Swearing?

Options

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    A turnoff and bothersome, but to each their own. Though there are some that can't seem to control it around my kids in public which then becomes an issue of respect where I need to stand in and it then becomes an issue I have to address. Though that is rare and usually is depending on where I am. I also have personal convictions on the issue but that is my own journey (http://hispathdaily.blogspot.com/2009/09/james-310-from-same-mouth-come-blessing.html).
  • Multistyles
    Options
    I cuss like a sailor at home and at work (i work in a bus shop) but i know when and where to do it. The S word is my favorite though gives me the warm and fuzzies :-) lol
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended by any words, but I rarely swear!! I think constant swearing makes people sound ignorant. There are so many beautiful, descriptive, appropriate words to be used, why swear!? I wasn't raised in a household with parents who swore, at least not in front of me, so those words have never been part of my vocabulary.

Ditto!!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    My Canadian Husband on the other hand grew up in a different culture with different cultural norms, he swears a lot more in general conversation than anyone I know and has even been asked to moderate his language as there were children present, he uses words that I consider to be socially unacceptable a lot, and although I also use them, I don't think that they are words that should be used in the way he does. We are going to be Grandparents this year and I am going to have to keep on at him to watch his language when the baby is around.

For instance he uses the words bulls*it, crap, *kitten*, fart and b*stard and I grew up in a home that would not have used those words as they were considered swearing or at least unacceptable, BUT I say C**t and he doesn't

I completely understand what you're saying here, as a Canadian. I couldn't tell you whether or not we swear more (in general) than Americans, but we do seem to be more relaxed about it. I have noticed a difference between the sorts of swear words that can be aired on Canadian stations versus American ones. And, for some reason the C-word you mentioned is TOTALLY FORBIDDEN up here. Almost nobody says it. The first time I said it in front of people (my age, who swear CONSTANTLY), they all dropped their utensils and stared at me in horror. This is why I only use that word on SPECIAL occasions, when I want to get the maximum reaction.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I cuss like a sailor.. but many things contribute to how foul-mouthed I can get. I wont cuss in front of older people, or in most public places. I also feel bad if I curse around children, so I try to watch my tongue when in places with them. I definitely won't do it in or when passing a church---yeah It's all weird. When my friends are around, it's fair game though---and if we're in public and are on the verge of getting loud, we'll say the dirty words or dirty lines in Pig Latin. Same goes with raunchy jokes.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I personally curse like a sailor, I don't understand why curse words are bad. Especially when some people who "don't curse" say things like "frick" or "son of a monkey's uncle" ...you know what they mean so why is that not as bad as saying the actual word?

Even with my opinion on cursing though...I still am smart enough to know when I shouldn't use such words (ie. at work, near small children, etc)

thats me! ditto
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    What are your opinions on it? I don't swear a lot, and it's usually when I get super mad at something...Like if I step in a puddle and it's as deep as my knee. I'll be like WHAT THE EFFIN BLOODY HELLLLLL.
    But in casual conversation I rarely swear.

Reason I ask, I was having dinner with a girl last night and in every other sentence she was all It's 'fkin ridiculous' or 'and yeah I was like fk her'. So swearing within a normal sentence...

It was a complete turn off...I couldn't wait to be out of there despite her being good looking and relatively clever (she's at my uni). I could possibly have let it slide if we were alone...but it was a restaurant.

So is this also a turn off for other guys? Or girls...
    I do it well but ONLY around the guys - never around the ladies.
    And if I were dating a potty mouth lady, I'd shut the date down on the spot, pay the tab and tell her to take a cab home.

That's a huge turn off for me - a deal killer.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    My parents didn't cuss, but when I was younger I had a filthy mouth! I know when it's appropriate, and in a restaurant, probably not the most appropriate. My kids have heard me say some very creative things when I've been cut off in traffic, or stuck behind someone driving 10 miles below the speed limit. Buttlicker is one of my faves, but in the right company I'll throw around the F word like it's nothing. My 13 yr old daughter cusses and it drives me nuts. My 16 yr old will ask my permission before he'll say something because he feels uncomfortable cussing in front of me! He writes his own music, and he'll warn me before he says something he thinks will offend me. I said Dude, you're 16, let it out!

You know, Leapfrog toys figured out every phonetic spelling of any cuss word you could possibly think of. Years ago I actually sat down with my kid's toy and tried to get it to say a cuss word, and the best I could get was butt, cuz "but" was the only word they didn't block. I know, very mature, but cuss words are fun! :bigsmile: Thanks for the laugh! You guys have a great sense of humor!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I completely understand what you're saying here, as a Canadian. I couldn't tell you whether or not we swear more (in general) than Americans, but we do seem to be more relaxed about it. I have noticed a difference between the sorts of swear words that can be aired on Canadian stations versus American ones. And, for some reason the C-word you mentioned is TOTALLY FORBIDDEN up here. Almost nobody says it. The first time I said it in front of people (my age, who swear CONSTANTLY), they all dropped their utensils and stared at me in horror. This is why I only use that word on SPECIAL occasions, when I want to get the maximum reaction.

hahaha that is so true. the C-word never gets said and when someone does say it the room goes silent for a second.

my office is bad for swearing. it's an 8-5 thing. i probably swear way too much. except around my kids. that bothers me to no end when someone is blasting F-bombs in front of kids.
  • GoodbyeFatChick
    GoodbyeFatChick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but "fish paste" and *kitten* simply do not convey the same impact. Besides if my girlfriend said, "Baby come to bed and fish paste me", I don't know what I would do.

I swear this is the funniest thing I read all day..... =)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    well i try not to use it around my kids but my husband works with all construction workers and welders! so yeah i have really bad habits in that dept. but he NEVER minds it when i cuss in the bedroom! in fact he quite encourages it!
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I swear quite a bit, but it's not a regular part of my vocabulary.

Good thing I'm not a woman. Wouldn't want to be "unlady-like". Pffffftt.
  • petersoncl
    Options
    I find swearing unattractive with both sexes. I avoid people who swear. How do I put this nicely?? Swearing makes people sound lower class, uneducated, like they don't know a proper word to say so they swear. I know there are very educated people who swear but it sounds so wrong side of the tracks.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    **** the ****in ****ers.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    This thread made me think of the Orbitz commerical about cleaning dirty mouths...

"Who are you calling a cootie queen you lint licker!!!"
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find it offensive and, in my opinion, it shows a lack of intelligence. Can't a person come up with more descriptive words to get their point across? Is their vocabulary really that limited?

And I think this sums it up very nicely,

Ephesians 4:29 - "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edficiation according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I personally would find it very offensive to be on a date in a public place and hearing that in every sentence. You are better than me I personally would close the date down male or female. I do cuss but have made efforts to cut it down and know where to do it and not to do it.

Check out my new male group called The Male Stop
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I also find it interesting that several people on here are saying that it is okay in certain situations, but not okay in others. For example, let's say one says he or she would not cuss in front of his or her boss, but would in front of his or her friends. This sounds like you consider your friends less worthy.

Why do you choose not to cuss in front of your children? Because you know it isn't the best thing for them? Well, then why do it in front of others, either?

One time my son's 5th grade reading class was reading a book that had all kinds of bad language in it. Ridiculous! Why? Because if he had stepped out into the hall and said those same words, he probably would have gotten detention.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I swear quite a bit, but it's not a regular part of my vocabulary.

Good thing I'm not a woman. Wouldn't want to be "unlady-like". Pffffftt.

Being a 'lady' is overrated. ;)
  • heresmyinsidevoice
    heresmyinsidevoice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i cuss like there is no tomorrow. I really don't care. I monitor it at work and infront of my kids but even my kids know those are big people words. LOL Really if a guy doesn't like the way I talk it isn't going to work anyways. My friends and sisters are a bunch of foul mouths too. In fact my sister and I will often call each other a (u^t bag or bag o' (u^ts for fun. Words only have the power you give them

HA HA HA HA HA! My sister and I call each other those types of things too! Sl*t bag and bag of sl*ts is hilarious. Sometimes I'll call her a d**chenozzle, d**checanoe or tell her she's not "the sharpest peanut in the *kitten*". They really are terms of endearment...my family swears like crazy, but only around us adults. Of course I would never say those things in the vicinity of small children, as of course I wouldn't want to corrupt the poor little snowflakes of today.