Is Shakeology overpriced?

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Is Shakeology overpriced?

What prompted this post, was actually being linked to a Beachbody's coaches blog tackling this subject( (http://healthfitcoach.tumblr.com/post/13929747782/is-shakeology-expensive). As it would turn out, the post was kinda about me
(http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395149-shakeology?error_user_id=8103392&error_username=Acg67&page=5). Now the
coach was extremely disingenuous while doing her price comparison to the handful of products i threw out as not only better then ShakeO but cheaper, she mislisted all the serving counts or used the price of higher serving products to make it seem like ShakeO was a better deal. Also she shows a profound ignorance about vitamins and minerals as she scoffs at taking 4-6 multi vitamins a day (the reason why quality multis are multiple pills a day is that your body can only absorb a certain amount before it ends up excreting it, so you space out doses throughout the day to get the most out of your multi)

Keep in mind that forms of vitamins and minerals matter. For example cyanocobalmin is a synthetic form of B-12 that cannot be used by the body until the cyanide group is removed from it vs methylcobalamin which is one of the 2 coenzyeme forms that the body can use. Also we can take a look at Vitamin E, here are some studies showing supplemental alpha tocopherol lowering plasma levels of gamma tocopherol. (coincidentally lower CVD risk has been correlated with higher levels of gamma not alpha tocopherol)

Olmedilla B, Granado F, Southon S, et al. A European multicentre, placebo-controlled
supplementation study with alpha-tocopherol, carotene-rich palm oil, lutein or lycopene: analysis of
serum responses. Clin Sci (Lond). 2002 Apr;102(4):447-56.

Handelman GJ, Machlin LJ, Fitch K, et al. Oral alpha-tocopherol supplements decrease plasma
gamma-tocopherol levels in humans. J Nutr. 1985 Jun;115(6):807-13.

Handelman GJ, Epstein WL, Peerson J, et al. Human adipose alpha-tocopherol and gammatocopherol kinetics during and after 1 y of alpha-tocopherol supplementation. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994 May;59(5):1025-32.

Now for the comparison

Shakeology
$120/$4 serving $90/$3 serving if you become a coach
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQo0SwIMj3m2VpfBh82B3vEru-o6SVixRYlAxBmdYdJoY3R_wILNw

Here are the products I suggested off the top of my head, that i considered best in class and had much better profiles and was cheaper then ShakeO. I just used all BB.com prices since they are middle to higher then other online stores, if you were to shop around you'd get better prices on all the ones below.

AOR Ortho core
$45.99 for 30full servings $1.533/serving
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/aor/orthocore.html
orthocored.jpg

Green Vibrance (Look at the label no prop blends)
$66 for 60 servings $1.10/serving
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/vibrant-health/green-viberance.html
Vibrant-Health-Green-Vibrance-powder-300x300.jpg

Trutein (just a powder i like the taste of, but any quality protein would suffice)
$56.99 for 67 servings $.851/serving
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tru-nutrition/trutein.html
tru_trutein_5lb.jpeg

I also mentioned another quality multi, in case Ortho Core was too expensive

Source Naturals Life Force Multiple
$33.90 45 full servings $.753/serving
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/source/life.html
lifeforcemultiple.jpg

So if you take the first 3 you'd get a cost of $3.48/serving and have at least a 2 month supply of everything but your multi. If you were to use the 10% off bb.com code, it'd bring it down to $3.14/serving. When you compare the profiles of these products to ShakeO, the difference should be apparent. And if you were to substituent Life Force for Orthro Core you'd get a price per serving $2.70/$2.43 with coupon.

Now let's say you don't really care about vitamin and mineral forms and wanted something comparable to ShakeO

Nature's Alive Alive! Multi
$29.99 for 60 servings $.50/serving
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nw/al.html
image_26762_450_white.jpg

Optimum Gold Standard Whey
$52.99, 74 servings $.71/serving
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
optimum-100-whey-gold.jpg

So we have a comparable profile to ShakeO at the fraction of the cost.

So to conclude, if you think you need to supplement with something like ShakeO, you can get much better products for cheaper. Thus ShakeO is indeed overpriced.

If anyone has issues with this,

funny-gifs-patrick-has-been-working-out.gif

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    b9vfl4b63im3ajczb5y6Qle8o1_250.gif
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out. I still don't think you'll convince anyone who already believes in Shakeology.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Like the way you have put this together acg. I've only heard of Shakeology here on mfp, it's yet to make it's way to Turkey :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    8611022.jpg
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Very nicely written post. Thanks for posting this.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    8611022.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

soo funny!!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    8611022.jpg

HCG

Yeah, I said it....

Now, it can begin!
  • ChallengeChick
    Options
    Yes, I think it is. I prefer the Body By Vi Shakes which have a tri-sorb protein and taste like cake mix. I can mix it with anything and even make pancakes, protein bars and muffins. Also used as a meal replacement it is only $1.87 per shake which is almost 1/2 the price of a BB shake.
  • ange0628
    ange0628 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bumping this for all the shake info....thanks so much for posting :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I wish more people would see this!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

What does Ortho core + Green Vibrance + protein powder TASTE like?

Have you tried the combo yourself to see if it's palatable? I don't want to buy it all and then think it's yucky, lol. Would it be OK with chocolate protein powder + peanut butter (which I love the taste of, but can't stand most choco-PB protein powders, lol)? Or would the taste be more comparable to the Greenberry Shakeology which, IMHO tastes like crap?
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    thanks OP

nice post.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

Have you tried the combo yourself to see if it's palatable? I don't want to buy it all and then think it's yucky, lol. Would it be OK with chocolate protein powder + peanut butter (which I love the taste of, but can't stand most choco-PB protein powders, lol)? Or would the taste be more comparable to the Greenberry Shakeology which, IMHO tastes like crap?

I fully admit, green vibrance is not the most pleasant tasting powder, but in a shake you can't really taste it. Ortho Core is tasteless, but it is a good amount of pills and i know you mentioned before that you dislike pills (many people half dose orthocore due to the price but still at half dose it beats almost any multi on the market)
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Very nicely written. And I agree!! I tried ShakeO once but I honestly didnt like either of the flavors and I just coulnt justify the cost!! I buy the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard and take a multi-vit and amino complex and I feel great all of the time....at a much cheaper cost!!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Just curious...

orthocare is a vitamin
    you don't have to mix the protein and the greens together. just drink them seperately. most greens products can be mixed with water and taste fine.
    mix your protein powder with whatever you prefer.
    and you're right most choco-pb protein powders taste nothing like real PB :D
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out. I still don't think you'll convince anyone who already believes in Shakeology.

this...

BB is extremely effective at their brainwashingmarketing I liked P90x but the shakeology isnt worth it.

Time after time I have seen here and firsthand guys and gals who see that they can get the same nutrition for much less yet still stay with shakeology. Doesnt make any sense but there it is.

good post.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic post. I am enjoying Shakeology a lot and feel I'm having great results but I don't have the knowledge to compare alternatives. I'm willing to pay a premium for it right now for a number of reasons:

1. Convenience (1 product that is a convenient meal replacement)
    2. Taste (which I happen to really like)
    3. Part of a package (Yes I am sucked in by the Beachbody marketing machine-I am loving their fitness programs and getting support from a great coach and he benefits when I purchase this)

But I don't see it as something I will do for forever. Thanks for this I'm going to bookmark it and also share it with people who tell me they would like to try Shakeology but can't afford it.

I wish people didn't get so hostile and demeaning about this (not referring to the OP here). I don't think people should be demeaned for their choices even if you feel you can prove a point of fact that there are "better" choices.

Agreed!
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think both the green and chocolate shakeology tastes wonderful. And, it's cheaper then McD's!
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Just curious...

I fully admit, green vibrance is not the most pleasant tasting powder, but in a shake you can't really taste it. Ortho Core is tasteless, but it is a good amount of pills and i know you mentioned before that you dislike pills (many people half dose orthocore due to the price but still at half dose it beats almost any multi on the market)

It's not that I just dislike pills, but rather the fact that anything bigger than an Excedrin can and will get stuck in my throat. I've had bad experiences...it's not fun making yourself barf so you can crush the pill next time only to feel like barfing again cause it tastes so bitter crushed. That's why I need a multi in powder, liquid, or chewable form. And the "good" ones are always these huge stinkin' horse pills, it seems.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I think both the green and chocolate shakeology tastes wonderful. And, it's cheaper then McD's!

Um...so what? I don't go to McDonald's for proper nutrition!!! We are comparing highly nutritious supps, not fast food...grumble, grumble, grumble.

THIS is the reason so many coaches are hated...