Why would anyone want to be “skinny”??!

Options

Replies

• teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance now and yesterday I eat almost 2600 cals the day before just over 2700 cals, but I work out and burn an average of 800 cals 6 days a week. I do workout cause I love working out and that way I can eat what ever I want.
    Now that I am in maintenance I do eat pizza from time to time and the occasional double chicken burger (I order an extra chicken patty very good).

I must say the thing I love most is feeling like a supper woman, very strong and confident. The exercise just makes me happy and yes the clothes are nice, but most of all when I look in the mirror and see me I feel so hot and sexy. I truly love who I am now and what I have accomplished. I loved who I was before, just not what my body looked like. I will add you to my friend list so you can see my before pics. I used to be close to 300 lbs and a size 24 dress. Now I am in a size 8 dress.

The way I succeeded is by changing the way I see food and exercise. I really don't care for that doughnut or piece of cake any more even though my calorie allowance allows me to have one I just don't feel I need it. It is access energy and not very much nutrition so why would I need it. Pizza is something that I never saw as unhealthy, it is full of carbs and fresh veggies So I can have it of a weight lifting day, burgers are good too as long as I can balance it out with the rite ratio of protein to carbs.

You really should do what makes you happy, and if eating those foods makes you happy then go a head. From experience you will probably not be able to lose eating like that, but I don't see any reason why you could not maintain eating that way with a nice stable exercise routine.

Edited to change the number of cals eaten yesterday cause I read it wrong. My daily limit was 2900 cals but I eat closer to 2600, no worries I did good anyway :flowerforyou:
  • threeforagirl
    Options
    Why would I want to be "skinny"?

I don't. I want to be healthy. I want to live a long life with my boyfriend/future husband (we know we're going there someday soon!). I want to raise healthy children who live long lives and give me grandchildren that I am able to be around to enjoy. Maybe even GREAT grandchildren (my great grandmother lived til I was in my 20s and I am so thankful to have had her around!). I want to go all around the world and do all sorts of things. I want to have a career that I am able to enjoy-teaching-and be an example to the children I teach.

So I am making a conscious decision to watch what I eat and exercise more so that I can do this. Right now I haven't even been exercising and due to traveling/helping my aunt out after her surgery I had fast food more than once this last week. I still lost weight because I made sure that with that I made adjustments so that I was within my calorie limits. What does this tell me? I DON'T HAVE TO BE MISERABLE TO LOSE WEIGHT AND MAINTAIN IT! I will have to make conscious decisions, but I don't have to make that a bad thing. I have to think about the positive trade offs.

Now, as a recovering food addict and compulsive overeater there are times where I feel exactly like your original post, but I have realized that is the childish addict in me screaming for attention and I have got to look it in the eye and say "but you've made me miserable and a slave to YOU for the last 5 years. No more!"

I mean, really, think about it. Being overweight and "free" to make whatever decision you want doesn't mean you aren't a slave to anything.

You're a slave to your limits: getting out of breath every time you walk up stairs (I know that ruined someone I know's experience while we were on vacation at Mt. Rushmore) having to purchase an extra seat for comfort on an airplane (or being miserably cramped) or the budgetary strain of eating more food because you're feeding that voice in your head.

There are other things that limit overweight and obese individuals. Clothes cost more. Clothes are not really as cute, they don't fit well, etc.

So, please, don't listen to this negative voice. Please, please, please. You have come so far, there are far more positives than negatives. You CAN enjoy the things you like in moderation!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've had pizza - half a pie, not just a slice or two - at least once a week, every week, since I started losing weight over a year ago. I still have bacon cheeseburgers and fries if I go to Chilis or Smokey Bones. I have cake, pie, cookies, and drink wine or cocktails, and I don't feel a slave to anything. Maybe not every day, but on weekends, I'll eat anything that gets in my way!

But I also adopted an attitude that exercise and eating right is a way of treating myself right, so I don't consider running or going to the gym as some kind of punishment. It's a hobby now. Plus, since I never starved myself to lose weight, I maintained my lean muscle mass, and my metabolism didn't suffer.

I always love your posts! That's all...
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Couple things before I quote some all star responses here; my version of forum cliffnotes!
    1. Thank you so much, each of you-I was not expecting this outpour of support!!!!
    2. Believe me, I’m optimistic 98% of the time-which is why im freaking out to the umpteenth degree, not used to feeling like crap
    3. I used the word “skinny” because it an attention grabber- Skinny is not the answer nor should it be the goal. It’s all about being fit and happy, trust me-I know this.
    4. The latte was an example, I hate lattes, and no-this is not my number one gripe (I don’t think anyone in this world would have this as a number one gripe) _ will look into the book though!

“It isn't about denying yourself the things you enjoy, it is more about learning that you don't need to consume an entire cake -- that one piece IS sufficient.”----TRUTH

“When I want a cheeseburger I eat a cheeseburger. When I want pizza, I eat pizza. But, I don't want to eat cheeseburgers everyday so not eating them everyday is not a problem.” ----Totally didn’t even think about the fact that I wont want pizza everyday…whoops, good point!

“If you hate the gym, find something else. Get outside, go dancing, etc.” ---–Damn fine idea right there, love group sports…and dancing!

“When you deprive yourself, and feel like you are depriving yourself, you can't stick to it long term. So, it has to be a lifestyle change. And yes, that means forever. So, forever you have to have "bad" things in moderation.”----Big helping of TRUTH right there.

“Welcome to adulthood. Very little about life is 'what you want, when you want”---- Hi Dad.

“Everything in life is hard. Get over it. Welcome to being a grown up!” ----Hey Mom.

“As long as calories in equals calories out and you monitor your nutritional intake you can have whatever you want and maintain!!”---Must……Remember!

“Benefits far outweigh the burden” –so true

“Don't replace french fries with cherry tomatoes, that is so not a good trade.” –Valid point!

“I'm spending most of my time obsessing over my body so I might as well do it in a way that helps me instead of hurts me.” –---transference of obsession, genius!

“I love food and cooking and think about them frequently anyway! Might as well be thinking about what's most filling, nutritious, and tasty!” –---Damn fine point right there.

“In religion, you don't have to choose between being the pope and burning churches. There is room for some middle ground. I think the same is true in fitness.” Terrific comparison!

“The key is knowing when to say when!” –Need that carved on my silverware

“No matter how frustrated I feel, nothing could compare to the frustration I felt as I sat on the floor in my closet crying because I was too big to fit into my clothes.” –---You are me

“As long as calories in equals calories out and you monitor your nutritional intake you can have whatever you want and maintain!! –From your keyboard to God’s ears

“When I am indulging in whatever I want whenever I want, I may not have my diet obsessively in the back of my mind (although I do to some extent as I'll always know that I'm overeating).... BUT when my body is carrying the extra weight that comes from eating that way the extra weight affects my decisions and controls my life the way that dieting does now. There really is no greener side here. –--Mind=BLOWN

“It is frustrating to know that I'll have to monitor my eating for the rest of my life, to some extent or another, but I look at it as just another routine for better health. I mean, I don't like flossing, or brushing my teeth, or other maintenance things like that, but I do them routinely because I know they pay off in the long run.” ----Perspective 

“My boyfriend always has a stack of frozen pizzas in the freezer. When he makes them he offers me some and I decline.” ---Must.Learn.

“For ONE week, eat how you use to, don't count calories, don't work out and I am willing to BET that you will feel like *kitten*
    Think of your energy level now, compared to before. Think of all the things you can do NOW that you couldn't do then.” ---Im scared to because I WILL feel like ****-GREAT POINT!!

“I DON'T HAVE TO BE MISERABLE TO LOSE WEIGHT AND MAINTAIN IT!”
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    That's why the Western World has an obesity problem. Because they think it's ok to have a cheeseburger for lunch and then a couple pieces of pizza for supper.

You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution.

You decide.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Couple things before I quote some all star responses here; my version of forum cliffnotes!
    1. Thank you so much, each of you-I was not expecting this outpour of support!!!!
    2. Believe me, I’m optimistic 98% of the time-which is why im freaking out to the umpteenth degree, not used to feeling like crap
    3. I used the word “skinny” because it an attention grabber- Skinny is not the answer nor should it be the goal. It’s all about being fit and happy, trust me-I know this.
    4. The latte was an example, I hate lattes, and no-this is not my number one gripe (I don’t think anyone in this world would have this as a number one gripe) _ will look into the book though!

“It isn't about denying yourself the things you enjoy, it is more about learning that you don't need to consume an entire cake -- that one piece IS sufficient.”----TRUTH

“When I want a cheeseburger I eat a cheeseburger. When I want pizza, I eat pizza. But, I don't want to eat cheeseburgers everyday so not eating them everyday is not a problem.” ----Totally didn’t even think about the fact that I wont want pizza everyday…whoops, good point!

“If you hate the gym, find something else. Get outside, go dancing, etc.” ---–Damn fine idea right there, love group sports…and dancing!

“When you deprive yourself, and feel like you are depriving yourself, you can't stick to it long term. So, it has to be a lifestyle change. And yes, that means forever. So, forever you have to have "bad" things in moderation.”----Big helping of TRUTH right there.

“Welcome to adulthood. Very little about life is 'what you want, when you want”---- Hi Dad.

“Everything in life is hard. Get over it. Welcome to being a grown up!” ----Hey Mom.

“As long as calories in equals calories out and you monitor your nutritional intake you can have whatever you want and maintain!!”---Must……Remember!

“Benefits far outweigh the burden” –so true

“Don't replace french fries with cherry tomatoes, that is so not a good trade.” –Valid point!

“I'm spending most of my time obsessing over my body so I might as well do it in a way that helps me instead of hurts me.” –---transference of obsession, genius!

“I love food and cooking and think about them frequently anyway! Might as well be thinking about what's most filling, nutritious, and tasty!” –---Damn fine point right there.

“In religion, you don't have to choose between being the pope and burning churches. There is room for some middle ground. I think the same is true in fitness.” Terrific comparison!

“The key is knowing when to say when!” –Need that carved on my silverware

“No matter how frustrated I feel, nothing could compare to the frustration I felt as I sat on the floor in my closet crying because I was too big to fit into my clothes.” –---You are me

“As long as calories in equals calories out and you monitor your nutritional intake you can have whatever you want and maintain!! –From your keyboard to God’s ears

“When I am indulging in whatever I want whenever I want, I may not have my diet obsessively in the back of my mind (although I do to some extent as I'll always know that I'm overeating).... BUT when my body is carrying the extra weight that comes from eating that way the extra weight affects my decisions and controls my life the way that dieting does now. There really is no greener side here. –--Mind=BLOWN

“It is frustrating to know that I'll have to monitor my eating for the rest of my life, to some extent or another, but I look at it as just another routine for better health. I mean, I don't like flossing, or brushing my teeth, or other maintenance things like that, but I do them routinely because I know they pay off in the long run.” ----Perspective 

“My boyfriend always has a stack of frozen pizzas in the freezer. When he makes them he offers me some and I decline.” ---Must.Learn.

“For ONE week, eat how you use to, don't count calories, don't work out and I am willing to BET that you will feel like *kitten*
    Think of your energy level now, compared to before. Think of all the things you can do NOW that you couldn't do then.” ---Im scared to because I WILL feel like ****-GREAT POINT!!

“I DON'T HAVE TO BE MISERABLE TO LOSE WEIGHT AND MAINTAIN IT!”

OMG these are such mature responses to all of these quotes. Kudos...now, take this outpouring of support and rock it. You can do it...you already have.
  • Ashmeistar
    Options
    you can look at it in a more positive way for starters....give that a go

^
    That's supportive!

I find the healthier I eat, the less I actually like unhealthy foods. I don't actually need to loose weight, but I'm always tryig for a flatter belly! I do find when I'm feeling stressed or low, I feel fatter and uglier, but when I'm happy, or just content, I'm more accepting of myself. Is anything up at the mo that's adding to the fustration?
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Skinny... I was overweight for a lot of years. I had no energy. The more junk I ate the worse I felt. I found I LOVE running. I can eat what I want but usually I crave healthier foods. So now at the age of almost 51 I feel like I'm in my 20's or 30's. I can put my grand kids on my shoulders and run up and down the stairs with them. I have more energy then my 17 year old son. I play with my grand-kids. I hang upside down on the monkey bars. You think I want to go back to how I was before?? Forget it. Oh, and the other benefits of having a pulse of 52, blood pressure of 110/65 and triglycerides that dropped from 324 to under 100. I'm happy... and I'm getting that bikini this summer :smile:
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Couple things before I quote some all star responses here; my version of forum cliffnotes! ...

So happy you're seeing the light in all this today! Like I said, You look incredible in your picture, and yeah I'm sure it's a b**** to maintain it, but girl if I had that body I'd do everything in my power to maintain!!

I'm glad you posted again because I was under the impression you weren't appreciative of your own hard work and wanted to go back to eating crap and stuff. But like many others have said, you CAN eat the less healthier meals, but keep up on your exercise and water and you'll be ok!

Hang in there girl, you are beautiful and that hard work certainly shows!!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I find your ticker picture extremely ironic. :laugh:
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    That's why the Western World has an obesity problem. Because they think it's ok to have a cheeseburger for lunch and then a couple pieces of pizza for supper.

You decide.

The obesity problem is from over indulging and under activity, not cheeseburgers and pizza.
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can have all those things. Just not a lot of them. It's about moderation, not deprivation.

^This...as long as you are not getting lazy and not overindulging, every once in a while "treats" should be fine. If you end up eating junk on a daily basis, then that's where people go wrong. I am at fault all the time to getting where I want to be with tone and weight then I start to eat back the way I did before & have to start all over again. I grew up eating junk food, so trying to stick to a restrictive diet is super hard for me. I do try to cook at home a lot and use less fattening foods so when I do go out, I don't go into cardiac arrest when I eat something "bad."

Also, my boyfriend doesn't eat the healthiest as far as calorie count goes but his many years of working out and maintenance allows him to consume way more calories than I ever could and he doesn't gain weight.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

You decide.

The obesity problem is from over indulging and under activity, not cheeseburgers and pizza.

Exactly. The mindset that cheeseburgers are teh d3b!l are not exactly fair and accurate. It's a combination of many (not one) cheeseburgers plus no activity that forms obesity, not a cheeseburger by itself.

I've lost almost 25 lbs since last summer and on the weekends I have pizza. Yet I still find a way to lose weight through exercise. Amazing huh! I should be living off of twigs, dirt, and rocks with some blades of grass for texture right? ;)

Basic math. Ready for it? Find your base metabolic rate. Not from a website. You may have to experiment to find the point where you gain weight. The point where you do no exercise, eat, and gain no weight is roughly your base metabolic rate. Mine is about 370 calories less than what MFP or other websites say it should be (one reason I've struggled for years is because I was told X was my maintenance and when I ate X, I still gained)

Then you take that and you start applying exercise to it. Do not take MFP's caloric burn rate as gospel either. For example it states I burn 1066 calories when running six miles on MFP Per my heart rate monitor I burn about 750. Quite a difference. And you can see where some people would work hard and still not lose, because the numbers they are using are WRONG. Every person is different, the numbers on websites are averages. You may be above or below the curve.

The end result gives you an ACCURATE formula of what you are taking in vs what you are burning.
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Great post Alisha....bump :)
  • ANewton401
    ANewton401 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 25 lbs since last summer and on the weekends I have pizza. Yet I still find a way to lose weight through exercise. Amazing huh! I should be living off of twigs, dirt, and rocks with some blades of grass for texture right? ;)

Bahahaha! So funny! I'll ded look into the metabolic rate as you suggested thank you for taking the time to share your insight!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Where is Cheeseburg anyway?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Basic math. Ready for it? Find your base metabolic rate. Not from a website. You may have to experiment to find the point where you gain weight. The point where you do no exercise, eat, and gain no weight is roughly your base metabolic rate. Mine is about 370 calories less than what MFP or other websites say it should be (one reason I've struggled for years is because I was told X was my maintenance and when I ate X, I still gained)
    Not arguing with the fact that you experimented and found out what worked for you. Just wanted to point out that "The point where you do no exercise, eat, and gain no weight" is not your BMR. If you wanted to put it in plain english, it would be closer to "The point where you do nothing but lie in bed flat on your back 24 hours a day, take in your nutrition via an IV, and eliminate wastes via catheters, and don't gain weight" would be your BMR. What you're talking about is closer to sedentary TDEE (i.e. without any exercise). Because we all walk around, go to the bathroom, digest food, pick things up off the floor, etc - we LIVE. On MPF, all those little things are factored into your activity level, which even if you're sedentary is still 25% higher than your BMR alone.
  • TGONZO63
    Options
    I Do. I feel better for one. The worst part is getting older. It seems I eat less and work harder and still can't take it off. Body parts ache and I get tired earlier and want to go to bed instead of work out. It is easier to just eat and not worry about it. We all want a magic littel pill and until that happens it's about choices. Fat, skinny whatever your decision... Choose healthy! Be active and enjoy life. Eat what you want, just not every day 3 meals a day. Live!!!
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    From someone with a previous eating disorder, logging up here isn't exhausting to me. It's easy and fast. It keeps me accountable for "moderation" without even really thinking about "is it in moderation" etc. It is what it is and I do what I do and can do.

NOTHING is worth being obsessed over but if you can do it without obsession, it's fabulous. You just have to make sure your head is in the right place. There's also a balance. Being "skinny" / like too skinny isn't cute or attractive at all. Guys (most guys) like curves. Your body also (I believe) has a set point where it's most comfortable at and works the best at. That's where it will stop naturally and that weight is easy to maintain and "healthy". You just have to figure out what's best for yourself.