at what weight/size is it acceptable to wear a bikini?

Options

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think women of all shapes and sizes should be able to wear a bikini!
    I'm not the slimmest of people but I flounce around in a bikini all of the time when I can!

It's about confidence and health, not necessarily weight and size. :)

agreed! though I don't have the confidence (or the body in my opinion) for a bikini yet! ;) working on it!!
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I wore a bikini at one of the hottest beaches in the US: Miami. I'm 5'8 and weigh about 198lbs. I don't have a tight stomach, and not SUPER flat, but I was proud of myself for having lost 50lbs and I'm flaunted what I had! And then I noticed that the people around me, weren't this skinniest of girls either (some bigger than I am) in bikinis ...so it made me feel EVEN better!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty fit size 8 and I won't wear a bikini. I don't think it's a lack of confidence, bikinis just aren't my style. I don't like baring that much skin in public. I really don't care what other people wear.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never said that you have to be in PERFECT shape. If I came off as saying otherwise, then I apologise. But I'm pretty sure I made it clear.

There has to come a point where you say "This isn't flattering, I have gut rolls hanging everywhere".

You did agree with your buddy up there and he DID say that.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I say if you feel comfortable doing it, go for it! Myself, when I weighed 110 and was a size 2,which was about 4 yrs ago, I wasn't toned and still had flabby thighs from losing weight so I didn't feel comfortable wearing one..........
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Women and Men should be able to wear a bikini/ suit..at any size..any shape..and any weight. What others think, should not make a difference. Confidence is sexy, at any weight!!
    At the end if the day....YOU are in charge of YOU!!

If the "others" aren't feeding you..housing you..clothing you..or contributing to your well being in any way........""Talk to the hand!!""
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    rml, I think we have reached the point where we should consider that the poster could be referring to herself and lay off.
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I was a size 10, even then I thought I looked disgusting in a bikini. Now, I've just moved down from an 18 to a 16 and I can't really imagine ever being completely comfortable. I have a friend who is a healthy size 12 though, and last summer we were at the beach and because of her confidence and "I don't give a crap" nature, she appeared to look better in a bikini than the other skinnier girls.

I want to get back down to my size 10/12 and concentrate on toning, and using firming cream and bio oil to flatten my skin and get rid of stretch marks, then I MAY consider a tankini, never a bikini though lol :P
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The heavily overweight girl who wears skimpy clothes a size too small and then bursts out crying when people look obviously cares.

I imagine in this scenario she cares because the people looking are doing more than just looking - sneering, laughing, pointing, making cruel and unneccessary 'jokes' and comments. Haven't you ever felt great about yourself and what you were wearing when you left the house, to be brought down with a bump by someone else's thoughtlessness or criticism? Take that feeling and multiply it by every time you leave the house, and then tell me that sort of behaviour isn't wrong . I've never been out-of-proportion, or extremely overweight, just bigger than the average, and I've been on the receiving end of more than enough of this sort of behaviour. Try to imagine how someone who weighs vastly more than the majority of those around them feels, faced with this sort of criticism and cruelty, both explicit and implied, every day of their lives, and develop some compassion.
  • JceCarolinaGirl
    Options
    I went on a cruise last year, and I saw people of all sizes, shapes, and ages sporting bikinis. I agree with some of the other posters - it's all about confidence and taste!! ;)
  • jeannicoleau
    jeannicoleau Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel comfortable doing so.
  • BabyBubbles31
    Options
    I'll wear one as soon as some of my rolls flatten out ( around 180 for me) then I'll be able to wear a bikini with boy shorts. :)

Yep this is how i feel on this one... got to build that confidence first.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Personally I do not enjoy seeing anyone in a Biniki that is for example size 24 and up with hanging rolls and handing 'girls'. But you see this often in other countries. Equally not too nice to see a guy in a speedo that has everything hanging around either.

I have seem some real awful sights in my travels, and I personally think if you are that large cover it up with a full coverage suit, but that is just my feeling having once been 380lbs.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Everyone who says "whenever you feel comfortable" mustn't have seen a size 26 5'2" woman flaunting a white thing strappy bikini... *shudders*

As long as it covers what needs to be covered & you're comfortable. & you're not bulging out of it cause it's too small.

Be honest guys. Yeah its great to be comfortable with your body and all that but come on. Some people should not be wearing bikinis. I'm just telling you what I honestly believe.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends on your body, the bikini in question, and your level of confidence. I think the people who look best in bikinis are people who are in shape (no big bellies), with nice skin, lots of confidence, and who wear a bikini that suits their body shape (some people look better in halters, others in tiny straps, women with larger breasts need more supportive straps etc.etc.). and that FITS.

However, that doesn't mean that I don't think fat people -shouldn't- wear bikinis - people should wear whatever they like and who am I to tell people how to dress! However, I just don't think it looks good - a shapewear swimsuit is much more flattering for larger women / people with round bellies (and I say this as somebody who goes into a distinct apple shape whenever I gain weight!). Same for guys - a morbidly obese guy in speedos would not look good.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    "She asked for opinions -- I'm giving mine. When did that become a crime? And yes, I am feeling a bit & defensive."

No-one on here is maligning smokers or skinny people. At 5 6 and 125 I probably qualify for skinny myself. tbh, I could have coped with anything but the shudder.

Me too. If it bothers you, look the other way. Personally, I wouldn't choose to wear a bikini until my stomach was relatively toned, regardless of my size, but I'm really glad that the lady described feels confident enough in herself to wear what she wants to on the beach. I wish I had her guts!

You want me to walk around with my eyes closed?

YES!!! And your MOUTH too :-)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm of mixed thought on this one, part of me says, wear whatever you want to, if others don't like it, that's there problem. But I've also been to the beach a few times and seen things I really felt I didn't need to see. Also, looking good in a bikini is not just about size, but also body shape, even when I'm at my thinnest, I'm really lumpy/weird from extra skin--so I look terrible in a bikini, while other people look really good in a bikini, even if they're a larger size.
  • kailysimpson
    Options
    I suppose I'm just with MaximaLife, I don't understand how they can walk around like that and then wonder why people laugh & make fun of them.

I wore one at a 16 last year..... I have bits of me that are not in ideal shape. I never once had someone point or laugh at me. And I go to the beach at a major college destination. If people didnt like it, they sure as hell didnt make me know that they didn't. And honestly, if they did, I would see that as THEIR flaw, not mine. If they cannot manage to avoid making fun of someone who is enjoying a day at the beach and is not a swimsuit model, then they are seriously lacking character. I am not going to change who I am just because some @$$holes think I should wear a different bathing suit.

I never said that you have to be in PERFECT shape. If I came off as saying otherwise, then I apologise. But I'm pretty sure I made it clear.

There has to come a point where you say "This isn't flattering, I have gut rolls hanging everywhere".
    My Ma used to tell me "Just because it comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it!"

I love this.

I read this whole post and your responses are disconcerting for several reasons. First of all, who are you to be so judgmental of others? Surely you are not perfect or you would not be a part of a community for the purpose of bettering oneself. Furthermore, you are using fleeting generalizations about overweight people to make a point - how in the world could you possible know that an overweight girl in a bikini was crying because you were ignorant enough to make fun of her? My guess is that she frankly did not care what you thought, or what anyone else thought. Saying things like "I could not get around her" is just absurd and hugely ignorant. All you have really done here is make yourself look like a giant fool with zero tolerance for the human condition. At what point did we, as women, decide that it was okay to destroy each other like this? It is a difficult task to navigate the world as a woman in general, but to be an overweight woman in a society that places such great importance on physical appearance, it is impossible. Certainly being obese is not an acceptable thing - for HEALTH reasons - but rather than having empathy for the unfortunate circumstances of another human being, you are choosing to perpetuate the hate and intolerance that contributes to those circumstances to begin with. The first step to making positive change in life in general is acceptance of that which already is - what if that overweight girl in the bikini who offended you so much was a truly wonderful person? What if she volunteered in her community, and helped others, and loved, and cared for others and had a true struggle with her weight because of difficult emotional issues? You would never know because you are so busy judging her by her outward appearance. This is the reason that bullying is so rampant these days, why young girls struggle with eating disorders, why teenagers are killing themselves... because of an attitude that somehow we are so fantastic that we can stand on a pedestal and point down to others and ridicule them and berate them for their differences. You are the problem, not the solution. If you are so bothered by the outward appearances of others, then maybe it would behoove you choose to stay indoors, for subjecting yourself to the imperfections of others is obviously a point of contention for YOURSELF.

Having said that, I am glad to read all of the positive posts b so many of the other women! But to answer the question at hand - as long as it is acceptable for a man to walk around shirtless no matter how soft and hairy he is, it is acceptable for a woman at any size and shape to rock the bikini. I'm not a fan of double standards. It's all about confidence! Trust me, men are more attracted to your confidence than how flat or soft your belly is :) Don't live your life in fear! Don't let fear control your life. Fearing what others think is the #1 thing that controls our lives - let that fear go and LIVE and you will be a LOT happier :)
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was not at goal, but I bought one anyways and I wore it proudly to the pool multiple times! Lucky for me, my boyfriend loves all my curves. He's happy I want to get healthy, but never because of the "lovely lady lumps". My booty is what hooked him in the first place.

I was also a 16/18 while wearing this two piece. Now, I have this awesome monokini with pieces cut out. It's super sexy! Power to the girls with the confidence!!!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I've seen some women who are not thin that look great in bikinis and others that are thin that don't.

Some bigger, more curvy women look great in bikinis.