5yr old used Wii to lose weight

Options

Replies

• sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    That's great. The differences we can make in our children's lives by simply changing OUR routine is amazing. And the best part, they're having fun with it as well.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Good to see you can just focus on getting the kids more active and have a massive impact... Without putting them on a diet at 5! No complex, still maintain their innocence and she's learning what a healthy lifestyle is. Fab I say! X
  • starshine420
    Options
    Have you checked out www.wiifitroutine.com?? It's great- It makes "workout plans" customized to you using the wii fit. (and it's free) I love it!

Ooo, I must check that out!
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Great inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    She's beautiful in both pictures, but definitely healthier in the second! Good job, mommy!
  • Jenu1
    Jenu1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So inspirational! Thanks! I have been wanting one for myself. I also have a little girl who was born a little larger and has always been a little bigger for her size. She is also a teeny lazy when it comes to activity. I think this would help her alot! Thanks!
  • kmquirin
    Options
    She was never told she was overwieight, I just stopped buying sugary snacks like dunkaroos and gushers and she plays dance games on wii, i would never lower her self esteem at such a young ago by making her feel big.

Our public health nurse suggested a referral to the nutritionist because of her BMI but instead of taking her there i took matters into my own hands, she eats anything we eat, yes cake, mcdonalds whatever, but clearly its in moderation and the excercise makes all the difference in the world,.

I was so scared about bullying when she started kindergarten this year because kids are so cruel, but im so thankful theres nothing to worry about anymore!

IF A 5 YEAR OLD CAN DO IT, WE ALL CAN DO IT! :)

I have a very TALL for her age 3 yr old. She's not overweight, and in fact she's grown 4 inches this year and not gained a lb. Her father and I, however, have been struggling to get back to healthy weights for 2 years.

My daughter recently took an interest in playing the Wii, and she LOVES the dancing games available (we have Nick Jr Dance, Just Dance Kids 1 & 2, and I have a Smurf Dance Party game she is currently earning as a surprise). When she wants to sit and play racing games or Mario Party, she knows that she should throw some dancing in there with it to "get some exercise" get her "energies out" (her words, not mine). She gets excited to go "run" in the playroom at our gym.

I think encouraging physical activity and healthy diets in small children is a great thing. As a parent, you're not teaching them to be self-conscious, you are teaching them tools to live healthy lives. My child LOVES just about every fruit and vegetable imaginable, and asks for cheese and yogurt as snacks. Her "splurge" is a few mini marshmallows a day, and that diet is all her choice at age 3.

Kudos to showing parents an example of teaching your child to be healthy!
  • sbaker72
    sbaker72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for Sharing!! Glad to hear that she is on track for a healthier life style.
  • eashelton53
    eashelton53 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    See even kids get it. I know she must have been determined. That's great just because they are kids don't mean they have to live life unhappy. I know how mean kids can be to an over weight kid. That shows that she is a hard worker. Her drive to lose the weight at 5 using the Wii will be the same drive and effort she puts into life. You are raising a successful kid. Great job Mom.
  • Jane92394
    Options
    Your daughter's progress is really inspiring. I think you are a great mom and it seems like you just encouraged her to be more active in a fun way. I'm more motivated to stick to my goals after hearing about your little girl's sucess.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    This is great! I think as a parent you deserve a big pat on the back for getting her an activity that she can have fun doing. I know as a child I hated riding bikes and would rather do things like dancing so I think it is fantastic that you are encouraging her! Very well done.
  • cassuccino
    cassuccino Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    AlenaKelly - Wow!! She's very inspirational!! She looks great!!! =)
  • twilightsm
    Options
    Awww.. she's such a cutie!!
  • deeR504
    deeR504 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is really great. My son is overweight as well and his doctor also suggested a nationalist and I instead put him in Karate hoping that this will get him fit. I wish there were games that were geared towards boys that were active. My daughters and I do Zumba, and play the dance games but he refuses to participate because they are for girls
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    What a great story...and its lucky for you that it never had to escalate to a point where she was teased or anyone had to 'talk to her' about her eating habits!!
  • denisey94
    denisey94 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is great! She is so cute. Gotta love the wii. :)
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I wouldn't hype this up by posting before and after pics and stuff like that. Chics have enough stigma attached to their weight. And at 5?

i doubt shes showing her daughter it like shes a diet ad or anything.. i think she looks fabulous!! good work !
    Not like she's an ad or anything, I'm saying little girl gets on the PC and sees her pic (I wouldn't post my child on the internet, but again, I'm not a parent) and she's all freaked out about getting "fat" again.

If she wants a twinkee or pizza she should have one. She will have enough time to be concerned about her weight once she hits like 12.

That's all I'm saying.

How would she see herself online? Even if she got older and googled herself, her name is in no way attached to the post.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the comments, but my daughter will be 5 soon and recently asked for a video game system, I said NO unless it was a Wii and then we could do dance games together.

I think your daughter looks much healthier and adorable!!

Sounds like you're doing it the way I am with my daughter. Showing them & giving them healthier food options and encouraging activity so that hopefully they won't have to struggle like we have had to.

Wonderful post!!
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    wow. AMAZING!!
  • victoriaftw
    Options
    wow, that is wonderful! such a young inspiration :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!