gym pet peeves

Options
123457»

Replies

• CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I totally don't get the treadmill peeves. If they want to hold onto the handles, let them.
    Agreed.

If something doesn't affect you personally, why worry about it? Does life not have enough worries or burdens, that one has to look for more of them while at the gym?

^this
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    There is this woman who comes to the step aerobics class I attend. She doesn't follow the choreography, and chews gum while half-heartedly stepping along. If you're THAT bored, why bother? You're taking up space from someone who actually wants to work out!

I agree with this one. And while I certainly wouldn't judge someone's ability (or inability) to follow the choreography or "move to the beat", there definitely are people in my classes who intentionally "march to the beat of their own drummer", and what bugs me is that they always seem to want to position themselves "center front" so they throw everyone else off. I take Zumba classes, and we have all kinds of characters. One lady must see herself as a ballerina because she makes up her own ballerina-style moves that are WAY OFF from what the instructor is doing. And when the second last song starts, which is just the start of the cool down / stretch, she lays down on the floor and goes through this elaborate stretching routine that is frankly embarassing to watch. There is another woman who pretty much just hops up and down - she is small and fit, and doesn't appear to have any disabilities or restrictions, but she just does a hopping jog through the whole thing - her arms swinging in a joggers motion, not doing anything the instructor does. I am not mocking them - don't get me wrong - they both CHOOSE to do their own thing, and both stand in the front. Even if the stretching thing is due to some medical problem, she could leave the Zumba room - there are plenty of other areas in the gym where she could do her stretching. It is just annoying, Many people on this thread have said "just mind your own business" but when people "get right in front of you", that's just rude.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have another to add - people like those complaining about other people's workouts when they don't understand them. Grunting happens when you're shifting a large lump of iron, and when we do 6 reps of a big weight and take a break, it's because we have to.

I wish people would just mind their own business and not take offense to what others are doing, so long as courtesies such as wiping and unloading equipment are upheld.

This. All of it.

The only thing that has happened that bothered me at the gym was the guy who just smoked a pack of cigarettes and then got on the treadmill right beside me. I have pretty severe asthma and nothing gives me an attack faster than cigarette fumes. It was awful.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Things I enjoy at the gym;

Seeing people follow the rules. Or someone helping another person out with something and not being a **** about it.

For example; I was boxing once and this pro level guy was in there working with his kids and he walked up to me and he just said "May I offer some advice" I said sure and he corrected my form. Which was very nice.

I like the "things I enjoy at the gym". Last week I saw two women assisted by staff to walk to the recumbent bikes-both had to use walkers. One of severly overweight and the other was an elderly woman. I thought it was great that these people were getting assistance so that, regardless of their physical limitations, they were able to get some form of exercise in.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have another to add - people like those complaining about other people's workouts when they don't understand them. Grunting happens when you're shifting a large lump of iron, and when we do 6 reps of a big weight and take a break, it's because we have to.

I wish people would just mind their own business and not take offense to what others are doing, so long as courtesies such as wiping and unloading equipment are upheld.

This. All of it.

The only thing that has happened that bothered me at the gym was the guy who just smoked a pack of cigarettes and then got on the treadmill right beside me. I have pretty severe asthma and nothing gives me an attack faster than cigarette fumes. It was awful.
    I understand, I don't have asthma, but cigarette smoke seems to suck the oxygen out of my lungs. Nasty.
  • JustLena75
    Options
    When a gaggle of older women come into the gym, hog all the treadmills and proceed to have a hen session at the top of their lunds for the minimum 30 minutes. And people who bring their kids with them and the said kid is hanging out on a machine I want to use doing NOTHING. Yep, I ask them to move. I like seeing young people at the gym, and there is one guy that goes to my gym...he rides his electric scooter several blocks to get to the gym and has to wear an oxygen tank, but he still works out. It is a wake up call for me that I really have NO excuse!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

This. All of it.

This annoys me in general, just the smell of cigarette smoke on someone triggers migraines for me :/, so does heavy perfumes.
  • Galletakek
    Options

^ Nuff said! ..
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Holding onto the treadmill...I just don't get it for 90% of the people I see holding on.

i see nothing wrong with not wanting to fall on ur butt

I suggest you put the treadmill at max incline with a very high speed and try not holding on when you are burning over 1000 cals per hour. I will visit you in the hospital when you fall back on your head.

MY problem with people holding on to a treadmill while incline is that they lean back and hang on... if you lean back the resistance is hardly even there.

my biggest pet peeve is people in the gym just taking up space, they think they are working out but they dont even break a sweat. i work my *kitten* off in the gym.. i am there for 2.5 hours or so sweating my *kitten* off and feel like death is around the corner lol. then people wonder why they "cant" lose weight.... so stupid.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    On 3 separate occasions I have had the displeasure of having to exercise next to a gaggle of overly hormonal muscle guys who were talking, almost shouting, stories about "*****es". Not only are these stories so disrespectful, but it makes me severely self-conscious bc I can only imagine what they would say about me :( especially about how I look dripping in sweat with my chunky butt on the elliptical :(
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Okay. when people are squating/deading, I'll wait until their done if I'm near them to do my lift.

I was right in the middle of my 275lb dead rep and some dumb azz old biach that I already hate walks right in front of me. I had to just drop the weight on the ground because it distracted me. Holy sheit I was mad but I didn't say anything.
  • peachypinkk1
    Options
    I hate when people sit around and text on machines or socialize all around the gym

I hate when sales ppl come up to me telling me to bring a friend in..

LA FITNESS.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    When people aren't really using their machines.. (walking 2.0 on the treadmill) someone else could use it if you're not committed!

I was asked by a man to get off the treadmill so he could use it as I was going slow and was obviously not committed enough... but this was whilst recovering from an ankle injury! He was actually so embarassed after I told him, served him right :noway:
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Wow...I think I go to a pretty good gym!

I live in a generally lower socio-economic suburb, and the gym I go to is subsidised by the city council. So people don't go there to flirt or show off or pick up blokes, there's flash gyms for them to do that at. People at my gym are generally locals who just want to get fit.

So I love seeing people who are clearly just there to get healthy - the very overweight, or the elderly, or the disabled. Everyone seems to work hard, and apart from one lady who doesn't wipe her machines (ngggggggg....) there's no problems.
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    HATE: 1) The other day a women got a phone call while on the treadmill and started talking REALLY loudly, so much so I could hear her conversation through my headphones. I mean if you're able to hold a full 20min conversation without sounding weird to the person at the other end then I don't think you're working hard enough, PLUS she was holding on which bugged me.....Just go for a walk outside.

2) this has only happened once and I have never seen them again....But one time when I was doing the C25k plan on the treadmill a couple of girls came in, got on the treadmills next to me ramped up the incline way up (held on....one REALLY looked like she was struggling) then one got off the treadmill after like 5mins and went to the stationary bikes which are infront of the treadmills, and they started TEXTING each other, from about 2ft away! A
    And they kept looking over at sweaty old me doing my walk run....*paranoia alert* and giggling...yes I'm sweaty and breathing heavy but I'm WORKING OUT! Pah.....But like I said NEVER seen them again.

3) 1 zumba class, someone came in late and stood right behind me, even though I was practically by the wall anyway. And then she was better than me anyway and proceeded to nerf me out the way with her moves and glaring at me cause i was in HER way. There was a reason I stood at the back.....to avoid anything like this! And by the end of the class I think she ended up right at the front?!

LOVE:
    1) The staff are so friendly and remember me and so helpful etc etc etc
    2) you see people sweat and work SO hard it gives me inspiration that I can do more to myself and still stand like them hah!
  • ejleadley
    Options
    I had a woman next to me the other week with some much perfume on could hardly breathe!! She had her big curly afro hair everywhere and was in a tracksuit- Im there in a vest top, hair scraped back and looking like a tomato.... she's obivouly not trying hard enough!

Love it when I can get a parking space, thats becoming a rareity!! :) xx
  • ejleadley
    Options
    Holding onto the treadmill...I just don't get it for 90% of the people I see holding on.

i see nothing wrong with not wanting to fall on ur butt

I suggest you put the treadmill at max incline with a very high speed and try not holding on when you are burning over 1000 cals per hour. I will visit you in the hospital when you fall back on your head.

MY problem with people holding on to a treadmill while incline is that they lean back and hang on... if you lean back the resistance is hardly even there.

my biggest pet peeve is people in the gym just taking up space, they think they are working out but they dont even break a sweat. i work my *kitten* off in the gym.. i am there for 2.5 hours or so sweating my *kitten* off and feel like death is around the corner lol. then people wonder why they "cant" lose weight.... so stupid.

If people want to hold on- let them. If people are going slowly- let them. My god they aren't sitting at home with a mars bar are they!! At least people are out and at least starting to do something. It's horrid being bigger and going to the gym for the first couple of times. I still hate it now and I joined in novmeber. Have you ever taken a minute to actually appreciate that someone might be recovering from an injury, or dealing with an existing one, or that they're warming up/ cooling down or that their trainer has actually asked them to have that in their routine!!!!

End :)
  • bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Two women at my gym who insist on coming in and moving round the gym together spending about 5/10 minutes on each machine and talking for ten minutes after getting off. Really do you need to do it every time? But what really annoys me is when I'm in full swing on a bike and they get on a bike on either side of me and proceed to speak across me to each other.....grrrr. Your gonna get off in 5 minutes and chat anyway, do you really need to talk across me?
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When people aren't really using their machines.. (walking 2.0 on the treadmill) someone else could use it if you're not committed!

I was asked by a man to get off the treadmill so he could use it as I was going slow and was obviously not committed enough... but this was whilst recovering from an ankle injury! He was actually so embarassed after I told him, served him right :noway:

Ummm, okay, even without an injury, everybodys workout is not going to be his workout, I wish some *kitten* would ask me to move. Im already mad I gotta be at the gym, dont make me choke a douch.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    When people come up and start talking to my trainer when we're in the middle of a session! How annoying. He hates that too, but still has to be nice of course.