Question to all the girls - guys in the gym

Options

Replies

• godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Breathing is important (I'm related to Captain Obvious) when it comes to exercise so I don't know, doesn't even bug me at all if a guy or girl is lifting weights and letting out a few sounds. As long as the person doesn't sound like they're giving birth then it's cool. Plus most people at my gym have their iPods on anyway. Do what you gotta do!
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    Hey this has been bugging me for a while recently...

Whats the female opinion on guys making some sort of noise whilst they weight train in the gym? Im not talking about screaming at the top of your lungs like conan the barbarian but what if you are exhaling a bit louder than usual to get those reps out?

Do you think that guys like this are complete egotistical *kitten* or is a little bit of noise ok within reason?

I try to keep it down in the gym. Probably to the extent of actually affecting my lifts. The gym is a public place after all...

I would really like to get this cleared up :

I think if someone breathes heavy its understandable, I make a little noise, I cant breathe out my nose (accident from my rugby playing days lol) there are some dudes that go abit over the top though when there is no need, when a musclebound 230+pound guy is screaming loud because he has 20kg weights you just know he wants people to look, I think its different for each individual though
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i rowed competitively - gigs - and all the girls would let out grunts and what not to help us get to the finish line. it helps.
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think small grunts and groans it totally okay, but that goes for all people, even girls. I make noises myself when doing the last repetitions of a heavy set, but I think about the others too, I can't sound like I would if I had my own gym in my basement :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

What's be doing to the calf machine? :wink:
  • michellelfblm
    Options
    It doesn't bother me usually, but...

One time I was on a machine and a guy starts using the leg press thingy right behind me, within like a 2 meter radius and started making really unnecessary loud noises. It actually creeped me out a bit and I had to get up and leave it was so awkward. Maybe i was being a princess but it just put me right off... lol.

Doesn't matter unless they invade your personal space with it I guess.
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    Grunting when pushing through some hard/last reps is totally normal and not unexpected gym behavior in my opinion- heck I do it, too! No reason to be self-conscious about it. :glasses:

That being said, I do try to keep from being TOO loud and hope that others will be courteous and do the same. There are some guys who yell at my gym during reps who are very obviously attention seeking and that can get annoying, especially since it can be jarring for my own focus. (and well, if I'm standing next to them, it can hurt my ears ;)) So go for it, but it doesn't need to be a battle cry. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it man, do what you gotta do.

I do the same myself sometimes on that last rep.
    Who cares what others think.
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    the only thing i cant stand is when guys throw the dumbells so hard on the floor i can here it over my music ...it scares the crap outta me!!! there excuse it was to heavy -_-
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anyone go over the top screaming and the loudest person I HAVE heard was a girl. But then when I started getting more into it I found that I'm doing the same thing! And I love it!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I don't get the screamers or weight droppers, annoying look at me behaviour! A few grunts and groans is fine though.

I never understood weight droppers. That was until I injured my shoulder. I now understand :tongue:

Right here. Exactly. I thought they were annoying, until I started on heavy dumbbells. Which am I going to do, try to catch it when my arm is failing, or let it drop? Better bet it's going down without my arm.

I make noises while squatting... like a little snake. Just breathing. Sometimes it being verbal breath, makes sure you're actually breathing, like the OP said he'd turn red :-)

Sticking your tongue out....... unacceptable. Please!
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think people do pretty well at being able to tell if somebody is doing it because they are really pushing it, or because they are seeking attention.
  • tracielinn
    tracielinn Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    We have power lifters at my gym that grunt, groan and drop weights. I block them out and focus on my workout, not theirs. Headphones are a blessing in that regard as well.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I can't stand listening to guys grunt and groan. A bit is natural if they are lifting a decent amount of weight but the guys at my gym tend to show off to excess and it's just gross and annoying. It is a bit distracting for others working out around you. Search the post for Gym Idiots, it was a topic from last week and it was really funny :laugh:
  • toddlyons
    toddlyons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is another reason why I prefer to work out at home. I'm either lifting more weight or doing more reps to push my muscles past their comfort zone. I can't help but grunt a little to get to the end of those sets. If I can stay silent from start to finish, clearly I haven't made the workout challenging enough and I'm wasting time.

As for dropping weights after the set: that's just obnoxious. I lower to the floor with the weights in control. If I have to gasp a little to do that, I do. More exercise for me.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    WOW! I guess from reading the responses that is why I hear so much at one gym I attend vs the other gym where they have a sign that specifically says " no loud grunting!!!!!" I don't mind breathing like you said becasue breathing is very important but the loud grunting with every rep and "uuuuuuuh!!!!" I can't deal....the whole time you are training?? REALLY??? I have witnessed it and it is distracting and rude for those of us who are trying to concentrate.
    That is why I use my iPOD and try to drown out all annoying noises!!!! How else is a Princess to get her workout? :)
  • Legalchica
    Options
    HAHAHA this cracks me up. I see (hear) stuff like this ALL the time and it just makes me laugh. I wouldnt say they are attention seekers.. I worked out with a friend of mine in Iraq and he pushed himself pretty hard and he was one of those. I still laughed at him but he couldnt help it when he was doing heavy weights,
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't mind that, what I do mind is when guy stand in front of the weights I need or just sit on the machines between reps so I can't get my turn!!!!!!! scream away :-P
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    OMG-DONT DROP THE WEIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Its natural, ecspecially when training/lifting hard. If it bothers you so much get an ipod so you dont have to hear it