I almost ate pizza!!! :(

Options

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Why not eat one slice plus a side salad? Losing weight doesn't have to be about deprivation.

I agree. If you deprive yourself then you are less likely to keep it up. As the old saying goes "a little of what you fancy does you good".

I agree with you both. Maybe you could designate a day that you do get to eat pizza like saturdays every other week or something. Or you could have accepted the slice and patted the cheese down with a piece (or several pieces) of napkins to soak up some of the oil, or you could have asked the pizza guy to split the pizza in half or into baby pieces so you could have some and share the rest with your boyfriend or share it with a bird outside hehe. But in the end, I'm glad you felt strong in your determination in eating healthier and that it was a victory for you to be able to say no to the slice of pizza.

Why in the world, on a website that is supposed to encourage people in their efforts at weight loss and fitness, would so many people tell this woman that saying no to something that she has determined is not good for her at this point, is not the way to go. She never said she was giving it up for life, didn't say no one else should eat it. Simply said that she is trying to stay off cheese, bread and pasta. Some people give up things for a certain amount of time just to break a plateau or even an addiction. Sometimes just having one small slice can lead to a major crash. It is up to HER if she wants to give up cheese, bread and pasta for however long because she knows what's going on with her body and her mind. Good lord people! What makes you all such experts?
    OP, congrats on your willpower. Believe in yourself and trust your instincts. And unless a poster has some sort of degree or letters after their name, they don't know any more than you do.

because when people try cutting a food 100% out of their lives, they usually end up going off the deep end after a while.

There is nothing wrong with having pizza or cookies or soda or whatever other garbage you may want every once in a while. I know some people are pretty gung-ho about clean eating and thats fine, but to act like having a couple slices of pizza is the devil and will ruin weight loss is absurd.

i had pizza for lunch and i'm about to have pizza for dinner...NOM NOM NOM.

This!! I have struggled with weight for a long time, and yo yo'ed a fair bit.. I tried diet after diet, labelling this food bad or that food bad. Then I'd give up and binge, or I'd deprive and binge and it started to hinder my weight loss attempts.. It wasn't until I gave up DIETING and started just changing my eating habits.. I don't deprive myself of things I want, I just factor them into my calorie target and make sure I am eating food which is high in nutrition.. Trust me, I've been at this a while, and deciding you won't eat this or that does not help. Eating in a caloric surplus is what makes you gain weight, not eating a slice of pizza.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza at least once a week, had it twice this week, and I've still lost almost 40 lbs. Have pizza every once in a while. If you deprive yourself you won't stick with it.
  • cotp4
    cotp4 Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree you could loose a lot of weight and dump the boyfriend for tempting you into the pizza!! Just joking. Your doing great, but I agree it's about a lifestyle change, but a little of the bad stuff is ok now and again
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Good job for not eating the pizza....

but if it's something you love... why don't you seek out healthy alternatives?

What about: Portobello mushrooms, flatout wraps, english muffins, or cauliflower crust?
    or maybe just do a thin crust with light cheese and extra veggies (that's what I usually do and it's delicious!) - little over 200 calories per slice
  • EmIsabel
    EmIsabel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We all admire your willpower!!! Your jeans will thank you when they seamlessly glide on tomorrow morning and you will be so much happier than the pizza would have made you!! :)

Yep yep yep! :)
    The balanced meals i'm eating right now give me so much live and energy. Though those guilty pleasures were right infront of my nose and I wanted them i know my stomach would not have appreciated it and i would most definetly have regretted it..

for next time i'll let him have normal pizza because i know that makes him happy and i'll make my healthy alternative whether it just be a thin crust with loads of veggies and little amount of cheese or a portabello pizza like the delicious one that was displayed earlier on. I know i'll be happy and my tummy will thank me.

Its not all about losing weight for me.. i really don't have that much to lose i just want to fuel myself with what i know is good for me and will make me an overall happy person at the end of the day, each and everyday for the rest of my life. :D
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Great big kudos to you on not eating it!! You can do a healthier version at home though. I do a whole wheat home made crust, brush on olive oil, tomatoes, mushrooms and small amount of fresh mozzarella or feta. It's delicious! You can also do a pita pocket lightly brush on some bbq sauce, baked chicken and again light mozzarella.
  • TracyP111
    Options
    One day, I had two options for lunch: two leftover slices of pepperoni pizza, or make a deli-meat turkey on whole grain sandwich. Anyone would think the turkey sammy would be a better choice, right?

I plugged both into my food diary. Both were around 400 calories, but the pizza had higher protein, lower carbs and lower sodium. Higher fat, sure, but fat doesn't make you fat and I'm often well below my fat goal in the food diary anyway.

Pizza =/= evil.

Exactly! It's all about balance. Calories in/calories out. That's the ultimate goal. For me it's about moderation. I'm fat because of my portion sizes. If I try to diet, I fail every time. If I have the foods I enjoy, just in moderation and being honest about the calories I take in, I have more success. In the long run the only thing that keeps me from staying with a plan is I get lazy about keeping track. That's why I started MFP....makes it easier. (I have the iPhone app.)

Ultimately though, whatever works best for you is the right way to go.
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    mmm pizza...............
  • miss_lizz
    miss_lizz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    my fiance tryed to get me to get wings and pizza for the giants game! SOOO GLAD I DIDNT, WILLPOWER lol
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    personally my cravings have gone down heaps since cutting back on bread , also found protein is a savior to craving carbs, it fills you up & cravings go down

Also reducing my sugar intake and cravings go down too :wink:

Anyway you rock cause YOU chose what you ate , you didn't let anyone else tell you what to do, and making healthy changes is a long term thing. Go for it ! get advice you need but ultimately you will know what is good for your body and what feels best for you.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    One piece won't kill you ... and I totally LOVE pizza ! I do get my fix ... every now and then ! Besides, the average cheese slice is only between 300 - 400 calories, just eat one piece and add some veggies ... if feeling guilty .. go for a walk, but by all means ... ENJOY a slice ! :wink:
  • Stephy040
    Stephy040 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why not eat one slice plus a side salad? Losing weight doesn't have to be about deprivation.

I agree. If you deprive yourself then you are less likely to keep it up. As the old saying goes "a little of what you fancy does you good".

I totally agree don't deprive yourself of the foods you love. You'll only go back to them with a vengeance. The key is to limit them. Have a huge salad with a vinegar dressing (low calorie/low or no fat) and one slice of pizza. You can make it a hand tossed or crispy crust and make it better. Also make half the pizza a veggie or lower fat meat.

You're doing great. Good luck.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Pizza is my favorite food, and I know how hard it is to say no to it...especially when its right in front of you!! Lol
    and didn't it mke you feel so good when you turned it down and ate a healthier thing!??!! If u would have ate it, you would have probobly been upset with yourself. (At least I know I would have in that situation).

I applaude your dedication!!
    Keep up the amazing work!!

♥melissa
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Is that clean or dirty? I can't tell...

It makes me feel dirty....in a good way. HA =)

Really though, if you want pizza and don't have the calories left for an indulgence....why not make a portabello pizza?

http://happygoodtime.com/2012/01/06/portobello-pizza-skinny-carb-craving-killer/

portabellopizza_5.jpg?w=584&h=389

Or if you want the real deal....try it on a wheat pita instead.

http://happygoodtime.com/2011/10/27/guilt-free-pita-pizza-with-mushrooms-spinach-and-goat-cheese/

MMMM gluten free pizza!!! SCORE!

Seriously, if I deprive myself I end up binging, badly. Not everything has to be an all or nothing. That's how bad habits are made.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    But seriously...if someone has an issue with controlling how much food they're shoveling in at one sitting, then they have a bigger problem than a slice of pizza. Sounds like an addictive personality to me, and perhaps the OP should seek out professional help rather than the advice of "armchair nutritionists."

Just my two cents...

You cannot be serious with that comment. Puhlease, tell me you're joking.:noway:
  • EmIsabel
    Options
    my fiance tryed to get me to get wings and pizza for the giants game! SOOO GLAD I DIDNT, WILLPOWER lol

My boyfriend loves wings and i'll go with him so he can get wings sometimes. Its a lot easier on you when you know you're going to have those kinds of food in front of you you can plan to eat something else hours before hand so you don't feel the craving for it.
  • EmIsabel
    Options
    But seriously...if someone has an issue with controlling how much food they're shoveling in at one sitting, then they have a bigger problem than a slice of pizza. Sounds like an addictive personality to me, and perhaps the OP should seek out professional help rather than the advice of "armchair nutritionists."

Just my two cents...

You cannot be serious with that comment. Puhlease, tell me you're joking.:noway:

Yeah. No kidding!!!. oh well everyone has their own "two cents" like he or she said.
  • EmIsabel
    Options
    Great job!! Pizza is my favorite food, and I know how hard it is to say no to it...especially when its right in front of you!! Lol
    and didn't it mke you feel so good when you turned it down and ate a healthier thing!??!! If u would have ate it, you would have probobly been upset with yourself. (At least I know I would have in that situation).

I applaude your dedication!!
    Keep up the amazing work!!

♥melissa

Thank you!
    I did feel great and I didn't feel bloated or have indigestion after!! :D:happy:
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    uh oh! i had TWO slices of thin crust cheese pizza from pizza hut on friday, weighed in on saturday 2 pounds down.

for shame on me. lol
  • mrsbell2012
    Options
    good for you but i don't think there is anything wrong with eating what you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal.