The QUIT KIDDING YOURSELF thread!

Options

Replies

• vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    You should change the title of this thread to "Make it count"
    Nah, because the point is that there are people who totally kid themselves into thinking they do really workout. They already think they are "making it count" when it's further from the truth.

total self-denial...it's a riot to hear the excuses, esp while idling in the drive-thru :sad:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

total self-denial...it's a riot to hear the excuses, esp while idling in the drive-thru :sad:
    Where I run every morning, I pass by Carl's Jr's with the drive thru side facing the side walk I run on. When I see a really overweight person ordering ( and you can hear them) I say to myself under my breath "DON'T DO IT!!!"

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    While exercising here in San Diego at my BIL's Tennis club, I watched a guy tell another guy that the best way to lose belly weight is to not eat any meat at all and do yoga. Of course I held my tongue since it's not my club, but crap like this is why people get confused about weight loss.

WTF??? No meat? YOGA? Geez..........You tell 'em, Niner! I get sooooo tired of people coming up and asking me for advice, and when I give it to them, they say, "Oh, but I don't wanna get big" or "I don't have time for that" or whatever. Look, you either make it a priority or you don't.

So I've started telling them that I'll be happy to write up a program for them if they'd like to hire me. It's not that I'm not willing to help people for free, but this weeds out the half-assed ones. When people are paying for something, they tend to be more committed to it.

So far, no one's taken me up on the offer. Sigh...................
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This may come as a surprise to you, but some women don't want to look muscly, hence why they start with small weights and do more of them.

When I do weight machines (I know, I know... I will get to the free weights) I do 30 to 80# for all the upper body stuff, depending on what I can handle on that particular machine. So that's 15 to 40# per arm.

Here's my arms in May when the most I did was 5# dumbbells plus body weight exercises. I wasn't yet able to do pushups from toes so I did modified ones from the knees. I started lifting at the gym in June or July. My arms are stronger, more defined, and I have no problem doing pushups from the toes now, but I'm no where near big or muscly.

5-to11.jpg

Starting with small weights if fine! But if you're only sticking with them out of fear of becoming She-Hulk, that's a misconception.

More photos in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/404861-more-of-those-scary-scary-girl-muscles
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Soooo rep range....my trainer has me on 3 sets of 15 - part of my goal is to enhance my swimming so I wonder if he is aiming for endurance.

But I want to be stronger and defined (for strong bones too not just muscles) so I am wondering - is the 8-10 range the best for that?

stole this from one of my favorite sites:
    Reps in the 1-5 range build super dense muscle and strength (called myofibrillar hypertrophy).
    Reps in the 6-12 range build a somewhat equal amounts of muscular strength and muscular endurance.
    Reps in the 12+ range build muscular endurance and size (this is called sarcoplasmic hypertrophy).

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • ninjabarbie
    ninjabarbie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "I appreciate the help the OP offers, but does anyone else find this a little high and mighty? I don't need to stand out and be told that very overweight people tend to not work as hard as they need. Thanks for telling me that those who fail are failing because they aren't doing the successful things right. I just need more Tim McCarver commentary"

I have seen thin people and overweight people not workout hard. It doesn't have anything to do with the weight someone carries. It's the effort.
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing

Personally, when I leave the gym I look horrible. If you walk out after a workout with every hair in place and looking like you did when you walked in... you aren't being productive.
  • NinjaMonkey201
    Options
    If my arms and legs don't feel like noodles when I'm done working out, then I know I didn't push hard enough. :-)
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So true - if you are going to the gym, work out, if you are going to socialize, find another spot! Any chance you could do a QUIT KIDDING YOURSELF to focus on 'healthy' food people eat rather than excercise???
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    It can be applied to so much in life. I have a cousin who does nothing, but complain about how much the government is spending on government jobs...................and he works for the government.
    [/quote]

lol!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i see people using weight machines and practically filing their nails while they do it.. it kills me to see it because i know they are wasting their time. i got a trainer in july of 2010 and never looked back to those days of not knowing what the heck i was doing and thinking i did. i didnt become obese because i was doing the right thing! my trainer is my savior and taught me so much. he isnt afraid to set me straight when i get cocky either. we have a love hate relationship and i wouldnt give him up for anything. he is worth every dime so that i work over time to pay for his services,knowledge and support
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, Ninerbuff--it's a good reminder. I am not weak, so the amount of weight I am lifting usually looks good/adequate compared to other women, but I usually lift 2 sets of 15 even though I want to get stronger. I know I need to sack up and be lifting heavier (and shake off the mild fear that I will be pinned under a barbell after chest presses someday--some big dude would help me, right?). I am a runner, but I want to focus on getting stronger this year and finally getting the extra weight off, not building endurance. I always enjoy and appreciate your posts.

The thing about women wearing clothes too small is a continual source of bafflement to me. Someday peek in on a "how much do you weigh and what size clothes do you wear" thread here--it's astounding. Women who are 180 talking about size 8 pants blow my mind. What must those poor pants look like, holding on for dear life like that?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The thing about women wearing clothes too small is a continual source of bafflement to me. Someday peek in on a "how much do you weigh and what size clothes do you wear" thread here--it's astounding. Women who are 180 talking about size 8 pants blow my mind. What must those poor pants look like, holding on for dear life like that?

When I weighed 180, I wore a size 8.. and I can tell you for a fact that my pants were not holding on for dear life. They fit fine because I found the right cut for my body at that time.

Don't see why it's so mind blowing.. a lot of people who are that weight can wear a size 8. It all depends on the brand and fit of the pant.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So the "New Year's Resolutioners" were in today in force! And man, many were being very overzealous in than what their actual fitness state really was. I had to help 3 individuals out who got dizzy and needed to sit.

If you are NEW, then go easy. It's not a race.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So working out with a new client who has been stuck for over 3 months, 2 weeks ago I bombarded her with weights she's never used before. Yesterday after working out with her (we meet every 2 weeks) we spoke for a few minutes and she told me that she couldn't believe that for this long she thought she was working out really hard...............until our first session. EX: she used to squat with 30lbs on her back. Our first session, I loaded it up to 70lbs. She was really apprehensive, but did it. She is now convinced that she was "kidding herself" that she wasn't able to lift heavy and that's why she stuck to all the light weights. She's already seen a 3lb drop where she hasn't seen any weight movement for 5 months.
    No fear, no doubt, no light weights!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just a reminder that if you think you're really working hard, eating correctly, and getting enough rest, but aren't getting results from measurements and weight loss, then you're probably kidding yourself on at least one of the 3. Buck up and reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And yesterday..................

There's a guy who always tries to talk to me about fitness how IMPORTANT it is and how Crossfit is probably the best way to get fit doing it. I see him deadlifting (with a rounded back) and then later he's gone for about 15 minutes from the rack. I see him return later and when he speaks to me there's a DISTINCT smell of cigarette on his breath. Didn't know he smoked until just then.

Dude, quit kidding yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I agree that being able to laugh and carry on while you are working out is kinda week, but when women start out after not doing anything for a long time, 5-8 dumbells are all we can do at first. Now, granted, I'm up to 12's (lighter for shoulders because I have weak shoulders that I'm working on). I've always felt that form was better than heavy weight. If I can do a 8 full squats with 20 pounds total in my hands, or 8 1/2 squats with 40, I'm gonna go with the first scenario. I do all of my weight training at home, don't lift heavy, but I max out around 10 reps. I have great form and control. I'm good with it. And I'm seeing results.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can only help those who want to help themselves. I have a friend who is at least 50 lbs overweight, but keeps telling me over and over how she can't lose, but is exercising and "I'm eating really good and healthy"

I've tried gently to tell her that she's still doing SOMETHING wrong, because she wouldn't be stuck if she was doing things the right way. I even told her how I thought I was eating good before i joined MFP and started tracking, but even though I've lost 37 lbs, it hasn't managed to inspire her enough..and that makes me sad!

I suspect some people just like to live in denial, because its easier than doing the work to change things!