Who believes in Internet Dating?

Options

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends......from your post I take it you mean internet dating as in, meet online and carry out your entire relationship online and never meeting in person. Um, IMO that's nuts. That's not dating, that's not a relationship. That's being in love with a fantasy.

However if you mean meeting someone on the internet as a way of discovering that this person exists, then meeting up in person shortly after and carrying out a relationship in person then I see nothing wrong with it. I did not meet my husband online, we were set up by his cousin, but I did go on a few dates with guys I met online. The way I see it, as long as you meet in person relatively quickly, it is no different than meeting someone at a bar or in the grocery store. It is just an avenue for person A to discover person B.

Granted none of my guys that I met online worked out, but neither did any of the men I met "in real life" did either except my husband (duh). You can meet some real weirdos online, but that's true of meeting in person as well. I personally know two people who married the person they met online. They are very normal, and it worked out well for them.
  • kcb315
    kcb315 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i've dated many people over the internet. I have a boyfriend right now he lives in Florida I live in Pennsylvania. We've been together for 2 years. he's moving here in March :) We talk on the phone every day and it's going great :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    What?! Santa isn't real?!?!? :sad:

Sure he is.:flowerforyou:

Wanna go out with me?
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I met my ex-husband online. He did not live near me, but was from the same state I was (he was relocated when he joined the military). We talked online for a month or so before we met in person. It didn't work out, but I don't think it was because we met online. I was very young, only 18 when we met and 20 when we married. I had never been in a relationship before and was extremely naive and he turned out to be very controlling after we had been together for awhile. I also dated other people I met online after he and I split up that lived in the same town as I did, they didn't work out either for various reasons. My current boyfriend of almost 3 years and I met in person where I worked as a waitress, he was a customer. If you were to look at my experience, I guess it would seem like it is a bad idea, but it does work out well for lots of other people.

Bottom line: I think if you are going to meet someone online, it is better to live in the same general area as they do. Long distance relationships are difficult even if you do eventually meet. Like others said, anyone can be dishonest, online or off. I would never date someone I met at a bar though. People who frequently hang out at bars in my experience are usually not mature enough for a relationship and often have problems with alcohol. I think meeting people online is a better option at least.
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    I did not do internet dating. Which means I did not mean to meet my now husband on the internet. We just met up in a forum with a similar interest and started talking from there. As we both lived only an hour apart, we met at a party in real life pretty fast, decided we like to hang out with each other as friends, and the rest is history *lol* We had both been in a phase when we did not look for anything, but apparently it was meant to be.

I do not think I would go to an internet dating site as match.com or the like to meet somebody. I just doubt that many of those profiles are truthful. People can represent themselves as they want and invent a double life.

This sounds like me and my OH too. We're both into football (or soccer!), and met each other on a related forum. We only lived half an hour away from each other, but we chatted with the group and occasionally alone for about 3 or 4 months before we met. I wouldn't classify that 'chatting' as 'dating'.

We met in person on valentine's day 2008, and have been together ever since :)
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Internet Dating or just meeting someone online? How do you date via the internet? ..

I met my husband online 8 years ago before it was the kewl thing to do. We threw a couple emails back and forth and then met in person... He moved in 6 months later ... proposed 7 months after that, and got married August 24th, 2007

The one thing about meeting someone online is you can look specifically what your looking for and you can be yourself before you have to be someone else (first impression). If you don't like them, than you never hurt someone you knew.

I agree with the person that stated you get to screen them, and you don't have that "friends of friends" attachment.
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do Internet dating sites but I only go on to meet the people then I meet them in person before I get all caught up in the lies some give. I alway meet them as soon as I can. I don't like wasting my time on people who might be lying to me. Online dating does work I've met a couple of great guys ( currently not with any of them or with anyone) Online dating is just an easy way to meet people fast.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I met my BF on POF too! :) We will be dating 2 years in March, have talked about marriage and having kids. I think there is a difference between internet dating, which to me sounds like the OP thinks its the whole relationship online vs. what my bf and I did. We talked for about a week through email and text message, met up, and liked each other. We ended up living 2 miles apart in a relatively large city, we could have met at bar... just as well as online. I'll take the sober lies versus the drunk ones people can't live up to at all when you meet someone at the bar!
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    No offence to anyone who have met their partner through internet but I was just wondering what's your thought on this topic?

I personally wouldn't do internet dating because for me I see it as "What is the point in all this, if you cant hold your man/women in person, go out to dinner or just hang out in general, and how you know if he is actually faithful," for me you can never trust someone's words . For me words mean nothing. & obveriously If I don't see the guy in person, how would i know If he's not cheating regardless of all the phone calls you two have made, Skype'd etc..

I don't know, Personally I just don't get the whole point in it, for me its just a waste of time and always better to have the real thing then computer screen esp even worse if they live in another COUNTRY!. Sorry if anyone finding this a bit offensive and don't mean too but if you have found love through internet then Congratulations. :)

It all depends on the people I think. I met my husband on line. I took a major risk, which isn't something I recommend. He lived in NY at the time, and I lived in and still live in AZ. He was moving out here to start a new life, as he was getting divorced and looking for new friends. He originally was coming out here for some one else who he thought he had fallen in love with, but she was getting married and playing mind games. He messaged me on Myspace because he thought I looked familiar. Turned out that a few days before that we had both had the same dream about each other, before even meeting.
    He came out here a few weeks later, and we met and have been together since. It has been almost 4 years (In September)
    I was the first person to tell him it like it was and point things out about a few things he never thought of, with things in his life. He has been there for me through EVERYTHING. all my medical issues, my weight gain, and he still treats me as though I am a super hot sexy model,even though I am 100 pounds overweight.

However I also met my FIRST husband on line, and that didn't work out. :/
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The internet is a great way now to meet new people. It's just another communication tool, nothing more. Now, if the dating only occurs through the internet and you never meet face to face is something I wouldn't do.

I met my wonderful boyfriend on the internet over 4 years ago and we are still together and going strong and have a great family together. We are not married yet because I wanted to finish school and lose weight so i look good in my wedding dress (which I did lose the weight, so only 1 more year of school left!). I wasn't even looking for a relationship, he just sent me a very nice message online saying he just moved to town and wondered if I would like to go out on a date. I'm very glad I did!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome. I met my wife over 10 years ago and we are very happy. Good dating profile and honesty = good matches.
  • szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When people ask how my husband and I met.. I must confess it was "online" but not in the stereotypical way... 11 yrs ago "internet dating" wasn't really what it is now. I was actually playing first persons shooters online with my stepdad (yes, dorky, I know.. but hey, it was fun when I was young LOL)... I happen to have yahoo messenger open (not even in a chat room) and this "weirdo" started messaging me, and would NOT go away.. after a few HRS I finally gave in and decided to "entertain" him and find out what he wanted... well, about a month later he had a plane ticket to Cali (he was from Indiana), spent 10 days with me, met my daughter after I realized he WASN'T that much of a weirdo LOL... My life plan when he went home was already to move to MO, but he called and said Hey, why don't you move here? To Indy.. if you don't like it you can always go to MO. What the heck right? Live life on the edge.. I had a yard sale, sold everything I could and my (then) 4 yr old and I hopped on a bus. 24 hrs later we were residents of Indiana.. We've been together for 11 yrs, married for 5 (almost) and have 2 wonderful girls (he IS my oldest daughters father.. donating sperm doesn't make you a dad...love, care and respect make you one). We have been through our ups and downs, but I wouldn't have it any other way. But without Yahoo? Where would we be? It was an act of God to bring us together.. and to commment on your statement, everything happens for a reason. Your life is already planned out (although you just THINK you are making choices). Your other half is out there.. for some of you it's right around the corner, and for others, its 2,000 + miles away... Just always keep your mind and heart open and it will come to you.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I met my ex-husband online. He did not live near me, but was from the same state I was (he was relocated when he joined the military). We talked online for a month or so before we met in person. It didn't work out, but I don't think it was because we met online. I was very young, only 18 when we met and 20 when we married. I had never been in a relationship before and was extremely naive and he turned out to be very controlling after we had been together for awhile. I also dated other people I met online after he and I split up that lived in the same town as I did, they didn't work out either for various reasons. My current boyfriend of almost 3 years and I met in person where I worked as a waitress, he was a customer. If you were to look at my experience, I guess it would seem like it is a bad idea, but it does work out well for lots of other people.

Bottom line: I think if you are going to meet someone online, it is better to live in the same general area as they do. Long distance relationships are difficult even if you do eventually meet. Like others said, anyone can be dishonest, online or off. I would never date someone I met at a bar though. People who frequently hang out at bars in my experience are usually not mature enough for a relationship and often have problems with alcohol. I think meeting people online is a better option at least.

Wow that is what I went though with my first husband. We met in a chat room on line. I was 17 and he was 21. We met and dated for 2 years, got married, had a kid, then I found out everything was a lie.
    I am with my second husband now, and he is wonderful. We met on Myspace lol
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met on Eharmony almost 3 years ago and just celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversay!

think about it- 40 years ago, people met in high schoool or college and then got married- our generations didn't necessarily do that- so at 30, 35 you are still single- you already know everyone at work, you already have your social group- where are you supposed to meet new prospective partners? in a bar? that gets old- and your friends eventually get tired of setting you up with their single friends. The internet allows for a great intriduction!

You just have to rememeber to be careful, just as you would when meeting a new mate anywhere- I always made sure a friend knew who I was going out with (name and phone number) and where we were going on first (and sometimes second) dates- it never hurts to be overly cautious- and I NEVER let a date know where I lived until at least the third date- you just have to play it safe!

good luck!!!
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I see internet dating as just another means to meet someone. No different really than meeting someone in the grocery store, bar, etc. I wouldn't say I was "dating" anyone unless I had met them, gone on a few dates, etc. I'm a busy professional, I don't like bars, and so internet dating was perfect for me. I had some fun, met some interesting people and eventually met a wonderful man who became my husband. In April we will celebrate our second wedding anniversary!
  • danielssmith
    danielssmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I met my partner of 6 years through internet dating. I use the internet for business and pleasure and have met loads of people who have become good friends through some of the interest groups I belong to, real people who meet face to face and not freaks. (mainly middle aged soccer fans who want to meet up for a couple of pints before the match or fellow writers who need inspiration).
    It's just another way of meeting people. But get them off line quickly and meet face to face. Surely its better than waiting for some one to set you up on a blind date or being chatted up in a bar.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    I think I might be missing something. I don't think I have ever heard of someone developing a 'committed' romantic relationship on line and that's as far as it went. It's not even logical.

Meeting someone, having conversations, getting to know them some .. but without face to face time, that is not really a committed relationship. You can perhaps fall in love with who you 'think' that person is may be possible. The heart (your emotional element) doesn't care whether or not there is physical contact and may be completely convinced that this is all safe and good .. but the brain (the logical element) might have some trouble with it.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I can't explain it but online I am 1,000x better at meeting women than I am in person. And I never lie about who I am or hide my flaws or anything like that. I guess it's just easier for me to talk to a girl this way.

My last girlfriend I met on a LOST forum. She was beautiful and sexy as hell and absolutely crazy about me too.

MAN was she crazy! Took me forever to get rid of that one!
  • OPC2011
    OPC2011 Posts: 17
    Options
    I met my boyfriend online, and he lives about 45 minutes to an hour away. I've never been happier. Doesn't 1 in 5 relationships come from the internet?

If you're talking about never seeing each other, meaning only strictly internet and/or phone, it's stupid and not worth it. When I was younger I thought I could keep one going, and the boy lived in Alaska. I don't regret what I did, but I now know that it's pretty silly to try and have one online.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've never had much success with it but I know people that it has worked for. I also know a couple who met on Facebook. He lived in Ohio and she lived in California. They've been married for about 5 years now.