Do you have a desk job?

Options
I need some ideas on how to burn some calories while at my 9-5 desk job. What kind of stuff do you do?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have two desk jobs, and no time to work out during the time I'm actually working, so I walk to commute and I cycle once the day is over.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    You're so lucky to live close to work...I'm about 40min. away driving so cycling and walking are not an option for me =(
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, but unfortunately not a 9-5, so I do different days and shifts every week. I only get a 10 min break per shift so I can't do any exercise during my shift, I just try and do it before or after. It is extremely hard when you're sat down all day!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    you can get these mini exercise bike things, they're just pedals, that you put under your desk

Some people sit on a swiss ball instead of a chair. that's more a core thing than a calorie burning thing, but it helps

take the stairs, go for a walk at lunchtime.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Yep - I moved closer so I could walk. Takes about an hour each way now, and then I go for a cycle late at night once the roads are quiet.

Very lucky in that sense. I used to work, drive home and have to start my exercise separately. Now, most of it is combined in my travel to work so it's not such a chore.
  • Ariana_75
    Options
    you can get these mini exercise bike things, they're just pedals, that you put under your desk

This sounds pretty cool! I've never seen one of these....going to google it =)
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I can't do much while I am working, but I do try to get some activity in every day.

One of the easiest is to walk as much as you can. (no elevator, walk over to people's desk instead of calling them if you can, etc.)

Figure out a route around work that is roughly a 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, or 1 mile.

Walk a mile/half-mile/quarter-mile before you start the day (helps wake you up)
    Walk a mile/half-mile/quarter-mile on each break (keeps you alert all day)
    Walk a mile/half-mile/quarter-mile at lunch (reduces hunger signals for a while, or at least helps lunch settle)
    Walk a mile/half-mile/quarter-mile after work before going home (gives your mind time to wind down and disconnect from work before you have to deal with anything at home)

If you aren't there already, you should be able to get to where you can walk a mile in 15 minutes without too much sweating, so you can get up to 5 miles in during the day this way without scaring people away from your desk. A washcloth/hand towel and some deodorant can help on hot days or if you want to go faster and sweat more so you burn more calories.
  • dukes418
    dukes418 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually take 15 minutes breaks throughout the day and walk around the office. Use the stairs when traveling from floor to floor. We also have a small fitness center in our basement so I bring a gym bag to work as well. If you have an office/privacy, you can do like me (sometime) and knock out some pushups behind closed doors. Nobody even knows I'm down on the floor;-) Believe it or not, the 15 minutes breaks actually help especially when my eyes have glazed over from staring at my PC screen.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    In addition to working out in the gym twice a week, I jog to lunch every day. 5 minutes to Subway and five minutes back. It's not much, but then again, that's kinda why I go to the gym :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I need some ideas on how to burn some calories while at my 9-5 desk job. What kind of stuff do you do?

I sit on my *kitten* the whole day, and when I get home, i work out.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I actually have 2 exercise pedalers for under my desk. It burns about the same as a stationary bike if you take it seriously. I've lost 11+ pounds so far using mine seriously. It is the *only* workout I can do right now, so it must be working! They also make stair steppers and eliptical trainers in mini versions, and many have resistance bands as well.

You can get one as cheap as $25 at Walmart that will fit under standard desks. I recommend measuring your desk height and your legs before getting one so you can know you can pedal while under your desk.

I'm using mine right now :) It takes some getting used to, working and pedaling, but once you get it, it's invaluable! Just be ready to get a little teasing, and invest in WD 40
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I am with you! Desk job, 7-4 weekdays. I live an hour interstate drive away from work, so no walking or biking for me either. I will say those cycles for the feet are cool, they don't make you sweat or have resistance, but do keep things moving. Other than that, I am leashed to a phone or computer the time I am at work.... it's a 1 story building, so no stairs to climb. I usually have to wait until I get home to burn the calories
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after work...
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I converted my desk from a sit-down to a stand-up type. I seem to move around a lot more now because of it. Plus it keeps me from doing the lean-way-back almost lying down thing while on the computer. Then I bought an exercise ball to sit on when I have conferences around the table in my office.

I also take a 2 mile walk on my lunch hour.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/04/13/the-dangers-of-sitting-at-work—and-standing/
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water so I walk to the bathroom a lot.. does that count!?! lol

but really, I try not to sit if I don't have to. if you have a lunch break, try to utilize that - eat, but choose foods that are mobile, like maybe a wrap or a granola bar or a smoothie. take a walk around the parking lot or something.

and I hope my boss never sees this one, buuuuuut - sometimes I do things unefficiently on purpose so I have to walk more. for instance, if I have to bring a paper out back, I'll walk it out... walk back to my desk... then I'll bring the OTHER paper I had to bring out... and repeat. sometimes my coworkers probably think I'm a loser, but if I have no obligations that I'm shirking, it can only help! :)
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I get up at the buttcrack of dawn to get my morning walk on the treadmill in.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I sit on my *kitten* the whole day, and when I get home, i work out.

Hey you are doing that routine too?! I love the part when i get to sit on my bum, and then when i get home i work out.
  • trvlkat1212
    trvlkat1212 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I sit on an exercise ball the whole day, it burns 300-350calories and helps build ab and back strength. I use to have lots of back pain from a car accident but its a lot less now.
  • Ariana_75
    Options
    I actually have 2 exercise pedalers for under my desk. It burns about the same as a stationary bike if you take it seriously. I've lost 11+ pounds so far using mine seriously. It is the *only* workout I can do right now, so it must be working! They also make stair steppers and eliptical trainers in mini versions, and many have resistance bands as well.

You can get one as cheap as $25 at Walmart that will fit under standard desks. I recommend measuring your desk height and your legs before getting one so you can know you can pedal while under your desk.

I'm using mine right now :) It takes some getting used to, working and pedaling, but once you get it, it's invaluable! Just be ready to get a little teasing, and invest in WD 40
    I'm really liking this idea!! Thank you!!
  • k80fox
    k80fox Posts: 92
    Options
    I used to climb the stairs on my lunch break. The downside is that you may get kind of sweaty so you might have to bring a change of clothes. Also, I was never a part of it but there used to be a group of people who would jog 3 miles on their lunch break! I only had half an hour so the stairs were my best friend :) Good luck!