to pay so little because my true love lies with at home DVD's, did Turbo Jam for 4 years, 1 year gym and have now started Turbo Fire but also renewed my gym membership so if I only go to the gym 1x a week for spinning on Saturday (my other fitness love) then I'm not wasting any money.

Goodlife was >2x as much $25 by-weekly + tax and yet they keep calling me asking why I didn't join their gym. Apparently the "free" $300 I get from work somehow is justified that I should spend another $400 out of pocket a years for no apparent reason, IQ of the employees seems to be pretty bad at the one location I went to, LOL!
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    i pay £49 per month at Virgin Active Health Club, which includes every machine going, loads of cool stuff like TRX and vipr training, numerous studios, 167 classes a week, a pool, sauna, steam and full showers etc.

i also get my own fitness coach who trains me included.
  • pammypk1
    pammypk1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Before I started work at a gym, I had joined Planet Fitness beforehand. At the time it was 10.00 a month
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    My gym has a two large areas for weights, a large spinning room, a very large studio for group classes, the second floor is for all the cardio machines. It also has a nice sized lap pool, a spa that will hold 10 people comfortably and a sauna. No walking trail or track though. I pay $29 for myself and another $10 so I can have up to two guests workout with me for if my hubby wanted to come with me.

My gym is an LA fitness gym, by the way and I love it!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Mine is a full service LA Fitness, and by pre-paying for three years (it was like $225/month each month three times), I got it for $20/month. I can go to any LA Fitness, and now, they have joined forces with Bally's, so I can go to any Bally's too. I'm SO happy with mine :love:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I pay $25 per month and I can go to Anytime, Snap, Olympus, Golds and local gyms.
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I pay $20.00 a month for my gym. It is so worth it because they just moved and have so much equipment. Plus start next month I can take spin classes and I LOVE spin class.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I paid for a year in advance through a local special offer. It cost about $23 USD for each month. Usually though, my gym costs $47.50/month for a complete membership and about ~$35 for a nonpeak hours membership.

There is a big pool, hot tub, and fitness classes in addition to the regular weight room and ellipticals/treadmills/stationary bike room.