Who believes in Internet Dating?

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    No offence to anyone who have met their partner through internet but I was just wondering what's your thought on this topic?

I personally wouldn't do internet dating because for me I see it as "What is the point in all this, if you cant hold your man/women in person, go out to dinner or just hang out in general, and how you know if he is actually faithful," for me you can never trust someone's words . For me words mean nothing. & obveriously If I don't see the guy in person, how would i know If he's not cheating regardless of all the phone calls you two have made, Skype'd etc..

I don't know, Personally I just don't get the whole point in it, for me its just a waste of time and always better to have the real thing then computer screen esp even worse if they live in another COUNTRY!. Sorry if anyone finding this a bit offensive and don't mean too but if you have found love through internet then Congratulations. :)

Sounds like you're inter-mixing On-line dating sites with long distance cyber romances. One is not necessarily the other. I met my boyfriend of 4 years on Match.com. We exchanged only a few emails to make sure we both had the 'basic requirements' we were looking for in a date. Then met up.....the rest is beautiful history.

Match.com and like are intended to help you meet someone that has same likes and interests...keyword MEET, as in go out physically on a date. Not cyber date. MOST people on those sites are looking for someone within a reasonable distance of where they live....so they can make a connection via internet and go a 'a date' to see how it goes. Although some people might try their hand at a long distance relationship, I would never want to establish a relationship that I would rack up frequent flyer miles for or need a passport for. But to each his own.

As far as people presenting themselves in a false light.....this is true on the internet as well as in person. In this day and age we all need to have our wits about us no matter what route we go!!!
  • Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Deleted... oopps...
  • Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Its rough. I met my fiance on this site....but you have to put trust in that person and that person has to trust you.

Communication is KEY. And tou have to have a plan to not be long distance anymore.

I also think if you dismiss it, you are limiting yourself from finding "the one". How the heck did I know my one was 11.5 hours away. If it wasnt for the internet I probably would have never found her

You two are a great inspiration to the non-traditional dating. Relationships can blossom out of many types of mediums.... sports, social events or online support groups like this.

A serious question here... but if you two are intersted. I have a friend that works with HBO and is putting together a movie pitch about online social media groups and how they bring people together... not just in relationships like you two have but just to support each other... you two would be the tip of the iceberg as to what these type of social support groups like MFP could do in bringing people together for more than just one goal like weight loss.

Again, if interested I will chat with him next time I see him and maybe he could use you as part of the documentary. :)

Best of luck!!!
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I met my ex husband on the internet, but we met each other the same night. So I guess that really doesn't count.

The guy I'm seeing right now, we met on the internet and talked for about a week. I guess we're not really internet dating, we just met on the internet. Chatting enabled us to get to know each other without the physical looks coming into play. It was all about communication, which is key to any relationship.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I don't personally see the point of internet dating if that is all it will ever be, but if internet dating is only a precursor to meeting in person and having an actual relationship, then I see no reason not to. It's a great way to meet new people and I happen to think it's better than going to a local bar to meet someone. It can be unsafe however, so I hope those who choose to do it take every precaution. I also don't think most people set out to exclusively internet date, but perhaps develop feelings for someone they happened to have met online. I think most people who go on dating websites have the hopes of someday meeting the other person? I don't know... I've never done it before, but those are my thoughts.

Many years ago my mom set me up with this man she knew from similar business. He was a PSYCO!!! I did online dating and met them in a public place!!! They were all nice men. I didnt find the one for me at the time but I was very picky.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    my daughter met her husband on Match.com .. at first i was leary about meeting him but my oh my is he one hell of a person!!! i tell everyone he is my dream son in law. great husband, great provider, great father...

be wary though because ive heard some horror stories. just look for what you want and do not take anything less
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I quit looking for women in bars well because lets just say ive learned that you cant shake a *kitten* tree and expect an angel to fall out.
    Online is alittle harder for us guys because of the amount of shirtless guys posing in the mirror constantly messaging women with penis pics. Guys? Ive never heard a woman say that works. Your penis is not a worm on a hook trying to catch a catfish.

HAHAHA! This made me laugh so hard!

must agree this is funny.. and i love the shirtless guy posing thing... .... hahhahahhaha. totally true......
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • apostmodernman
    Options
    I think the issues you raise come down to trust. If you don't trust, does it matter how far away you live? In other words, unless you are prepared to follow them like the ninja, you'd be better off finding someone in whom you can trust however far away they are. If you can't do that, perhaps taking a good look at yourself is in order (looking most closely at your ability to trust btw). For the record, I have never internet dated. But I would consider it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I found my current BF online. It wasn't a 'dating' site but let's say a site for people with a common interest..

We had our first date almost 5 months ago, took things slow for a couple months and things are amazing at the moment. He'll be moving an hour to my place when he finishes his spring semester and within the next 1-3 years we plan on marriage and kids. It's hard with him being an hour away but we spend every weekend together and are very fond of each other. :wink:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I quit looking for women in bars well because lets just say ive learned that you cant shake a *kitten* tree and expect an angel to fall out.
    Online is alittle harder for us guys because of the amount of shirtless guys posing in the mirror constantly messaging women with penis pics. Guys? Ive never heard a woman say that works. Your penis is not a worm on a hook trying to catch a catfish.

HAHAHA! This made me laugh so hard!

must agree this is funny.. and i love the shirtless guy posing thing... .... hahhahahhaha. totally true......

OMG! What is WITH the penis pictures??? I don't even want one from a guy I'm married to. They are not pretty. They have their usefulness, but they are not pretty!!!

I'm ever-so-thankful women's not-pretty bits are internal.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I think there needs to be a bumber sticker that says that " You cant shake a *kitten* tree and expect an angel to fall out"

That is pretty awesome.

But seriously I read this thing stating that huge amount of marriages this last year found their mate online. I think its possible, however, I think that due to eharmony, match.com, etc etc its made it harder to meet people in person because people lack the courage to approach people in a pre-online dating fashion.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on a chat room 9 years ago. he lived near Atlanta and I am near Toronto. we have now been married for over 7 years, he moved up here and I wouldn't trade him for the world!

When you start talking in a chat room, you have no idea of looks or anything, just the person inside. That is who I fell in love with.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I do, it's how I met my sweety and we've been together over 6 months now :)
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    I don't believe in it, sure of course it works, but you never know who you are going to meet... remember, INTERNET SAFETY!!
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    I did it in the past ... never will I do it again.

The only thing I've taken away from it is this: "What the heck is wrong with you that you're on a dating website?" Why do I think that? Because the people I've dated have had serious psychological issues or alcoholism or drug addicts.

Nope, not my cup of tea.

For some it may work, for me, no thanks.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I met a girl online a few months ago who showed up dressed as a snake.

I made a thread about it.

Good times.
  • I didnt believe in net dating as I really just thought it was for perverts and those preying on the vulnerable. HOWEVER, I had to eat my own words as I am currently with the man of my dreams, engaged and planning a family - and we met via internet dating!

I was sick of going on date after date with loser after loser with guys in my own area - and I thought "its a big world out there, the man of my dreams could be out there". And he was!

And I found him within a couple of months of registering online. I was just testing it out and hadn't even fully registered. I wasnt signed up to pay any registration fee's I was just looking to see what kinda guys was on these sites. Within a couple of weeks a guy messaged me and gae me his email address. I emailed back and within a month of just getting to know each other by email I agreed to meet for dinner in a neutral public place. We were inseperable from that date. We lived 200 miles apart but we made it work. And 2 years later we moved in together. I moved 200 miles and set up home with him. We're now engaged and planning a family.

I'd just say to those who are considering it to be careful and wise - don't take risks, don't give too much personal info away and if you wanna meet, meet somewhere public and let someone you trust know where you're going. And beware of foreigners claiming to be rich or of anyone telling you they love you before you've even met... Before I met my man I had a lot of messages from men claiming to be rich and being far too over the top een though they'd never met me. These people I neer even messaged back and blocked them. Safety first when using net dating is always my advice
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    ....of anyone telling you they love you before you've even met.....

Haha. I think we've broken all these rules

I definitely told my fiance I loved her before we met. We met on this site (like I stated in an earlier post), and things took off fast and furious as far as our feelings and we really put ourselves out there with each other.

Then we met...and everything and so much more was confirmed. Everything we've said on the phone and shared in pictures etc., was turned up to 11, and proven over and over again each time we see each other.

She's over 600 miles away, but relocating to where I live in the summer, so we still have a ways to be apart, but we can't wait for it to happen.
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I met my ex fiancee on Match.com. She's put me off internet dating for life!