What ARE the dating rules?

Options

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    But there ARE rules!!!

I know it. It doesn't mean I will follow them (I'm a taurus and stubborn as hell and I'm a preacher's kid so usually what you tell me to do, I will do the opposite) but I kinda would like to know if I've broken one yet.

since you're clearly not into following rules (me either!), would you want to be with a guy that is?

I think I have followed some actually, without knowing it. I think. Ha!

third date sex? :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Men are from The Earth. Women are from The Earth. Just deal with it!

When a person says X, don't spend days analysing with friends and internet acquaintances whether they actually meant Y or implied Z, they probably just meant X.

Be clear with your intentions. "I'll call you Wednesday to sort out something for the weekend" will cause a lot less anxiety over Monday and Tuesday than "Call you soon."
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It was previously established on MFP that:

you shouldn't put out on a first date
    you always offer to pay
    you don't bring children or friends on your date
    showering is optional
    you must throw out an obligatory donkey joke

I think that was all...

I forgot one: No coupons on a first date
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'll give the only advice you can count on. Use sunscreen.

The rest is up to you.

OMG I LOVE that song!!!!!!:drinker:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I went out with a guy twice... He seemed to be really into me. We kissed in the rain after the 2nd date. :love:

Then the next night my bff and I went out and my drunk *kitten* drunk dialed him at like 3:30am! :noway: Well I texted him (he's up late usually) and then I asked him to call me. He did. We talked for about 15 minutes. I told him I wasn't drunk just wanted to hear from him. Ha!
    But after that I noticed he pulled away some. Granted, we've hung out a couple of more times after that but I don't know... it's confusing!

Would that turn you guys off? Did I make myself look psycho?
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I went out with a guy twice... He seemed to be really into me. We kissed in the rain after the 2nd date. :love:

Then the next night my bff and I went out and my drunk *kitten* drunk dialed him at like 3:30am! :noway: Well I texted him (he's up late usually) and then I asked him to call me. He did. We talked for about 15 minutes. I told him I wasn't drunk just wanted to hear from him. Ha!
    But after that I noticed he pulled away some. Granted, we've hung out a couple of more times after that but I don't know... it's confusing!

Did you text him a pic of you in a wedding dress?
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    The rules are this... DO what is in your heart but keep a clear head. If your not compatable or no chemestry - then end it. Dont beat a dead horse - I am dealing with this now - and will be divorced on Jan 30! (THANK GOD!!!). I was suppost to be divorced on Jan 10th but I walked into the courtroom right after they called my name and they made me reschedule. I tell you I was PISSED OFF - I had to cancel 2 parties this weekend :)
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    But there ARE rules!!!

I know it. It doesn't mean I will follow them (I'm a taurus and stubborn as hell and I'm a preacher's kid so usually what you tell me to do, I will do the opposite) but I kinda would like to know if I've broken one yet.

since you're clearly not into following rules (me either!), would you want to be with a guy that is?

I think I have followed some actually, without knowing it. I think. Ha!

third date sex? :laugh:

Nope! I actually dated a guy for almost 3 months and didn't give it up to him.. ha
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

LMGDAO
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

lol. reminds of of the episode of Friends where rachel answers the door in a wedding dress and its the guy she likes.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    It was previously established on MFP that:

you shouldn't put out on a first date
    you always offer to pay
    you don't bring children or friends on your date
    showering is optional
    you must throw out an obligatory donkey joke

I think that was all...

I forgot one: No coupons on a first date
    How did I ever manage to get a date? A donkey punch joke is always a big big hit.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    For me I guess the "rules" would be

- stay safe, let a friend know where I am, and pre-arrange a safety phone call etc
    - offer to pay
    - be me, but let the weird out in measured doses ;)
  • La_Amazona
    Options

with the veil on and everything.. WHY?
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    The rules are this... DO what is in your heart but keep a clear head. If your not compatable or no chemestry - then end it. Dont beat a dead horse - I am dealing with this now - and will be divorced on Jan 30! (THANK GOD!!!). I was suppost to be divorced on Jan 10th but I walked into the courtroom right after they called my name and they made me reschedule. I tell you I was PISSED OFF - I had to cancel 2 parties this weekend :)

Ooooh that sucks! Well at least it's coming sooner than later.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options

Honestly? I wouldn't say psycho but definitely that you're very interested. Some guys like to "chase" girls so next time I would leave your cell in the car, or if you have a smart phone install one of those apps where you have to do math or a puzzle when you want to make a call late at night.
    If you haven't read He's Just Not That Into You, that's a great read!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Act like a guy and they will all fall at your feet. (don't call when you say you will, break plans, etc etc.)
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Rules? First I've heard about them. To be honest it depends on you and your make up and upbringing. Some people believe that no sex on a first date is a "rule", other dont. Some people think the man should pay others dont etc.

I think some general "rules" would be:

Dont tell them you love them on the first date
    Dont eat garlic heavy food just before meeting
    Dont wear so much perfume that people are passing out around you
    Dont talk about your ex's (had that happen to me once)
    Offer to go Dutch on drinks
    Dont get drunk
    Let someone know where you are going and who you are seeing (you never know)
    Dont go into it with any expectations aside from the hope of a fun night finding out about someone else
    Dont text them seconds after you leave and then every half hour (a text the next day is considered "proper" from the forums I've read)
    Probably best to avoid "messy" foods like spaghetti if you're nervous

Personally speaking I'd tend to be polite (opening doors etc - though that can backfire) and I'd take maybe some flowers if it was a first date. I wouldnt go all the way either... not unless I got hammered. :)

What you're looking for ideally is someone that shares a similar bunch of rules to you and your outlook towards them.
  • cnotefwb
    cnotefwb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Read "He's Just Not That Into You." Don't watch the movie, read the book. Excellent, excellent stuff. Main premise is that if a man really wants to be with you, he will move heaven and earth to be with you. If he doesn't do that - then don't blow up his phone, try to decipher "hints", or rationalize his behaviour.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Sometimes we pull away to slow the pace down. It doesn't mean we aren't interested, it just means we aren't ready to rush into things.

The best way to deal with confusion is to just ask.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I know this one - is it throw them onto their back, pin them to the floor, then if they slap the ground three times that's a submission and a win to you ?