Bread substitute

Options
124»

Replies

• Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat Ezekiel bread. Has 4.8 g of protein and 80 cal per slice. Because it is pretty thick I only eat one slice and it's satisfying.
  • jlstaub
    Options
    Try Sara Lee Delightful. its' only 45 calories a slice, and tastes just like any other bread.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I love FinnCrisp multigrain or original ...they taste like really thin toasted bread and are pretty low cal

also...have you ever tried lettuce wraps...it may sound "lame" but it tastes amazing

http://thaifood.about.com/od/quickeasythairecipes/r/lettucewraps.htm

sample recipe for ya!
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make my sandwiches open-face and just use one slice of bread instead of two. You can add a little extra of the sandwich filling and increase your protein instead of having that second slice of bread.
  • JudyPMorg
    Options
    I use Orowheat Whole Wheat Light bread - 40 cals per slice. It's a nice, dense bread and I really like it. The bread toasts well and works well with egg salad!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Tortillas are high in cals, although they are thinner than bread they are deceiving! Just eat a sandwich if you want, bread is low fat just high carbs so if you stay active you'll be fine and the carbs won't stick around long enough to turn into fat. I hope this helps :-)

There are low calorie HIGH FIBER wraps that are great for you! La Tortilla Factory, and Ole' make great wraps. I make a breakfast burrito each morning with one, and contain 1/2 of your daily fiber!!!!
  • ReggieOwens
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with bread. Plain white bread is a total waste of time but look into ezekiel, or do whole/multigrain sandwich thins. Also get accustomed to doing an open face style. With just the bottom, no top bread. Make the top a couple of romaine or green leaf leaves. The little stuff ads up, but you don't have to not eat bread. However, I do think it's important to try to do away with man made products in general. To be able to see, if for just a little while, what it's like to not intake manmade ish for a while.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I love bread but know it's not good for me, instead of cutting it out completely I eat it sparingly, I also get a low cal wholemeal bread called "Nimble" I think it's UK only though but I'm sure there will be something similar.
  • JennyAnn35
    Options
    At both Costco and Walmart (and other places to I am sure) you can get whole grain bread thins, they are only 100 cal. So with those I can make a small low cal sandwich.
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love sugar-free whole wheat bread. I usually just get the generic Kroger brand. No sugar, only 35-40 calories per slice, and it's usually fortified with calcium, which is a huge bonus. It still tastes great to me, and is light and fluffy, just how bread should be :)
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Italian born and raised. We would eat bread WITH our pasta. I eat half a pita like 2x a week now. It sucks. Treat yourself every now and again, but defiantly avoid when possible.
  • strela32
    Options
    I'm having a hard problem trying not to eat bread, I was raised by it. I was wondering what can I sub bread for. Like sometimes I need a sandwich but I know I'm not suppose to eat bread but I'm hungry.. WHAT TO DO! :O...I was thinking I could sub for corn tortillas instead of bread ? I don't know if someone has good advice please share your thoughts ..THANK YOU MFP Community

This website might help. There is a recipe for pizza dough and a recipe for bread without any carbs. I never made it, but it seems fairily easy, and there are many blogs, inputs, and help by the members.

www.yourlighterside.com
  • missmadhoney
    Options
    Corn tortillas are a great substitue or try brown rice and steamed veggies.Also, you could try the rice wraps in the ethnic food or freezer isle. I have wheat allergies and am also a vegan, but there are alternative options if you have wheat or dairy allergies. Ener-G bread can be found in most markets in the health food section and is made with rice flour. Otherwis, if you have wheat allergies you could also check out Silly Yak Bakery. They are located in Madison, Wi but offer online orders. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    -Melissa
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bread doesn't HAVE to be cut out completely. If you eat a slice or two of whole wheat bread once in a while it's not going to kill you and it shouldn't inhibit weight loss! I slowly weaned myself off most wheat and have gone from eating wheat-products like pasta, bread, etc for almost every meal to eating them once or twice a week. Some alternatives that I like when I'm craving something carb-y like bread:

- Mini whole wheat pitas

- Tortillas (corn or whole wheat flour)

-Mountain Flatbread Wraps (I'm not sure if this is a canadian product or what, but I get them at Costco)

- Brown Rice Pasta

- Lettuce Wraps (great with tuna or chicken!)

- Protein Pancakes

-Oats

-Quinoa

-Brown Rice

Good luck! I hope you find something you like. :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i use arnold's sandwich thins and bagel thins..i buy the wheat or whole grain ,whatever i can get of them two.. and i get la tortilla factory whole grain,olive oil wraps ..very good nutritional value for a bread....im in the same boat as you ..i love my sandwiches ..i dont eat lunchmeat any more but i put tuna ,chicken, ground turkey breast burgers ect on there
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    Tortillas are high in cals, although they are thinner than bread they are deceiving! Just eat a sandwich if you want, bread is low fat just high carbs so if you stay active you'll be fine and the carbs won't stick around long enough to turn into fat. I hope this helps :-)

There are low calorie HIGH FIBER wraps that are great for you! La Tortilla Factory, and Ole' make great wraps. I make a breakfast burrito each morning with one, and contain 1/2 of your daily fiber!!!!

La Tortilla Factory is the best , nutritional wise, that Ive seen in my neck of the woods
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

La Tortilla Factory is the best , nutritional wise, that Ive seen in my neck of the woods

Ole Xtreme wellness. 12 g fiber, 8 g protein, 71 calories, 220 mg sodium, pure deliciousness. :) I look at sodium. The sodium is a killer! :o I get them at Sam's club, and without them, I'd die...
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with bread again??

I love Ezezkiel 4:9 Whole Sprouted Grain "Bread." You can find it in the frozen section at your local grocery store.. I personally love the low sodium kind, it's delicious when toasted.. other than not being toasted, I cannot eat it lol.
  • ajaxmanatiso
    Options
    All bread is bad for you According to glycemic index whole wheat bread is wrose for you than a candy bar or a can of soda.