WHY keep your food diary hidden?

Options

Replies

• KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Well I personally don't but really? Why is it a problem for YOU if YOU can't see a diary that doesn't belong to YOU or one of your trusted friends? Not everyone has something to hide. The ones that do are only sabotaging themselves, not YOU. Just saying.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I keep personal notes in my diary that I wouldn't want anyone else to read. It is a diary. When did diaries become a must to show? I would be skeptical showing mine to anyone, especially folks who believe I am hiding something or not being completely honest because of its privacy. Joining this site doesn't necessarily mean anyone has to be open to public scrutiny. Funny, the people who want to see your diary say your hiding something if it is kept private. I wonder if these very same people have a negative comment about their wanting to be so nose-pokey? Just wondering.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,600 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious.....I understand if you want your page to be private. However, why keep your food diary private???? Do you do this....if so what's your reasoning? I personally think by making it viewable to friends that it hold you accountable. ;)
    Let me play devil's advocate for a second and ask why you would keep your food diary public? I can think of a few reasons why you might, like if you want input from other members or, conversely, you think your diary would be a helpful example to others. But if neither of those is true, what would be the point? There are as many ways to use the food diary as a tool as there are members on MFP. Not all of those ways include making it pubic.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,600 Member
    Options
    Or *public* even. :blushing:
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    haha it's funny how people get so offended, wonder what they are hiding or who they're trying to kid. You can lie to the world but not to yourself.

Mine is usually open. It has been closed for two weesk as i had dental surgury and am eating restricted (which changes by day) on what i can have. No i do not care to explain....

...i really do not mean to pick on this particular person, but really? some of you need to grow up....some people have issues you have been fortunate not to encounter - yet.

Sounds like a great strategy, how do i get dental surgery?

i suspect you do not need this but have a great colonoscopy guy to recommend.
  • worthashot73
    worthashot73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends only. I have no desire for someone to push their ideas of what a diet means on me. I have seen too many others criticized (without asking for opinions mind you) for their choices. If I ask for help, then I will open it up and expect criticism. But unwanted, unsolicited advice pisses me off, so I keep it locked except to those I have grown to know and trust. My two cents.

^^^^^^ This. My diary, my choice. Simple as that.
  • Perseverance10910
    Perseverance10910 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY!!!
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So I dont get bashed for using all my calories for a white chocolate mocha frappe and a crispy creme then not eating anything else for the day!
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Because I am trying to recover from an eating disorder and I don't want to (1) trigger other people who may also be in recovery or (2) inadvertently give "tips" to people who are desperate to lose weight or are "pro-anorexia" or whatever.

It is also counter-productive for me to be lectured about eating too little, etc, so I don't need that either.
  • Hoothill
    Options
    I don't knows how to make it public or private.... Please HELP!! Just learning about this site and I want to be held accountable!!!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I agree. Maybe people don't want people to really know what they are truly eating. Or for people to judge them as to what they eat . Personally my diary has been open since day one and still is today.
  • takeitback1mt
    takeitback1mt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I first started here I felt really weird about sharing what I was eating with everyone. Especially at first when I wasn't staying under my calories and was still eating like 3000 calories a day. It just took me some getting used to, and I find now its a great way of keeping me accountable and learning about what I can do to improve my diet.
  • busterbluth
    Options
    It reminds me too much of having my food intake _controlled_ by someone else. Even though that's not what it is.

Yes, this too.
  • busterbluth
    Options
    I don't knows how to make it public or private.... Please HELP!! Just learning about this site and I want to be held accountable!!!

Under settings, diary settings.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I use to keep it open but I would get questioned about it...so why let some scrutinize my food when I've lost over 70 pounds! So yeah thats mainly why but everyone has their own explanation
  • deedeefelldown
    deedeefelldown Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a lush and don't need everyone to know how much of my calories are consumed in wine. *shrug* just being honest lol
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't care if people have them private or not, however...... don't ask me to support you and keep it private because I can't support the unknown. I have seen many diaries where people are only logging 500 calories a day on a regular basis and those 500 (give or take of course) being nothing but junk food... these people of course asking for support and then getting mad when the obvious and ongoing lack of nutrition is mentioned, so if I can't see it, I'm not saying "good job" just because it says you're under calories!

Whew... I feel better now!
  • nicksaysnever
    Options
    I don't need the "encouragement" of people commenting on my food choices. If people could read my diary I would just end up feeling horrible about every minor and imagined slip up. I already have issues eating in front of people, this seems ten times worse.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a lush and don't need everyone to know how much of my calories are consumed in wine. *shrug* just being honest lol

OHHH then you must know about all of my 'liquid therapy' sessions held in Cabo Wabo? lol
  • SocraticS
    SocraticS Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a professor and really don't care to have, potentially, my students discussing my diet. I share a lot of myself with them but I like to have a boundary some where. ACCOUNTABILITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WHETHER I MAKE MY DIET PUBLIC.