at what weight/size is it acceptable to wear a bikini?

Options

Replies

• Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just read all the posts on this topic and can't help thinking how sad it is that so many young women have so little confidence and care so much about what total strangers on a beach might think. I have always worn a bikini even when I was at my largest and am not about to stop now. For the record when I'm in a country where it's permitted I always go topless....it embarrasses the heck out of my teenage sons but if they don't like it they can stay at home next time!!! lol
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I'm not saying this specific thread is hating on skinny girls -- but there have been a few recently. & (in my country at least), it seems to have become socially acceptable to publicly harass smokers.

And, whether people like it or not, what you wear is not just about you. Other people have to look at it.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    None.

The ONLY standard that matters is the mirror test.

Do you look good.
    No, not to your mother...but REALLY!
    Are you hanging out, flabby or any any way less than peak condition?

It's like guys in speedo's spandex and jammmers in public.
    Don't do it unless you pack the goods.

The right answer will make the difference between looking good a drawing the right attention or being laughed at, lampooned and made fun of.

I think I love you.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do what you want, but a "Kick Me" sign would be more appropriate.

Do people enjoy being ridiculed?
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    "She asked for opinions -- I'm giving mine. When did that become a crime? And yes, I am feeling a bit & defensive."

No-one on here is maligning smokers or skinny people. At 5 6 and 125 I probably qualify for skinny myself. tbh, I could have coped with anything but the shudder.

Me too. If it bothers you, look the other way. Personally, I wouldn't choose to wear a bikini until my stomach was relatively toned, regardless of my size, but I'm really glad that the lady described feels confident enough in herself to wear what she wants to on the beach. I wish I had her guts!
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    "She asked for opinions -- I'm giving mine. When did that become a crime? And yes, I am feeling a bit & defensive."

No-one on here is maligning smokers or skinny people. At 5 6 and 125 I probably qualify for skinny myself. tbh, I could have coped with anything but the shudder.

Me too. If it bothers you, look the other way. Personally, I wouldn't choose to wear a bikini until my stomach was relatively toned, regardless of my size, but I'm really glad that the lady described feels confident enough in herself to wear what she wants to on the beach. I wish I had her guts!

You want me to walk around with my eyes closed?
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I used to be one of those persons that thought all bikini wearers should have perfect bodies, but now I agree with the if you feel comfortable enough to wear it, good for you.

That being said, I do agree with a previous respondant- not a thong (no matter how fit) probably best to avoid white (it becomes see through in water or bright sun) and it should fit- if you are a size 4 your would look most likey ridiculous in a size 14 bikini and if you are a size 14, 24 or whatever you probably should not try to squeeze into a size 4, 8 whatever- besides bikinis are made in all sizes

I myself wear a tankini- it is comfortable and more modest than most one pieces as the front is a bit looser and no skin is shown, but most importantly, like a bikini if I need to use the ladies, it is much easier to pull back up than a one piece after I have been swimming
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    None.

The ONLY standard that matters is the mirror test.

Do you look good.
    No, not to your mother...but REALLY!
    Are you hanging out, flabby or any any way less than peak condition?

It's like guys in speedo's spandex and jammmers in public.
    Don't do it unless you pack the goods.

The right answer will make the difference between looking good a drawing the right attention or being laughed at, lampooned and made fun of.

Aw. You're such a breath of fresh air. :-)

As far as a see-through thong bikini .... I don't think even the most perfect supermodel should wear that in public. No one wants to see that.

EDITED FOR CLARITY: "Breath of fresh air" in this case is the equivalent to an American Southern Belle saying, "Bless his heart."
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying this specific thread is hating on skinny girls -- but there have been a few recently. & (in my country at least), it seems to have become socially acceptable to publicly harass smokers.

And, whether people like it or not, what you wear is not just about you. Other people have to look at it.

I'm sorry but I disagree.....what I wear is 100% about me and how I feel.....it's nobody else's business and others only 'have' to look if they choose to!!!
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    whenever they are confident to wear them and comfortable with others looking and judging =D
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want to!
  • DarrellHodge
    Options
    You go out there and forget about what people are thinking and saying. If you feel comfortabe wearin it, then wear it.

Says the man who will not post his photo.....:-)
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    "And, whether people like it or not, what you wear is not just about you. Other people have to look at it."

So, what I wear should bedecided by the opinions of those around me. You should go join, ooh, those dudes in the fancy headgear who live in the country that starts with A. Will that get passed?
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    For me never child number 2 left beautiful stretch marks that will probably never fade added to the ones I am sure I will see when I lose the belly fat. But to those who feel confident more power to you and rock it for those of us who will never wear one again!!
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think any woman who wants to should wear a bikini, regardless of her shape or size. I believe the same for men in speedos! Life's too short to let your concerns about what other people are thinking cloud your enjoyment of good times. I know I know, easier said than done, but honestly I aspire to be the wrinkled old lady wearing a very comfortable but inappropriate bikini on the beach and not giving the least bit of a da*m what anyone things because I'm too busy having fun. :)

Besides, no matter how thin and fit you are, there are bound to be people judging you no matter what. Too skinny, too fat, not enough butt, too much butt, too much hips, not enough hips, not tan enough, too tan.......people are always thinking crap that mostly just reflects on their own insecurities. Whatever, screw 'em.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

You want me to walk around with my eyes closed?

No, I want you not to be one of those people who treat gawking at others who do not match their own specifications for physical beauty or normalcy as a spectator sport and a source of amusement. If you see something you don't like, look the other way - find something that does not induce shudders in you to look at. You may see something, but you don't have to 'look' at it.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the weenie way out and avoiding answering your question as I don't want to incite a riot - but have already seen some replies in line with my own.

However,

I DID want to say to the women with stretch marks from having children -don't hide those Mommy badges of honor - wear them with pride! I have stretch marks on my hips and thighs - and I do wear a bikini - stretch marks, spider veins, and all!
  • JekJekums
    JekJekums Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i've seen every size of lady in a bikini and i think it's awesome. i've always been pretty confident about wearing two pieces, but a few years ago i was working at a financial company and on my lunch break i bough a new two piece with a little water skirt. i thought it was so cute and i whipped it out to show a (much older and much fitter) co-worker. she looked at it, raised an eyebrow while looking me up and down and said "wooooooow...you're braaaaave..."

surprisingly, (while i still think about that incident) it really has had no effect on my bathingsuit-wearing behaviour. shallow people will always say shallow things, but wear what i want!
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the type of "bikini". I do not advocate running around in a string thong bikini while wearing a US size 24, however there are cuts that can work at any size. There are some with shorts that come up nearly as high as the styles from the 50s and go down enough so that no butt cheeks are hanging out that are still classified as a bikini and work just fine.
  • marine_wife0520
    Options
    I don't think it is acceptable to wear bikinis. I'd rather everyone left something to the imagination and practice a bit more modesty. You can look cute in a one piece that holds everything in appropriately.