Swearing?

Options

Replies

• elusivezero
    elusivezero Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The f word can be amazingly addictive, especially because it's so satisfying. I tend not to swear so much, unless angry or too lazy to find other adjectives.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I tend to use them in humor more than anger.

For example: We have cats, one of them is really good at making the litter box stink. It's bad, he takes a dump and RUNS from the room. Therefore, he is often referred to as "Sh***yKitty."

JM

I have a cat too, thanks for the laugh!!!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I like to type swear words out. It's always fun to see how my phone will auto correct it.
    I do cuss, not as much as I used to, and not in front of the kids..... apparently kids repeat EVERYTHING you say at very inappropriate times. :grumble:

Yes, I'm learning this. My son repeated me the other day purely by accident and then covered his mouth and his eyes got big. I could only smile and tell him it was ok, was my fault.

For reasons like that I have always tried to insert other words in place of cuss words while at work or around children. Other than that, I will cuss when I feel the need to do so.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

How is not swearing in public juvenile?

I mean the use of childish 'replacement' words, when one can reasonably insert standard English prose alternatives. If you're offended by cursing, at least uphold the dignity of the English language by using it properly.

'What the fudge': What on earth..? What was that? What a shame... etc.

"Bollocking Hell": ... Bollocks is a mild curse word anyway, I would say about equivalent to the more traditional "bloody hell"..so I'm not sure you're improving anything by that substitution. If you're expressing annoyance, why not try 'Alas!' 'Unfortunate!' 'Goodness me!' or Damn! (If you feel like pushing your boundaries) or something similar.

"Shhhiuugar'... hm.. Shucks? Oops? Damn? or Sugar, I guess.

Ok. How about...What the fck are you bollockin examining my words for you shiiiuggarring twock?
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    When I'm good & mad I've got a mouth on me that could make a sailor blush. But I'm also pretty good at self censoring. Around older people or kids I don't swear at all. But amongst my friends, well all holds are off.:laugh:

And I love the way Americans have picked up on Bollocks. It's not such a 'soft' swear word as you think.:wink: When I was a teenager I could get away with the occasional He11 or bl00dy in front of my Mum, but bollocks would get me a crack round the head.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I avoid it depending on company, only because of the social stigma... otherwise the crusade against "swearing" is a bunch of moral majority nonsense.
  • heather7131
    Options
    Swearing is location appropriate.

At the dinner table - Not appropriate.
    Church - Not appropriate.
    Board Room - Not appropriate.
    Guest in someone's home - Not appropriate.
    In the bedroom - Could be appropriate.
    In traffic - Absolutely appropriate.

If we stop swearing altogether, the terrorists win.

I agree 100% with this guy!!!! :happy:

I don't swear in daily conversation that much. Most of my swearing comes when I get frustrated, or have to quote something when I take people to court! Knoxville traffic always makes me want to curse!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

How is not swearing in public juvenile?

I mean the use of childish 'replacement' words, when one can reasonably insert standard English prose alternatives. If you're offended by cursing, at least uphold the dignity of the English language by using it properly.

'What the fudge': What on earth..? What was that? What a shame... etc.

"Bollocking Hell": ... Bollocks is a mild curse word anyway, I would say about equivalent to the more traditional "bloody hell"..so I'm not sure you're improving anything by that substitution. If you're expressing annoyance, why not try 'Alas!' 'Unfortunate!' 'Goodness me!' or Damn! (If you feel like pushing your boundaries) or something similar.

"Shhhiuugar'... hm.. Shucks? Oops? Damn? or Sugar, I guess.

Ok. How about...What the fck are you bollockin examining my words for you shiiiuggarring twock?

Delightful! ;) Wasn't that satisfying? Although might I make it clear that it's unnecessary to curse AT me? I'm not interested in offending you, I'm merely pointing out that our opinions (and vernacular, evidently), differ.
  • JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There is a time and a place for it. I've actively been trying to cut back on my swearing because I personally find it unattractive when women swear (sexist I know, but thats just how I feel). When men swear I don't mind as much as long as they don't overdo it.

It sounds weird but I agree.... I find it very 'unlady' like when women/girls swear... that sounds so "1950's". I guess I am "old school".
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What are your opinions on it? I don't swear a lot, and it's usually when I get super mad at something...Like if I step in a puddle and it's as deep as my knee. I'll be like WHAT THE EFFIN BLOODY HELLLLLL.
    But in casual conversation I rarely swear.

Reason I ask, I was having dinner with a girl last night and in every other sentence she was all It's 'fkin ridiculous' or 'and yeah I was like fk her'. So swearing within a normal sentence...

It was a complete turn off...I couldn't wait to be out of there despite her being good looking and relatively clever (she's at my uni). I could possibly have let it slide if we were alone...but it was a restaurant.

So is this also a turn off for other guys? Or girls...

It depends...if you aren't comfortable with it, don't be. I used to have a potty mouth, but it took one time of someone talking about ANOTHER girl swearing and how unattractive it is, then I decided to watch what I say. Some people will never see it as vulgar while others will. I didn't change for that person, I changed for myself and to not look like I'm not intelligent when having a conversation. I won't say my words are always 100% angelic, but there is a time and place for it.
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Swearing is location appropriate.

At the dinner table - Not appropriate.
    Church - Not appropriate.
    Board Room - Not appropriate.
    Guest in someone's home - Not appropriate.
    In the bedroom - Could be appropriate.
    In traffic - Absolutely appropriate.

If we stop swearing altogether, the terrorists win.

So, if we swear on a forum, but type the swear word wrong, do the errorists win?
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I curse like a sailor but in only the company of those who I know don't mind or speak the same way. I know well enough not to in front of peoples children or my grandparents per say. Although I will slip in front of my grandparents occasionally. Lol. They will forget in about ten seconds anyway. But my husband, mother, father, father in law, yeah, we all have a severe case of potty mouth.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I will swear from time to time but I try to limit it to instances when something went really wrong or I'm very angry. I work in an office/manufacturing plant and I am one of two women in a company that employs about 30+ people. There is a ton if swearing and crassness around me.

The worst part about it is that the guys you would think would be swearing left and right are very respectful and will usually apologize if they swear in front of me. It's the guys in the office, especially the bosses in their suits that swear and act like jerks and even if I visibly flinch from their attitude they just keep talking like they're all that. It's kinda pathetic because the guys on our shop floor who get looked down on by the guys in our office are frequently nicer, more respectful and even happier in their lives than the suits.
  • Mrs_ALM
    Mrs_ALM Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The worst part about it is that the guys you would think would be swearing left and right are very respectful and will usually apologize if they swear in front of me. It's the guys in the office, especially the bosses in their suits that swear and act like jerks and even if I visibly flinch from their attitude they just keep talking like they're all that. It's kinda pathetic because the guys on our shop floor who get looked down on by the guys in our office are frequently nicer, more respectful and even happier in their lives than the suits.

I want to know when swearing became "ok" in the workplace? I think it's very unprofessional, especially in an office setting and many just throw it around like everyday language. What if a client who would be offended is on the phone or walks in? Could mean lost business... :-\
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I swear in front of my friends sometimes. But I definitely can turn it off when I want. I try not to swear in front of guys I like, cause I think it makes you look cheap.

I was at Menards the other day with my grandma and these boys came in and they were swearing up a storm. I wanted to yell, "my grandma's right here you idiots!!" so disrespectful.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I have a filthy fckin mouth. I swear all the time in normal conversation. The f bomb gets used a sh!tload. I also am in a line of work where swearing and crude humor are very common.

If I know people don't like it I don't do it and if there are those around who I think might be offended I tone it down. I was afraid I would have a hard time not cussing in front of my kids but it actually was pretty easy. I very rarely slip up in front of them. Of course the other day after some *kitten* almost ran me off the road my 6 year old daughter had occassion to ask me: "Daddy, what's an @sshole?" Fortunately it wasn't a fcking @sshole.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    swearing has an appropriate place and time, that is to be decided by each person as to what is appropriat for them.

I swear when I need to, sometimes when I don't need to............and sometimes just cause I wanna!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I always need to.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Depends on my audience. I like to be aware of who's around me and be respectful towards them. I especially will not swear in front of children. I tend not to swear in front of people I've just met, either.

But once someone drops the 'f-bomb' in front of me, I know they're okay with the word and I can let down my guard and start swearing like a sailor. And I LOVE to swear. Bad words are fun.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm totally cool with swearing every once in a while. But when its every third word, its unattractive.

I swear occasionally, but NEVER would I swear meeting someone new, or on a first date (unless I was referring to something someone said), or not in a family event either (parents very religious and I respect that). But I do swear WAY more than I ever used to. I may say a swear word once a day now. lol.