WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    My heart rate monitor came today.......I wore it for a few hours just to get an idea of my heart rate doing ordinary things......then I wore it for a 25 minute walk with the dogs to find out what my heart rate was while walking them. I won't be using the HRM the way a lot of people do, but I'm loving the information I'm getting from it already.......I love gadgets and this one is no exception. I'm really glad I asked for a lot of opinions and did a lot of thinking before I got it. I'm in no danger of my heart rate going too high, LOL :laugh: but I think it will help me add some more exertion to my workouts and ordinary activities. I've read about research that show that people who carry pedometers walk more steps than people who don't ........I think it might be true that people who wear HRMs exercise more vigorously and burn more calories than people who don't.

:bigsmile: tonight i got to make sure that I could use the heart rate monitor at the same time that I was using my phone/mp3 player with the bluetooth and they all work together so tomorrow morning I can really "suit up and show up" with all my gadgets:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Susan0816
    Susan0816 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone, Sorry it has been so long since I've posted. I will go back and reread them.

It is only the 3rd and I haven't had time to read all the posting. I'm trying to get back into swing from the Holiday's. I did good the week of Christmas but the week of New Years was a disaster!! Gain 3 lbs. So far this week I have lost 1.2 lbs but after tonight's dinner that is debatable. I can do really good until I get home from work then I'm starved. I save my 3 pm snack until 4 when I get home but dinner isn't until 6:30 ish. I either eat what my husband and son eats or fix 2 different dinners. They want meat and rice/potatoes. I bought a lot of vegetables Sunday for stir fry but they refuse to eat them.

I have lost 27 lbs since I started back with MFP in Sept and my goal for Jan is to lose 6 lbs. I know next week will be trying as my husband will be in the hospital then rehab for a week - 10 days. I plan on keeping a lot of granola bars/cheese sticks etc in my purse.

I better get to bed, 5:30 comes awful early.

Susan
  • cindyw7
    cindyw7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How do I become a member of this group so I can find it again? This is my first day on MFP. I have lost about 50 pounds on a different plan. I recently had hiatel hernia surgery and my esophagus will never be the same. It is very difficult for me to swallow raw vegetables and meats without gravy or sauce on them. So the old plan won't work and I'm looking for something that will help me to drop the rest of the weight I need to lose. I'm 62. God bless all of you!
  • judy49650
    judy49650 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good luck with my fitness pal anything has got to be better than an op!! I have just started yesterday after putting on 2.7 kg over Christmas! I am going to be 50 this year and don't want to be fat! Judy
  • judy49650
    judy49650 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Susan, Try having a low cal cup of soup as soon as you get home it will take the edge off your hunger and is quick and easy to make. Judy
  • cindyw7
    Options
    Great will power! Keep up the good work. You CAN do it!
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and Happy New Year! Last year was dominated by a huge weight loss --over 65 pounds. I started in April and was in maintenance mode by the fall, although still losing weight. I have used MFP for about 10 months and really love it!

I was able to survive the holidays with no weight gain and now on to 2012. My goal for 2012, starting with January, is to figure out the right calorie and exercise level to maintain my weight on a pemanent basis. I was able to lose enough to be at the very low end of my weight range to give me some breathing room for the holidays. Now that they are over, I can see what works for my normal routine.

I also want to work on increasing my muscle and core strength this year. So I will continue to work out about 6 days a week and try to add a variety of new exercise classes and training routines. I work with a trainer and he really pushes me, which is what I need. We are working on increased flexibility as well, so it would be good to add some yoga and Pilates ro the mix.

I am thinking about getting a heart rate monitor to help me reach my fitness goals but am not sure yet what kind to buy. I have previously used a Polar watch with a chest strap but am I am intrigued by the newer devices that interact wirelessly with your smartphone or iPod -- I have both. If you have one of those that you like, let me know. I will probably take the plunge and get one soon.

I welcome any friend requests -- you never can have too much support and motivation!
  • kazisindahouse
    kazisindahouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have got to go to work now ... but feeling a bit on a downer ... don't know why, it was my first day back at work yesterday and I'm tired. I also didnt have a good nights sleep. So that could be the reason why. Plus I've woken up with a headache for some reason.

Need loads of positive vibes please ladies !!!!!
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Good Morning, ALL,

This gabby group is growing! Fantastic!

CindyW: You joined this thread just by posting. Just make sure you find us when the new month begins by going to the link at the end of January. Barbie, our fearless leader, will post the new link when February gets here. Good luck and welcome!

JoM: Wow...you've done great. You'll be a great inspiration here!

Barbie: What kind of HRM did you end up purchasing? I am NOT a gadget person, although I have an Iphone, etc. so I need the simplest one. I don't like to read directions! (Typical artist brain)

SuzyQ: My doctor told me the same thing about white potatoes. For some reason, my blood sugar was up BEFORE the holidays, so he said to cut out things like that which our bodies turn into sugar and store. Everyone is different and we just have to do what works for us, don't we? Glad to see you back here!

Jane: How awesome that your sister didn't recognize you! I know that made you feel good. You've done so well:flowerforyou:

I made it through 3 days of the 17 day diet and feel good. I am doing it as a "cleanse" to get the cravings under control after the holidays. I'm just taking it one day at a time and will see how it goes. So far, it has been easy and has worked in that I am not craving any of the "junk" that was around during the holidays and that I ended up eating:grumble:

Have a great day, all! I love to read what everyone is doing and it inspires me. Take care, Kackie:heart::heart:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Super busy day ahead. Just finished my bacon/egg/spinach/onion/cheese scramble and even managed to squeeze in 5 minutes on the elliptical before heading out the door for the day. I'm still a bit surprised to be down 5 lbs in 7 days. :happy: Nothing motivates like results!

As John Maxwell says,“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.”
  • reneecooperman
    reneecooperman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First day back to school after vacation. I did about 20 minutes of yoga this morning to energize before the busy day. Then I did 20 minutes on my nordic track after dinner. I'm heading to the shower and then to bed. I'm planning to keep this routine at least 4 times a week.

Wow! I just got off my nordic track too! I can't find "nordic track" in the MFP cardio exercise finder. I'm using eliptical trainer instead. I have a crazy goal to drive myself three hours to Flagstaff and rent cross country ski this winter at some place that's supposed to be 18 miles outside of Flagstaff somewhere I've never been . . . all by myself. I haven't gone cross country skiing for probably 15 years. It would be a big challenge; a lot of driving and a lot of cost for about two hours of falling on my back side.

I have about 30 min. total on a weekend to read and respond to this group, so I'm a little worried about taking it on. You are all such really inspirational and fun writers. I'll just have to see what happens.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, I have been with the site for about a month now and I am loving it. I had gained over Christmas and just weighed yesterday and lost what I gained plus a little more. I have met such wonderful people her and the tracking is easy. I wake in the morning and this is the second thing I do....coffee is the first....lol.

My goals for this year are to stay strong not to give up. Do some little thing each day for movement, not to snack late at night, and over all just to watch what I eat. I do not cut out any type of food or sweets that just sets me up to fail.....so I will just eat in moderation. I guess my biggest over all resolution is to be a Happier, Heatheir, New ME........I am ready for this.

Happy New Year everyone.............wishing all of you the Best !!!
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This is getting to be a good habit - here I am again today and the tracking is getting back on track you might say.

I have osteogenesis imperfecta (brittle bones) and have had several breaks in the last few years. II had a stiff neck a week or so ago.and whilel it hasn't really gone, but does seem to be better. However the pain has been getting stronger in my right arm and I thought that perhaps both were the result of humping the suitcases in and out of the car when we went on our trip. My arm has been bugging me a little bit but not horrendously until this week. It has been noticeable over the past few days and while I could hold a cup, but when I tried to lift it to my mouth it was very painful and shaky. Anyway, yesterday it was hurting under my watch strap so I took my watch off. When I went to bed I could see a swelling and it was a bit red.

I called the hospital number for after-break care and they referred me to the doc who had seen me last time. His office is closed until next week. My family doc doesn't work on Wednesday so I think I'm off to ER in a little while to find out what is going on. If it is an infection in the bone, I can't wait for my family doc to return and then refer me to someone nor until the surgeon returns next week.

I'll let you know, but for now I'm off.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good moring ladies..i had notice on monday that our almost to be 7yr old jack russell did not eat and was a bit off, so on tuesday when i notice he didnt eat his bfast, i called the vet and took him, after a day of the vet, test and a hospital stay, its determined that he has something called ADDISON's ,..something to do with the adrenal gland...thankfully its something that can be treated with meds for life....he's now at the vet, to monitor him for the day....our other jack looking very lonely.....but i responded to the stress by eating my way through the kitchen last night.....i so hate when i do this, every stressful event i just look to food(i do it for less time now)...today i had my good bfast, wont be working out today, lots of errands to run and have to pick up roscoe later.....have a wonderful day all :flowerforyou:
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, it's going to be a good day I can feel it. I haven't felt this positive in a long time!

rita: when you dog had vestibular syndrome - did all the symptoms disappear?

kazisindahous and genealace: sending good thoughts your way.

Off to work. Have a good one everyone.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Salad Sistas challenge again today, big salad for lunch or dinner, maybe with something on the side. I fixed a huge plate full yesterday....3 cups of mixed romaine and baby spinach, topped with cauliflower, carrot, tomato and cukes. Made my favorite evoo-balsamic dressing and sacreligiously (!) added water to it, sheesh, never thought I'd stoop so low, lol. But the flavor was still unmistakeably delish and about half the calories. To top off the salad I added 1/2 cup cooked pinto beans, a few tiny specks of ham, and had a slice of unbuttered homemade bread. Total cals about 390. Whopper!

Great, great meal, kept me full all through the afternoon while teaching. When I left for work I put 3 brazil nuts in my pocket in case I got hungry at 5:00 or 6:00 -- nothing I hate worse than a growling stomach while giving a piano or guitar lesson, or even worse during a voice lesson -- most embarassing. Got home at 7:00, not starving, never ate the nuts and put them back in the fridge.

Stunned and amazed at my total calories yesterday, 1208. Scale plummeted this morning! Back to where I was at my lowest ever right before the holidays. Now we're talkin'. Repeat performance planned for today.

Need to use up some things in the fridge, especially some low-fat ricotta which I never seem to use up before it goes bad. Ricotta on toasted bread with tomato, basil and garlic, hmmmmm, there's a thought.

I wanna be just like Suzy (WOW!) and lose 5 lbs in 7 days. Ok, ok, I'd be happy with 1 or 2.

:^) jb
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I either eat what my husband and son eats or fix 2 different dinners. They want meat and rice/potatoes.

Hi. I can certainly sympathize with you. I was (and am again) trying to follow the South Beach program. My husband doesn't think you can eat a meal if it doesn't have potatoes, rice, or pasta to go with it. This caused a huge problem for a while because, like you, I wasn't going to fix 2 separate meals.

I finally started fixing things that we normally eat, but making small adjustments so that we could both eat the way we wanted. On meals where there's a meat entree and separate side dishes, it's easy. For example, we often had grilled chicken, rice pilaf, and sauteed squash. I made a little extra of the sauteed squash and had double servings of it along with my chicken; hubby had his rice. When we had spaghetti, instead of making the sauce with the ground beef in it, I bought frozen meatballs and added them to a large can of tomato sauce. I fixed just enough spaghetti for hubby -- I had the meatballs in the sauce with a large salad; hubby had his spaghetti.

Fortunately, my husband doesn't object to stir-fries -- as long as there's rice or noodles to pour it over. Same thing here -- I ate the stir-fried meat and veggies and made just enough rice for him. Now when my son is here, it's a different story -- he doesn't care for most veggies. I have gone as far as stir-frying the meat and veggies in separate pans -- a little more clean-up work but it keeps peace in the family.

I have younger friends who tell me, if I'm the one doing the cooking, I should fix what I want. If the rest of the family is hungry, they can eat it or they can fix their own. Being of a different generation, I haven't been able to do that -- but I have, slowly, over about 3 years, gotten the family to eat more in line with my way of thinking. Just hang in there!
  • ginnyjan
    Options
    Having just joined MFP this week I'm really pleased with all the help there is here. My goal for January is to log everything and be really honest about what I eat - that's where I usually fall down. So here goes, I'm feeling strong and with willpower, determination and honesty - Oh and a bit more exercise - I'll manage to lose a few pounds by the end of the month. One month at a time.
  • shmogo9
    shmogo9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I too can relate to this - BUT - it's my husband who does most of the cooking and then he gets mad when I don't want to eat what he cooks....he frys alot of the meats and it's dripping in oil - gets mad when I pat it down on paper towels before putting it on my plate :happy: but what can I do? He won't cook two meals and says he's not going to cook just for himself so if I say I don't want what he is making for supper the next day he doesn't make anything and will have a sandwich and then I hear him grumbling later that he's hungry. I'm also from the old school and figure that the family should eat together and eat the same thing - if I cook he'll eat whatever I make AND he likes it but he won't convert to the healthier cooking because he says "I don't need to lose weight"....not impressed but whatever! Not going to let him discourage me this time. He's always 'verbaly" supportive but just not so much in his actions :indifferent:

anyway - I've been tracking my food now since Sunday - day four and I'm still here and more motivated than I have been in years!

Good luck everybody on whatever journey your on - maintenance or weight loss or ??? have fun with whatever you do!

Back to work!
  • cindyw7
    Options
    I used the food tracking system for the first time this morning. It's really easy! What a blessing. I've got leftovers from the restaurant yesterday so it won't be the most successful diet day but it's a beginning. Baby steps I guess...

I'm excited about this group! Thank you everyone for being a part of it.