at what weight/size is it acceptable to wear a bikini?

Options

Replies

• NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I was not at goal, but I bought one anyways and I wore it proudly to the pool multiple times! Lucky for me, my boyfriend loves all my curves. He's happy I want to get healthy, but never because of the "lovely lady lumps". My booty is what hooked him in the first place.

I was also a 16/18 while wearing this two piece. Now, I have this awesome monokini with pieces cut out. It's super sexy! Power to the girls with the confidence!!!!

I love this!!! :-))
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    CONFIDENCE. any body can be beautiful if the "wearer" of the body thinks so. i could wear a bikini today and if i had the rockstar confidence i'm talking about, i'd have guys (and gals!) fawning over me. problem is, i'm not mentally ready to show off what my mama (and papa!) and the sweet lordy above gave me. plus, i can't help but be swayed a bit by what society's notions of beauty are (at least in the U.S.) and those fitness models look sexy! i wanna look like them. i don't want to be a runway model. those *****es are stick thin.
  • Amy271189
    Options
    I suppose I'm just with MaximaLife, I don't understand how they can walk around like that and then wonder why people laugh & make fun of them.

Only disrespectful people such as your self will laugh and make fun of them!!!! I understand that will all have different opinions of what "we should or shouldn't wear" but that person isn't dressing to IMPRESS YOU!!!!! If they are confident in their own body than why not dress the way they want, not the way You or others think is appropriate. Nobody knows wheteher or not they have a medical condtion which makes them larger then whats considered to be normal.. Don't judge people. If you dont like JOG ON!!..

I don't mean to be nasty, it just really annoys me how some people judge people on the way they look or dress, not about the person they are inside.
    RANT OVER!!!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm just with MaximaLife, I don't understand how they can walk around like that and then wonder why people laugh & make fun of them.

I wore one at a 16 last year..... I have bits of me that are not in ideal shape. I never once had someone point or laugh at me. And I go to the beach at a major college destination. If people didnt like it, they sure as hell didnt make me know that they didn't. And honestly, if they did, I would see that as THEIR flaw, not mine. If they cannot manage to avoid making fun of someone who is enjoying a day at the beach and is not a swimsuit model, then they are seriously lacking character. I am not going to change who I am just because some @$$holes think I should wear a different bathing suit.

I never said that you have to be in PERFECT shape. If I came off as saying otherwise, then I apologise. But I'm pretty sure I made it clear.

There has to come a point where you say "This isn't flattering, I have gut rolls hanging everywhere".
    My Ma used to tell me "Just because it comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it!"

I love this.

and I have the roll on my hips and back. I dont care if you or anyone else thinks it is flattering. If I am comfortable, that is all that truly matters. And to be that judgemental, to even waste the mental energy on belittling someone else because of something that really doesnt affect you in any way, is not flattering either. I would much rather be in a bikini with "gut rolls hanging everywhere" than be a small minded jerk who thinks that other peoples clothing options are somehow any of MY business. You dont know that the girl in the "offensive" bikini hasnt recently lost 65 lbs and is extremely proud of her new body. You dont know that the girl with the "fat rolls" hasnt worked her *kitten* off to get to where she is. My Ma used to tell me "If you can't say something nice, dont say anything at all", It is also a wonderful quote. You should look into that.
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 4-6 and could never fathom wearing a bikini due to confidence issues.
    I think everybody, size 40+ should wear a bikini if that's what they want to do and they feel good about themselves in it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with somebody having confidence in themselves and wearing an outfit with pride, is there?
  • mo_is_here
    Options
    If you're ok wearing it then I'm ok with you wearing it.

Me personally, I just dont feel comfortable wearing one unless I'm in my own backyard where only my family can see me. But that's just me and my insecurities about my body.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    there is no magic formula for size & weight.

Some women shun wearing a bikini even though they'd look great in one.

Others will wear one when they have no business at all doing so.

I think a BIG mistake women of any size can make is choosing the wrong style/size bikini and making themselves look very unflattering, when a different stye/size could make them look great.

I definitely agree with this. I have seen some girls who I thought were bigger with their clothes on take their clothes off and rock a bikini. I personally believe that if you have a bigger stomach or a lot of rolls, you should probably try and find a different swimsuit. I'm not saying you have to wear a wetsuit or a swimdress, but there are soooo many cute one-pieces and tankinis and I don't understand why people immediately jump to wear a bikini. That's just my feelings on it though. I wouldn't say that I'm judgmental of anybody wearing one, but I often wonder if a one piece/tankini wouldn't look better.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I wore bikinis even at my heaviest. I'd like to look *better* in one, but I never really thought about it much. Kind of a "this is my body, so be it" attitude my whole life...and now it's modified to "this is my body, but i can always improve"
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see so many people say that whatever works for the wearer is good.
    I am a very heavy woman. (Though 30 pounds less than I was four months ago, and hopefully at least 50 pounds lighter by late June!) No I don't wear a bikini, but most people my size are afraid of wearing a swimsuit at all and resist going to pools. I LOVE the water, and hey, moving in the pool (swimming, aerobics, sneaking up on my husband and SPLASHING him good) is exercise. Why should I deprive myself of exercise I enjoy because I don't look good in a swimsuit. I'm not particularly hawt in a parka either!
    I even have a two piece that looks like a one piece. The top is long and passes the pant portion. I love those because it is so easy to go to the washroom and come back to the pool!
  • nikki1anna
    Options
    Oh I am wearing a bikini when I reach my goal weight (I have a large frame, so I'll be a size 6 then). If people have a problem with my stretch marks, then I don't care. Confidence is beautiful!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I think it should be acceptable for anyone to wear whatever they like. Shouldn't only be skinny people. I've just started wearing a bikini for the first time - I'm 5'2, 138lbs and a UK size 12-14 (kind of in between atm). I am quite self-conscious but working on not being cos why should I care what others think?
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    At whatever damn weight/size you freakin' feel like it, honey!

:drinker:
  • amezeez
    amezeez Posts: 26
    Options
    Surely It's acceptable to wear one whenever you feel comfortable wearing one?

Absolutely agree!! Your life, your choice! : ]
  • Amy271189
    Options
    I'm so happy to see so many people say that whatever works for the wearer is good.
    I am a very heavy woman. (Though 30 pounds less than I was four months ago, and hopefully at least 50 pounds lighter by late June!) No I don't wear a bikini, but most people my size are afraid of wearing a swimsuit at all and resist going to pools. I LOVE the water, and hey, moving in the pool (swimming, aerobics, sneaking up on my husband and SPLASHING him good) is exercise. Why should I deprive myself of exercise I enjoy because I don't look good in a swimsuit. I'm not particularly hawt in a parka either!
    I even have a two piece that looks like a one piece. The top is long and passes the pant portion. I love those because it is so easy to go to the washroom and come back to the pool!

I really like you comments Hunny. Congratulations on the 30Ibs loss =) x
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    At whatever damn weight/size you freakin' feel like it, honey!

:drinker:

I would have to go with this!! I say whenever you are comfortable wear one! As for me I don't have the confidence to rock one:embarassed:
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Love this.
  • EReeves2
    EReeves2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ok, my answer may not be a popular one, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

First of all, I LOVE that so many of you are confident & comfortable wearing a bikini with less than your typical "bikini body". I think confidence is sexy and brings out the very prettiest part of everyone! It is something I strive for in my pursuit of health & well-being, but I'm not quite "there" yet. For those of you who are, way to rock that body that you're working so hard to improve & make healthier!

That being said, I think there are boundaries/limits/norms/whatever you want to call them that I, being a "big girl", would not cross no matter how confident I am. And I think society would thank me. Whether we like to admit it or not, it does matter what other people think. (i.e. You wouldn't go to a job interview in a bikini & roller skates and truly believe that the potential boss will hire you, even if you're well qualified and suited for the job. You would wear something suitable for the interview to impress the boss, right?)

Personally, I will not be cramming my chunky self into a halter top & daisy duke shorts during the summer, no matter how hot it gets in Texas. I will not put on a tight mini skirt and a bikini top for dinner out with my husband. It just isn't pretty. Even if I feel confident wearing it, I really don't want people staring at me because I stand out in the crowd for negative reasons. I can dress in a way that is still sexy/pretty without trying to look like a Barbie doll when I am not yet to that point in my weight loss/fitness goals. Just being realistic, folks....
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

That being said, I think there are boundaries/limits/norms/whatever you want to call them that I, being a "big girl", would not cross no matter how confident I am. And I think society would thank me. Whether we like to admit it or not, it does matter what other people think. (i.e. You wouldn't go to a job interview in a bikini & roller skates and truly believe that the potential boss will hire you, even if you're well qualified and suited for the job. You would wear something suitable for the interview to impress the boss, right?)

Personally, I will not be cramming my chunky self into a halter top & daisy duke shorts during the summer, no matter how hot it gets in Texas. I will not put on a tight mini skirt and a bikini top for dinner out with my husband. It just isn't pretty. Even if I feel confident wearing it, I really don't want people staring at me because I stand out in the crowd for negative reasons. I can dress in a way that is still sexy/pretty without trying to look like a Barbie doll when I am not yet to that point in my weight loss/fitness goals. Just being realistic, folks....

Your comparison has one major flaw, you are talking about what is appropriate dress for certain situations. Bikinis are appropriate dress for the beach, pool, laying out, whatever.

Also, if you read the previous comments, many say, you can wear whatever you like as long as it actually fits you. No 300 lb person should be shoving themselves into a size 6, they can wear that same outfit in their size and look amazing.

I cannot believe how judgemental so many of you are, especially when I'm sure you have been at the receiving end of ridicule at least once in your life, I know I have. Show some love for your fellow people.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    They make bikinis in all sizes. If you feel comfortable in one, rock it out.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My Ma used to tell me "Just because it comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it!"

My Mom also used to say this all the time when I was a skinny young thing and she would act disgusted and judgy at the people at the pool who were rocking it. I never thought about it until I put on 45lbs and started dressing like a hobo because I was so afraid to show any lump of fat. Now I'm down to 147lbs and at 5'8" I know objectively that I'm actually looking quite good but I put on my bikini and I feel disgusting because I'm not perfect.

My point is don't listen to people who say things like that. It will mess up your head down the line. Do whatever the heck makes you comfortable! :flowerforyou: