WOMEN ONLY! IUD Question

Options

Replies

• Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    I've had Paragard for 7 years and it's wonderful. IUDs have been around forever and aren't any riskier than any other type of BC. I HIGHLY recommend Paragard! Yes, it does hurt to get put it. They dilate you a little bit to put it in so it hurts quite a bit. I had my boyfriend take me, which was the best choice. Have someone drive you home, you'll be in pain and super uncomfortable for the first day or so. However, the pain doesn't last long, and as I said I've had mine for about 7 years and the pain is a distant memory. I think it's completely worth the day or two of hurting to not even have to think about BC for years. Don't let it scare you too much. I haven't had kids, so it's not like I've ever been dilated before. Good luck to you!
  • Kris31280
    Options
    I've had the mirena IUD since November of 2005, and even had the old one removed (about a year early) and a new one put in. There was cramping involved, and it only lasted for about 3 or 4 days. Knowing that I'm 98% protected from an unwanted pregnancy at this stage of my life is totally worth it.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I looked into it because a friend of mine got one after she had her baby and they recommend it for people who have previously given birth, otherwise there's a greater chance of it piercing the uterine wall. I decided to stick with the pill, but a different one that makes me less crabby.

Having a child previously just marginally decreases the chance of expulsion, not perforation of the uterine wall. In fact, women who have an IUD put in >6 weeks after giving birth have a slightly higher chance of perforation because the uterus may not have finished contracting back to its original size.

To answer the OP's original question: for me, it hurt like a *****. The "sounding," (where they measure the depth of your uterus to ensure proper placement) was the most painful part. I just took a couple of Advil before going in - if you have the good stuff, I would suggest using it.

However, I will probably do this again in 3 years when my 5 year Mirena needs to be replaced. A day where I hate being female is worth 5 years of worry-free and inexpensive birth control that I don't even have to think about. A lot of insurance companies will almost fully cover an IUD now. Just make sure that your doctor actually stocks the devices in their office - if you have to order them on your own with a Rx then your insurance may try to bill you for it differently - it made a $500 difference for me when my insurance tried to claim an IUD as "durable medical equipment" since my Dr didn't stock Mirenas. I changed Drs to one that keeps them in the office and my cost went down to a $20 copay.

Since this is in the diet/weight loss forum, I'll also throw in that for the first few months I had bleeding issues right after strenuous workouts. This did eventually go away, but it was inconvenient for a little while.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I got the paraguard about 5 years ago after a blood clot scare. It was recommended I go off of hormonal birth control.

I'm seriously the world's biggest wimp when it comes to pain and I found insertion "mildly uncomfortable". I had given birth before and insertion was done during my cycle, which apparently is the time to do it.

I've had no issues with heavy bleeding or anything since having paraguard. It has been great.
  • tenquilts
    Options
    I had Paragard for seven years. It was a bit of a pinch going in, but that's all. It was the greatest, most cost-effective (insurance paid all but $25) birth control ever. Also, I suppose there is a string that is supposed to descend into the vagina so that you know it's still in, but mine went up into the uterus within the first month (an ultrasound revealed it was still there). So it was going to be an outpatient procedure to remove. I ended up having a hysterectomy a few months ago because of the heavy bleeding and cramping I was experiencing, and they took it out then. That was more likely related to fibroid tumors rather than the IUD, but I can't say for certain. At any rate, since I am ultra-sensitive to hormones and cannot take pills or any hormonal-based birth control, it was a great option for me while I needed birth control.
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I'd go with the Mirena simply because of the hormones. Paragard has zero hormones and that's what I'm wanting. I can't go completely off of BC because I'm not ready for children with my husband yet. So, it's either stay on the low dose BC pill I'm on currently (& paying $45/mo.)...or get the Paragard IUD which will last me at least 10 years, but can be taken out when I want to start having children.

I already have anxiety, but that's just my personality. LOL.
    Before you have an IUD inserted check with your insurance company because some won't cover the cost of the insertion or the device
  • gizokers
    Options
    I have the mirena, and it wasn't that painful. I've had it long enough to where i had to get a new one and it wasn't that painful the second time around either. Had cramping but nothing intolerable.
  • atiffany1
    Options
    I am on the Copper IUD, and have never had any issues with it. It was a bit of a pinch going in, but honestly, it probaly has to do with your Dr. on how much it hurts. I have had a papsmear hurt worse than getting the iud put in, and it was just the difference in the Dr. You should just check it when you are showering to make sure its there and hasn't fallen out. The chances are slim that it would but it does happen. I have had mine for about 3 and 1/2 years. The great thing about it is that it doesn't have hormones that make you gain weight and if you are a really forgetful person like me, you don't have to worry about birth control at all for 10 years.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have the copper and wish I got the Mirena. My period got longer and my pms is worst (could be age related but I only noticed after the insertion).
    Insertion wasn't painful, like a pinch. But you do cramp up for a few days after. Pain meds and rest help. It's not Terrible.
    It's worth it for piece of mind.
  • smcandoit
    Options
    I have had two different IUD's. They both hurt slightly. I bled a little after both. They hurt a little to very uncomfortable for the first year. I cut down on the caffiene a lot and that really helped. I did fine after insertion of both. Check to see if you insurance will pay for it though. Mine did not pay for the Merina.
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had one for a while and had it taken out. Some friends have had them and loved them.

I had Mirena, and it was pretty awful to get put in (I almost passed out), and I had bleeding for probably 6 weeks following placement, then was pretty irregular. At about a year I totally stopped having any spotting, but never stopped having some weird discharge (evidently your body rejects that kind of thing sometimes). I was worried about getting cysts or other side effects, but I never had any. I also was worried I could potentially hurt myself climbing, but never had that problem either.

I've heard paraguard makes your periods heavier and that it's more uncomfortable to get placed, but my friend who got it is happy with hers. She's sensitive to birth control (prone to blood clots) so it is a good solution for her.

I'd consider getting an IUD again after I have kids. I guess ultimately I was just worried that it was going to make it hard for me to get pregnant (it took about another year to get regular cycles back again) and felt more comfortable with it out for now.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD. I had one for five years, then got a new one two years ago. Its been wonderful. I didn't experience pain when it was put in - just felt like a pelvic exam. Maybe a little cramping afterwards. After ninety days, I had NO MORE PERIODS and haven't had any in seven years, which has been absolutely wonderful.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I had one, it was painful for insertion. The worst part is that I was one of the small percentage of people that get an infection from it. It resulted in an abdominal surgery and loss of one of my ovaries. I would not get it again.
  • Butterfly3081
    Butterfly3081 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I personally use a diaphragm cause I've heard horrible things about both paraguard and mirena..no hormones involved so no weight gain, no side effects, and no pain.. and I've had 100% prevention on it.
  • progresseeker2311
    Options
    well, I too have the mirena. I had it put in 6 weeks after having my second baby so no pain, but i felt kind of dizzy and woozy for a while after getting home but it went away after a couple hours. the strings were bothersome during sex for a while but they softened up and my hubs doesn't feel them anymore. I sometimes get severe headaches occasionally but other than that, no problems. I've had it since 2009. no periods (except spotting sometimes). works great!
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have Merena! No problems. It didn't hurt and I have no menestral craps and no cycle. Love it!!!

I really think I want to change from Copper to Merena.
  • marce916
    Options
    WELL I HAVE HAD MINES FOR ABOUT ALMOST 2 YEARS.
    I DIDNT EVEN HURT!!!
    I WAS SURRISED THAT I DIDNT EVEN FEEL IT.
    ITS DIFFRENT FOR MOST WOMAN.
    BUT DONT BE AFFAID, IT GIVE YOU CCATIONAL LIGHT CRAMPS, BUT NOTHING MAJOR.
    SO I SUGGEST TO GET IT, LESS WORRY AND LESS STRESS :)
    I WONT HURT.
    JUST REMEMBER "MIND OVER BODY"
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I got Mirena after the birth of my twins 3 years ago. I will not be getting a new one when it expires in 2 years. It took over a year for my bleeding to stop. I litterally bled at all times for over a year. I got rashes from it being continually damp in that area because the bleeding wasn't enough for a tampon so I continually had to wear pads. After the year mark my ob put me on a birth control pill in hopes that it would regulate my period. It took 3 horribly hormonal months but it got it figured out. Now I have a week and a half period and approx 2 and a half weeks of non bleeding. I hate it and can't wait for it to be over. The only thing good was that I don't have to worry about getting pregnant again until I am ready. And the only reason I haven't had it taken out is because it cost me 400 bucks to have it put in with insurance and to have it removed costs 300 bucks. I am getting my 700 bucks out of this stupid form of birth control if it takes all five years. As for my husband he felt it poking him for 2 years. Made him not want to continue and "gun shy" in a way which also sucks. Hope this helps you.

Sounds like they trimmed your strings too short if they were poking your husband for that long. Mine were left long enough to curl around the cervix and I've never had that issue. Had your Dr done many insertions before?

I can't believe they're charging you that much to take it out. All they have to do is pull the strings with forceps - unless it's a more complicated removal (i.e., the strings disappeared back up into the cervix, etc.) that's ridiculous.

I've had intermittent bleeding ever since I got my Mirena, and my acne came back a little, but I had so many issues with pills that I'm sticking with the IUD.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I got Mirena after the birth of my twins 3 years ago. I will not be getting a new one when it expires in 2 years. It took over a year for my bleeding to stop. I litterally bled at all times for over a year. I got rashes from it being continually damp in that area because the bleeding wasn't enough for a tampon so I continually had to wear pads. After the year mark my ob put me on a birth control pill in hopes that it would regulate my period. It took 3 horribly hormonal months but it got it figured out. Now I have a week and a half period and approx 2 and a half weeks of non bleeding. I hate it and can't wait for it to be over. The only thing good was that I don't have to worry about getting pregnant again until I am ready. And the only reason I haven't had it taken out is because it cost me 400 bucks to have it put in with insurance and to have it removed costs 300 bucks. I am getting my 700 bucks out of this stupid form of birth control if it takes all five years. As for my husband he felt it poking him for 2 years. Made him not want to continue and "gun shy" in a way which also sucks. Hope this helps you.

come to think of it i remember the doctor saying he wasn't going to cut the string short since the strings usually wrap around the cervix...that's exactly what mine did! my husband never felt them :)

Sounds like they trimmed your strings too short if they were poking your husband for that long. Mine were left long enough to curl around the cervix and I've never had that issue. Had your Dr done many insertions before?

I can't believe they're charging you that much to take it out. All they have to do is pull the strings with forceps - unless it's a more complicated removal (i.e., the strings disappeared back up into the cervix, etc.) that's ridiculous.

I've had intermittent bleeding ever since I got my Mirena, and my acne came back a little, but I had so many issues with pills that I'm sticking with the IUD.
  • chawntamarie
    Options
    I'm thinking of going off of my BC pills (I've been on them for about 10 years), and I've been looking into getting Paragard. I feel like BC pills are not helpful in my wanting to lose weight, however I don't want to be pregnant either...so, I feel like a hormone-free IUD would be a good solution. Any thoughts? Does anyone have Paragard?

I've read on WebMD that it hurts to get put in...and that scares me a lot. I want to hear what people NOT on WebMD say though. I feel like I should've stayed away from that site....

This may not be a very pleasant thing for some to hear but.........The IUD does not prevent conception. It prevents a fertilized egg from implanting. Many people do not know this.

This is actually a very common misconception about IUDs. IUDs work by stopping sperm from reaching eggs. No sperm = no fertilization.

http://www.fhi360.org/en/RH/Pubs/Network/v20_1/NWvol20-1IUDsperm.htm

When a foreign body is in the uterus, the endometrium reacts by releasing white blood cells, enzymes and prostaglandins; and these reactions of the endometrium appear to prevent sperm from reaching the fallopian tubes. In addition, copper-bearing IUDs release copper ions into the fluids of the uterus and the fallopian tubes, enhancing the debilitating effect on sperm.

Evidence for these mechanisms includes physical examination of women's eggs. When an ovum is fertilized, it begins to produce human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) near the time of implantation. A 1987 study to monitor hCG production in 40 women using IUDs found only one probable fertilized egg among 107 cycles. "Whatever the IUD's specific mechanism of action, it appears that the IUD effectively interrupts the reproductive process before implantation," the study concluded.4

Another way researchers have documented the IUD's mechanism of action is to recover an ovum during a woman's fertile period. Using this approach, researchers recovered ova from 115 women using no contraception and 56 women using IUDs.

Half of the women using no contraception who had intercourse during the fertile period had ova that were consistent in appearance with fertilized eggs. In contrast, none of the ova taken from copper IUD users who had intercourse appeared to be fertilized. Also, no ova were found in the uterus of any of the copper IUD users. "IUDs exert effects that extend beyond the body of the uterus and interfere with steps of the reproductive process that take place before the eggs reach the uterine cavity," concluded Dr. Frank Alvarez and colleagues.5

The levonorgestrel IUD, called an intrauterine system, uses different mechanisms. Like other progestin methods, this device prevents pregnancy primarily by thickening cervical mucus, which inhibits the ability of sperm to enter the uterus.

You're WAY more likely to have a fertilized egg fail to implant or implant and then miscarry if you're not using an IUD.