Swearing?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Demwitted
    Demwitted Posts: 163
    Options
    I would rather not. In my opinion it really takes a lot away from a person when they do.

For examples, I think Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Aniston are extremely attractive people but when I hear either of them use foul language, most especially G.D. in a movie it makes them very unattractive.

I am sitting here wondering what GD is? Is it a certification? I can't for the life of me think of a swear word that starts with it...G D?

goddam
  • barbiebarkley
    Options
    sorry i yhink its perfectlly ok to cuss,i do but there are places or people i do not do it around.
  • faithalive
    faithalive Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i used to swear like that .... and every now and then it comes out again when i am upset or hurt myself, etc... i agree it is a big turn off .... very low class and negative energy..... i have gotten to the point where i cannot watch it in movies or with comics, etc... it just turns me off and feels yucky... so i agree.... though she probably would do better if she knew how to do better.... it is interesting these things that hold us back in life and we don't even realize it ..... hopefully the lightbulb will come on and she will see the darkness in her words and lighten up!:).... be well...
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm Scottish, my every other word is f**k, I say c**t at least once a day and I replaced the word stuff for s**t a very long time ago :L

I do tone it down around parents, polite company and kiddies though!
  • jasmineheaven
    Options
    I was raised never to swear so instead of saying the F word I'll say fudge sticks or cheese and dip or shiz nid lol....I make up words on the spot. I probably cursed maybe 3 times last year verbally....now texting is different lol.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Words have meaning, even curse words.

I have no trouble with someone using those words when the situation calls for it. Sometimes one just has to say "WHAT THE *@#&amp;!" But if one uses that word in every sentence, what does one say when they are really frustrated and at their wits end? Same goes for !*^% , ><?), and \)(|#$. (I certainly don't want my posting privileges to be suspended for using the words here)
    I have less trouble with people swearing than with people rendering otherwise descriptive words meaningless.

Do I swear? Rarely. When I do, it would be in your best interest to run for cover.

LOL when I truly want my curses to have meaning they do! I usualy string together curses in other languages.
    Oh and for the record I have a 165 I.Q. andwas reading at a college level in the 4th grade. My vocabulary probably contians words that some people have never even heard of. Words only have the power you give them. :flowerforyou:
  • jenbit
    Options
    When I was a little middle-class girl in braids and lace, my mama taught me a lot about class. I learned that being 'classy' involves making the people around you feel comfortable and never, ever judging other people or assuming I'm better than them. I choose not to swear in front of children or strangers because I am showing them a courtesy, not because I feel that there's anything wrong the language itself. It's about having good manners and showing respect for other people.

For those that think ladies shouldn't swear at all, my dears, you'd be clutching your pearls if you overheard a conversation between me and my friends. Of course, I would have enough 'class' not to swear in front of you if it made you uncomfortable. I wouldn't even think poorly of you for your discomfort or draw conclusions about your upbringing because of it. After all, classy people do not make assumptions about another person's intelligence or social status based on something as superficial as their choice of dialect or vocabulary. I also don't assume that every person that uses Ebonics is 'from the ghetto'- or that a person with a southern accent must, naturally, be an inbred hillbilly- because stereotyping is a disgusting habit. Since my mama raised me right, I don't roll that way.

Now, if you'll excuse me, this lady shall be off in the kitchen, doing lady-like business like smoking cigars and rewiring the stove.

I think you may be my new favorite person.
    Seriously your choice to use certain words is up to you. What I cant stand is people telling me what should and should not come out of my mouth. My 2 children kknow the correct words for the "personal areas" and have since they were babies. I cannot say this enough the more emphisis we put on words being bad the more small people want to learn them. No word should have a negative conotation simply because you don't like it
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time wrapping my head around the reasons why specific words are deemed "bad." For derogatory terms it makes sense because there is a history there and people have been oppressed using that language, and I also don't like it when swear words are directed toward people to put them down. But when it's just in general, and it's a word that's an alternative to poop or a body part, for example, I don't get why some are "bad" and some are okay.

That being said, I do agree that there are situations where it isn't appropriate, (because it makes others uncomfortable, or is not socially acceptable in those situations, etc.). Too much swearing can also get annoying at times.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

I have no trouble with someone using those words when the situation calls for it. Sometimes one just has to say "WHAT THE *@#&amp;!" But if one uses that word in every sentence, what does one say when they are really frustrated and at their wits end? Same goes for !*^% , ><?), and \)(|#$. (I certainly don't want my posting privileges to be suspended for using the words here)
    I have less trouble with people swearing than with people rendering otherwise descriptive words meaningless.

Do I swear? Rarely. When I do, it would be in your best interest to run for cover.

LOL when I truly want my curses to have meaning they do! I usualy string together curses in other languages.
    Oh and for the record I have a 165 I.Q. andwas reading at a college level in the 4th grade. My vocabulary probably contians words that some people have never even heard of. Words only have the power you give them. :flowerforyou:
    You did not just throw out the equivalent of an intellectual resume. BWHAHAHAHAHA!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I swear when idiot drivers cut me up, or pedestrians walk into the road without looking
  • jenbit
    Options

You did not just throw out the equivalent of an intellectual resume. BWHAHAHAHAHA!

LOL yes I did because I'm am tired of hearing how swearing means you dont have the intelegence or vocabulary to use a different word.:bigsmile:
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    LOL yes I did because I'm am tired of hearing how swearing means you dont have the intelegence or vocabulary to use a different word.:bigsmile:
    Choose

Scene: Soft music...lights low. Cuddled on the couch with your SO. He/she/it nuzzles up to your ear and whispers

"Right now I want you to throw me on the bed and have relations"

or

"Right now I want you to throw me on the bed and *kitten* me"

I mean, we are using a "more appropriate" euphemism.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ask either one of my kids what my favorite work is - they will spell it for you F**K. I have never, ever heard either one of them say it. They might with their friends (they are 13 and 16) but never in front of me. They are living proof kids can hear cuss words and not use them. On the flip side I never, not once, heard my own mom cuss and I sure learned how! Good old Catholic school :)
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind, unless it feels forced and inappropriate. I don't think it is absolutely necessary or anything of course not, but I don't really react to it either unless it's totally out of place in the conversation.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    imho, swear words are like strong spices. They don't belong everywhere, and some people can't handle them, but in some cases, very useful and perfect for the occasion! Also generally not good for use around children haha
    :flowerforyou:

Love this!!! Great post :)
    Sláinte
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I find you sound ignorant when you swear. You sound much more intelligent if you come up with another word besides a swear word.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    One case in point, when Bill had been living with me for about a year, we took my son to his football game, or soccer for Americans lol, and as we stood watching the game Bill just said to the rest of the parents on the touchline, 'Josh was wanking all the way along here in the back of the car'....total silence and wide open jaw dropping horror struck looks from everyone..including me...as to us wanking means masturbating, and to HIM it meant 'complaining.....so it was like him saying my 9 year old son had been jerking off in the back of the car on the way o the game......cultural difference can be a bugger

That was f*cking hilarious!!!