How can I add oatmeal to my diet when I hate it?

Options

Replies

• starrnj
    starrnj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    that sounds good!
  • starrnj
    starrnj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness thank you so much for all the ideas!!! Its not so much that I'm trying to force myself to like it but more need new ways to try it that gives it a different texture. I love oatmeal in cookies, bars etc but am struggling with having oatmeal as a breakfast. I will definitely be trying some of your recipes (especially the ones with peanut butter which is my favorite) and will let y'all know. My favorite cookies are oatmeal raisin and the chocolate no bake cookies are never ever safe around me either so again its not the taste but the texture I need to find a way around. Thanks again y'all are amazing!!
    I don't like the instant oatmeal either. I find it much too sweet and really cant even taste the oatmeal flavor..I'm glad you posted the question! you got so many great answers..can't wait to try the old fashioned oats...I bet it would be especially good on a chilly morning
  • anderfan
    anderfan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried steel cut oats?
  • katiegirl3
    Options
    "Oatmeal on the go"

1/2 C. old fashioned oats
    3/4 c. vanilla soy milk (enough to cover the fruit and oats)
    sprinkle of cinnamon
    diced apple
    1/4 banana diced
    4 walnuts chopped

Mix all ingred. and put in refriderator overnight, Stir and enjoy the next morning. The milk is sweetened so no need to add sugar or sugar sub., The oatmeal is not cooked and softens from absorbing the milk, because it is not cooked it sustains you for longer and you don't get the blood sugar drop like I do after eating something more processed like cheerios. I love it this way! You can subsititute any fruit or nut combination.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    Do what makes everything better....turn it into a cookie!

http://www.adventuresofaseason.com/2011/11/cranberry-oatmeal-hot-beverage-cookies.html

Just cut out the granulated sugar and be sure to use dark chocolate. You could also substitute wheat flour for the all-purpose. yum.
  • kegonzales
    Options
    I blend it into my smoothies, it keeps me fuller longer.
  • carriedavis77
    carriedavis77 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Coming from a former oatmeal hater here is how I've come to LOVE it :) I have it I'd say 5 days a week for breakfast now with no end in site to my addiction :)

Quaker Oats Weight Control instant oatmeal box... I think there's 6 packets in there? i forget... they usually run on sale locally 2 boxes for $5! I get the maple flavored!

Buy a big bag of granny smith apples and store em in the fridge... get yourself a bag of "Oceanspray craisens" or reg raisens would be just as good I'm sure.

Next... I put one packet of the oatmeal in a bowl, dice up one apple and throw it in the bow... add some cinnamon and about 20 crasiens... add water and nuke 2 minutes... OMG! Tastes JUST like warm apple pie <3
  • missclaridge
    missclaridge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try The Biggest Loser's oatmeal pancakes. My boys like them better than regular pancakes.
  • merandrich
    Options
    Make a meatloaf using oatmeal. This recipe is for 3 meatloafs. You can eat 1 and freeze the others.

3 pcks Jenny O Extra Lean Turkey patties
    1cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped green or red pepper
    1 1/2 cups Quaker oats
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1 can cream of low fat mushroom soup
    2 eggs
    2 t salt. 2 tsp pepper
    I also use Tonys Chachere's Cajun Seaning

Mix all ingredients well. I make three mound loafs, on a cookie sheet/pan.
    Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 1 hour. Enjoy! :smile:
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Mix oatmeal with peanut butter.

^^^^this this and this.......
  • rudyalvarez
    Options
    I agree with others in here. If you don't like it, there are alternatives to it. I like Quinoa as a cereal myself. This has more Protien and is Lower in Carbs!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the point of eating something you don't like? There's nothing in oats that can't be found in some other food.

This. Life's too short to eat food you hate.
  • washington_apple
    washington_apple Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the texture of oats, although I do eat old-fashioned, which don't totally mush up like instant or even quick. This might be something you'd enjoy. The texture is creamy and dense to me rather than mushy/snotty. I eat this amount for a healthy snack, or double it for a bowl of breakfast cereal:

1/4 c. old fashioned oats
    1/3 c. water
    1 1/2 tsp. creamy peanut butter
    3/4 tsp. cocoa powder
    1 packet Splenda

Put oats and water in a cereal bowl and microwave for about a minute. Stir in the peanut butter until totally combined, then add the cocoa powder and Splenda and mix again. To me, this tastes like a chocolate no-bake cookie before it's set up!

I am gonna try this this week! Thank you!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If she likes oatmeal cookies, she likes oatmeal. She just hasn't had it cooked properly yet. :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    why would you eat something you hate
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal bread? With super chunk peanut butter. yum
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm not its biggest fan, either. But I did get some earlier and I'm going to blend it in my shake just so I can get the calories in. I think it will help keep my full until my mid-morning snack. :)
  • Stroupester
    Stroupester Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big oatmeal fan either, but I started eating it b/c it's good for nursing. So here's my recipe, you can sweeten it up more if you like but the applesauce changes the texture and adds some sweet without a ton of sugar.
    1/3 c old fashioned oats
    1/3 c milk
    1/3 c (no sugar added) applesauce
    a few shakes of cinnamon
    stir together, microwave 1 min
    add 1/3 c blueberries (or blackberries or whatever or not at all)
    microwave another min

I also add a handful to recipes when baking.
  • flirty30
    flirty30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get it. I love oatmeal in cookies and granola but hated eating it otherwise. I found it found it frustrating that I could like it in one form but not another. I decided I would try different types. Steel cut didn't work for me because it took too long to cook and instant is too mushy. I settled on thick cut rolled oats. They don't cook down to mush. I also add brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts and bananas or raisins.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    don't. Eat something else that does what oatmeal would do for you. There are plenty of other good high-fiber, low calorie carbs out there.