Recommendation To Wives and GFs Out There

Options
Simply, a recommendation...

If your husband/bf/so/partner makes dinner, please be at lease polite enough to try it. If you don't like it, no need to lie. However, at least try it before turning your nose up at it. Especially if it's a day you're not feeling well, and your partner is simply trying to help out.

Oh....what did I make for dinner you ask? Thanks for asking. I served chili beans (chili with beans) and cheese over brown rice. I ate it and the kids ate it. It wasn't gourmet, but it was edible and it wasn't laden with fat and it was affordable.

Karma.....

Replies

• Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm sick too. My hubby also cooked tonight. He made pizzas on tortillas. Tortilla, marinara sauce, ham, cheese. For extra punch he threw some gorgonzola crumbles on some of them. Quick, easy, cheap, and tates indulgent but really isn't.
  • strawberry123187
    Options
    is there an exception when you've already tried the persons cooking on several occasions(and almost horribly gagged each time) and the food is very visibly not done all the way?
  • JennysMan
    Options
    is there an exception when you've already tried the persons cooking on several occasions(and almost horribly gagged each time) and the food is very visibly not done all the way?

um, yes....I think you are on safe ground with that choice.....lol!
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am honest if I don't like something my fiance' made. 9 times out of ten I LOVE his cooking but there are some foods I just don't like BUT I do try it anyways because I was taught to always try something before I say I don't like it.

The only thing I will NOT eat ever of his, is spicy food. I just can't not handle anything spicier than garlic.. He knows this so its all good.

Sorry if your SO wasn't as appreciative. I know a LOT of guys who can't even boil water so when I hear a man CAN cook.....it confuses me why the girl isn't thankful!?!
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    man if my husband cooked I would kiss him and prob lick the plate and he would possibly get lucky that night lol
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    lol my husband and I have had just as many fights about food as we have about money in the 4+ years we've been married! mostly on his side with him not wanting to try things I've made or me "tweaking" one of his favorite dishes (I have a blog post dedicated to the meatloaf fiasco of 2007 it was bad... it still gets brought up on a regular basis)

however these days he's a little more mindful of the things he makes (and acknowledges that if its made with white bread, includes the words "processed cheese product" or contains mayo I will not touch it. nope not even a taste) and I'm a little more mindful of what I "tweak" (for the record: it is acceptable to swap ground turkey for ground beef in meatloaf.... it is NOT acceptable to add spinach. nope just dont do it)
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am really lucky because my husband is a former chef. He has joined mfp this week to do this as a family. His only problem was he made a lot of fatty foods, but we have altered some of the recipes to make them healthier.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I dont know the details here, and I think it was really, really sweet of you to make dinner. But if she is sick, she might not have been able to stomach chili. I know if I am ill I cant eat anything spicier than chicken broth. Even the noodles are too much. And I am not always the most kind and chatty person when i am sick either. It is usually a grunt and back under the covers.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    wish my husband would at least try...never happen!
  • strawberry123187
    Options

um, yes....I think you are on safe ground with that choice.....lol!

if it's looks cooked all the way i'm at least brave enough to try it although past experience should have SERIOUSLY taught me better by now lol but I love him so I suck it up.......& then kick him out of my kitchen to make something edible :tongue:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why is this advice only directed at women?
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    What if the cook has a proven track record of boogering things up?
  • JennysMan
    Options
    Why is this advice only directed at women?

You're right...it should be directed at both sexes. However, I am a man, and I'll admit I was speaking from the stereotypical perspective that the wife/woman is usually the one responsible for meals. Conversely, it is atypical of many men to try to cook something, especially, if they don't know how to cook in general.

Sorry, I'm venting a bit. And I'll admit, I'm probably more sensitive about this because of other feelings of being unappreciated and taken for granted in general.

Also, for the record, she didn't have a stomach ailment or anything that would preclude her from eating...she told me to my face that she didn't like the sound of it and wasn't going to try it (which is something I would have NEVER done).
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My Hubbs (bless his heart!) only knows how to make a few things:
    Cereal
    Sandwiches
    Spaghetti
    Grilled cheese (THE BEST IN THE WORLD)
    Subway

I'm not being an *kitten* here, he really hates cooking, and admits he would rather starve than make himself a sandwich. His grilled cheese sandwiches are to die for, though.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky in the fact that my husband is a fabulous cook, but unlucky in the fact that he refuses to alter the meals to make them a little healthier. I shouldn't complain.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    OOPS! Dub post!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that. That was just plain rude. You should totally Dutch oven her later.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    The action itself earns points in my book. Sorry you didn't get a good reception. I'll just say maybe since she's not feeling well that she's lost her stops.
  • ViolaEverAfter
    ViolaEverAfter Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    man if my husband cooked I would kiss him and prob lick the plate and he would possibly get lucky that night lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    mine cooked for me. once. in 15 years. after that we mutually decided it would be best if i cooked, he made cheese quesadillas. just one little problem....he used dish soap instead of olive oil.:laugh: have ya ever smelled soap burning on stove? believe me you'll know the smell when/if you ever encounter it! we had friends over too- one of them had taken a few bites before realizing something was oh so very wrong. lolol.
    okay in his defense i did keep the dish soap in one of those tabletop oil or vinegar glass bottles w/ metal top (kwim?) however it was next to sink among the other things ya use to wash dishes. olive oil was always on kitchen counter in big bottle w/ label that manufacturer puts on that says ..well "olive oil" near other stuff commonly used to cook. he had to move that big bottle EVOO out of his way too at some point i had noticed.
    we still joke about that one "oh i get it! you were trying to cook and wash the pan at same time! why has no one ever thought of that time-saver before? brilliant!" :laugh: