Who has only 1200 calories per day?

Options

Replies

• RckstrMommy
    RckstrMommy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was an obese child. I lost 50 lbs in high school but in order to do so I had to eat between 1000-1200 calories. If I eat over 1500 I gain weight... just the way my body is I guess. I have worked out most of my life and was a teacher for 6 years... to maintain I never let myself go over 1400. Even when pregnant, I counted calories and only ate 1800, even when I was breastfeeding i tried eating 1800 calories (the recommended) - it was hard for me to eat that much, and I gained 5 lbs that week ... which is why it's so frustrating for me that I follow all the diet "rule" but am still overweight. The only time I have ever felt like I could eat what I want was when I was in my early 20s and running 3-5 miles a day (I weight 130). I set my goal as 1200 because I know that is the top of where I should be. Most days I eat between 1100-1200 - and its not so bad, just choose good food that fills you up and don't waste calories on drinks (water, unsweet tea). Lots of veggies and protein.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My advice is see a good doctor. We are all so different. We should be checked before we exercise anyway. I had a severe illness strike out of no where. Please everyone be safe.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It was easy with workout calories, but now even if I don't eat back all my exercise calories, or even if I do, I seem to be stuck at 216. It's driving me nuts. Plus my knees are starting to tell me to chill. So I'm seriously considering a few days of being relatively sedentary with 1200 being the max. The only way I can see to do that is lots of coffee and missing two meals out of my three. Not a good thing for a lifetime, but if I try it for a few days maybe it'll kick start me back to losing again, along with yesterday's 2000 calories + feast of shame.

You definitely do not need to skip meals to stay at 1200, I have three meals a day PLUS snacks and stay within 1200. It is just about moderation and cutting high calorie foods out, if you have a hard time cooking and keeping your calories down try buying frozen dinners and 100 calorie snack packs.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    There are days I have to eat something at the end of the day to bring me up to 1200. I'm hungry if I eat that little anyway, because it messes with my blood sugar. I generally eat somewhere between 1300 and 1600. And I am comfortable. BUT, it depends on what I eat. I could eat 3,000 calories a day and be ravenous all day if I eat sugar or junk food. Or 1200 and feel comfortable all day if I eat highly nutritious food. The more nutrition packed my food, the fewer calories I crave. I am very careful about my diet, to the point of being the food nazi at myself. But I'm on an anti inflammatory diet that demands good nutrition and no empty calories to speak of. I believe it is saving my life at present, so I'm strict with myself.

Like I said, the more junk, the hungrier I am. The less junk, the more satisfied I am. It is helping me make great strides in my health. And the side effect of eating this healthy is weight loss. My emphasis is my health. The weight loss is simply a happy side effect. I don't stress over plateaus. They are what they are. I just continue eating my healthy food plan.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I always see people who have their calories set on 1200 per day. Why so low?

I weigh 160, am 5'5", and have mine set at 1600. That's without eating back exercise calories. I have my settings on lightly active, as I am a teacher. I generally exercise 5x/week. I could NOT get by on 1200 calories per day.

How do you all do it?
    1200 is a set up for a major future fail.

I have given up preaching to such people as they don't listen. Some of life's best lessons come through adversity.
    So be it.

Why do you feel 1200 is a set up for future failure? I get to eat so much food for 1200 calories, I'm not sure how I'll manage when I get to maintenance mode and need to up my intake!

For example, today I'm eating

Breakfast
    2 slices Healthy Life bread w/ 1 tbsp peach preserves
    90 cal Fiber One bar

Lunch
    Sandwich (2 slices Healthy Life bread, 1 slice mild cheddar cheese, 2 oz. turkey breast, 2 'sandwich stackers' pickles, 1 tsp honey mustard)
    1 cup applesauce w/ cinnamon
    1 piece of string cheese

Snack
    1 cup Special K Protein Plus cereal (dry because I'm out of milk)

Dinner
    9 oz fresh tilapia
    2/3 cup sweet corn
    3.5 oz broccoli

And that's just 1102 calories, so I have another 98 to work with (I'll probably have some fruit after dinner), and then if I exercise there's more..... It's PLENTY of food, I eat like this all the time, I don't feel deprived or overly hungry.

I just don't see how I'm setting myself up for failure....
  • andreacord
    Options
    I was at 1200 for awhile., without eating back exercise calories. I don't know how I was doing it because looking back I was always super tired, sluggish and snappy without enough food and too much exercise. I'm at 1400 now with eating some exercise calories back depending on the day. If I'm hungry I'm gonna eat. Enough said. =)
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I always see people who have their calories set on 1200 per day. Why so low?

I weigh 160, am 5'5", and have mine set at 1600. That's without eating back exercise calories. I have my settings on lightly active, as I am a teacher. I generally exercise 5x/week. I could NOT get by on 1200 calories per day.

How do you all do it?
    1200 is a set up for a major future fail.

I have given up preaching to such people as they don't listen. Some of life's best lessons come through adversity.
    So be it.

I was a teacher too!! However, we are not doctors and as you know we are all individuals. My 3 doctors set mine to 1000 daily. I was told Starvation Mode is only in extreme cases. I trust my doctors. It is working. I lose about a pound a week. The minute I go over 1000 I gain. It has nothing to do with exercise, FOR ME!

My friend has celiac and many other problems. She is 5 feet an down to 80 pounds due to her illness/ That is starvation. Everyone is worried. She cant eat without getting severly ill.
  • MrsWashington2B
    Options
    I have 1200 cals a day, and there were a few days that I didn't even make it to 1200. I typically don't eat back my exercise points either. It seems to be working so far. Now, next week I may turn evil from starvation, but for now I'm good.
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find 1200 fine for me. I'm not massively active but when I do take into account my exercise calories I almost always eat them back. I find the only time I'm shocked by how little I'm eating is when I've had a lot of bad snacks that day...if plan my day ahead of time, I have no trouble.

DYYG.png
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My allowance is 1200 calories...to me it is easy.....even eating 6 small meals a day....it's all about portion sizes...like for breakfast I have 1/3 cup cottage cheese and 1/3 cup pineapple chunks and a cup of coffee..=101 calories
    snacks are apples which equal 45-60 calories....salads alone without salad dressing are about 125 calories...then if you use no fat dressing and use the amount you are supposed to be...your salad shouldn't be over 200 calories...and dinner can be lots of veggies and some protein....we have all been used to eating large meals and not eating proper portion sizes....I rarely go over my calorie goal and if I do it's because I overindulged on something that was not good for me...greasy burgers, creamy soups, fatty or sugary desserts....

I rarely go over my calorie goal of 1200 either and it's really not that hard. It's a matter of what you are eating.
  • foxygemini1
    Options
    What are you eating to feel full and stay within your 1200 limit?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have 1230. I eat 6 small meals a day, and can keep it around that level, or a bit above on exercise days. It's about eating quality calories, and not wasting your calories on drinks and empty foods. I could probably eat a bit more and still lose weight, but I'm aiming for 1.5 lbs a week. I'm 5' 7" and 159 lbs. I'd like to be about 135 and muscular. I eat more protein and less fat than MFP recommends, but I still stick within the calories.
  • angieread
    angieread Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS eat the calories I get from working out. On days when I don't workout, I definitely feel the limits of the 1200 a day. Otherwise it's not that hard. That helps keep me motivated to work out. :-)
  • vryanz
    vryanz Posts: 49
    Options
    It's all about knowing your own body. Some people lose at 2000, some don't lose unless they are under 1200. I say, know your body. Find that place where you can lose, but feel good. And by 'good' I don't mean not hungry. Face it, if you are losing weight, you are GOING TO feel hungry. Your body does not like to lose! But keep it to where you don't feel like you are starving or want to jump someone for their food. :)
    My body is happy at 1200. I can lose at a good pace, not feel too hungry, and if I go a few days and feel I need a break, I have a day of higher calories. The higher cal day actually keeps my loss going. I am sure though, to get right back on my 1200 the next day, and not fall back into bad habits. I keep myself motivated by weighing daily and logging my weight and cals each day on a calender. That way I can look back and keep myself accountable.
    Do what works for you and keeps you safe and healthy!
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    I have an extremely sedentary lifestyle, and only have time to really exercise maybe three or four times a week. I sometimes find it difficult to even reach 1200 and have to add an extra snack. And I'm not too restrained, I eat things like lasagna, pizza, etc. I just watch my portions and home-cook things in healthier ways. It can be done. And I'm not losing weight very fast either, it is at a very healthy pace. When I eat over 1200 my weight loss comes to a total stand-still. Everybody's bodies are different though.
  • HighHeel
    Options
    At first it was hard to do because I didn't realize how many calories I was putting in my mouth a day. It was amazing to me to find that I can eat healthy and feel full. I've been trying biggest loser recipies and found alot of them to be very very filling. I am on my feet all day moving but not getting to the point where I am burning calories doing it. I've made the change in my house to buy only good food. No more chips, cookies, muffins, things of that nature, cause if they're here I will eat them...sad but true. We have alot more fresh fruit and yogourt and always make sure to keep cold water in the fridge. My biggest struggle thus far is POP....i could live on it and have a few bottles (591ml) a day. I know once I kick that habit I'll do better. So when I feel hungry or need a snack I can stya in my 1200 calorie alotment by picking healthy, low calorie alternatives. At first I thought on such a fixed income as I have working that I couldn't afford to eat healthy...well once I stopped buying all the crap I had money for fruits, veggies and ground turkey instead of beef. So it can be done! Good luck everyone!
  • Joellefitz90
    Options
    Mine are set to 1400, but I actually try to have between 700-900 net calories. With at least 400 still remaining. I know its not good, and a lot if the time I'm hungry. But I need to lost weight big time, and this method seems to be working for me. I startes out 15 days ago.weighing 191, today the scale said 182.0 :)! I'm only 5'3.
  • kbiggers11
    Options
    My calorie count is set on 1210 calories per day and I have found that amount to be completely satisfying. In fact, I usually do not consume them all but rather have difficulty keeping my other components such as fat and carbs in check. I snack twice a day on fruit on whole wheat choice and peanut butter. And I eat 3-4 servings of vegetables and fruit per day, which are low in fat content, carb content, and so on. Also I have begun substituting one meal, usually lunch with a protein bar (this helps keep my daily calorie intake in check). I recommend CLIF builders bars (or LUNA bars, they are from the same company but are targeted for women and are lower in calories, fat, carbs, and so on. The Smores and Cookies and Cream are so yummy! And these are great if you are trying to dedicate yourself to workout because they are packed with around 20 grams of protein!

I have been on my fitness pal for a while, my account was accidentally deleted and I had to create a new one this week, but before my calorie count was also 1200 or 1210 calories per day. I hope this helps!:happy:
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Me! And it has not been a problem for me as of yet. I sometimes even find it hard to eat all of them. But, I do my best! My husband talks about how much food I eat. He doesn't know how I eat it all and still stay at 1200. It is just the food choices that I make.

I do not feel deprived and I am never hungry. I am getting a balanced diet.

Every body is different. And you have to choose what is right for you. This works for me.
  • rubyrider
    rubyrider Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are smart with what you eat, you should not have to skip a meal at 1200 calories. I have been on 1200 calories for a while (I did this last year and lost 30lbs, but gained a little back the past 2 months, so I'm tracking again). I am stingy with my calories during the day as I know that my dinners are usualy the highest calories. I have 1 egg and 2 pieces of light bread in the morning. The protein and carbs carry me through until mid-morning. I have a veggie snack (1 cup of celery is like 30 calories) Sometimes, I use a 1/2 serving of hummus with it (another 30 calories). Lunch is a salad - spinach and red romaine, olives, sometimes last night's meat leftovers, carrots, etc. I use a light dressing (I don't like a lot of dressing so that helps :) ). In the mid-afternoon I have another veggies snack or a yogurt. Dinner I try to have a protien (chicken or meat or something) with veggies. I sometimes have enough left for a beer or some popcorn :)

When I am riding my bike (a normal ride for me can burn >1000 calories), I have to up the carb intake or I can barely make it through a ride, and the next day is miserable.

Hope that helps. Mostly, listen to your body. If you need more, then do it. Just make smart choices about it.