Paula Deen represents everything that is wrong with America

Options

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If it's any consolation, lots of Australian are fat and unhealthy too, and I'm betting most Aussies have never heard of this lady - I hadn't until today! I just googled her and maybe the recipes I saw weren't a good sample - but honestly, I've seen worse.

I agree with the previous poster who says that most of the cooking shows on TV are not to teach you to cook, they are for entertainment value. We often get ideas from TV chefs, but will cook the recipe to our taste (which often means cutting down the amount of things like butter, oil, cream etc) - because we know what we like to eat and what is good for us. I don't have a problem with over the top recipes for occasional treats, but if people choose to cook and eat unhealthy foods all the time - well, that's their problem, not the fault of some TV presenter.
    Anyone remember Two Fat Ladies? NONE of their recipes were healthy and they both died from complications from their obesity.
    They were British.

One died, of lung cancer. The other is still alive.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many diabetic MFP members would say no if they were offered a buttload of cash to do a commercial for a diabetes drug company.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Shocked or whatever? .... because she is now taking money to become a spokesperson for treatment of a devastating disease that is caused by behaviors she's been promoting. Shocked or whatever? .... because she has led people over a cliff for years and now she gets to get paid for what? Shocked or whatever? .... because "moderation" when it comes to her style of cooking is a cynical joke.

Yes yes, its all Paula Deens fault. None of us are capable of thinking for ourselves. Why would we when we can blame every decision we make on someone else. Yes, she is the devil and the first person to ever take money that may contradict her lifestyle.

I have made her recipes before. Some to the "T" , some lightened up. They were all damn good.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree that her food isn't healthy, but it is SO YUMMY :) haha.

I've made Paula Dean recipes on occasion, and yet I didn't die or turn 800 pounds.
    My blood pressure and cholesterol are still fine :)

Just don't eat it all the time!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    but then again, McDonald's did get sued for having hot coffee. . .

this always gets tossed around the internet. Sigh.

Do you know that the McD in that suit had already been warned on three other occasions to turn down the heat setting on their coffeepot? Do you know that the person who won that suit originally asked McD's only to pay for the THIRD DEGREE BURNS that were suffered on her genitals when the almost boiling liquid spilled into her lap? And that it was the jury that decided that the plaintiff deserved not only to have her medical bills paid, but that McD's would have to pay a penalty for knowing there was a hazard and not addressing it? Their penalty (that's what punitive damages are) was equal to one day's coffee sales, corporate wide. So for permanantly disfiguring a woman, through negligence, and then refusing to pay for her medical bills, they lost ONE DAY worth of coffee sales.

Facts.....a beautiful thing.

/rant.

Thank You! I was going to say the same! I get so disgusted when people throw that around without even having ever read the actual court documents or even a cliff note version.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    it's as easy and simple as: be responsible for yourself and for what you put in your body. Blaming a cook on a show, or a coporation who sells a certain type of food isn't going to eliminate all healthy food from the earth. It's common sense. if you know it's bad- either don't eat it, or don't b***.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I think people who sit on unemployment checks for two years are more of a problem to America than Paula Deen.
    :laugh: :laugh:
    true....:flowerforyou:
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Shocked or whatever? .... because she is now taking money to become a spokesperson for treatment of a devastating disease that is caused by behaviors she's been promoting. Shocked or whatever? .... because she has led people over a cliff for years and now she gets to get paid for what? Shocked or whatever? .... because "moderation" when it comes to her style of cooking is a cynical joke.

Yes yes, its all Paula Deens fault. None of us are capable of thinking for ourselves. Why would we when we can blame every decision we make on someone else. Yes, she is the devil and the first person to ever take money that may contradict her lifestyle.

I have made her recipes before. Some to the "T" , some lightened up. They were all damn good.

haha this is my point as well! Yeah, we know when we are cooking it that its bad, and we are going to ENJOY that once in while meal but that doesn't mean we can't watch everything else we eat. we know better than that. everyone does, I don't care how ignorant some people can be - even they know whats bad for you.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I honestly would at least try many of her dishes.

What I don't understand why it is her fault? She cooks. She eats unhealthy. She gets diabetes. WHO THE *kitten* CARES?
    It should be no surprise. gah. Leave the woman alone
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    398134_275064639220269_239799172746816_751280_1464771582_n.jpg
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many diabetic MFP members would say no if they were offered a buttload of cash to do a commercial for a diabetes drug company.
    I would *kitten* myself out to anybody stupid enough to pay me.
    In fact, I do already...lol

But does that make it right?
    Should everybody cheat on their taxes, drive drunk or bribe public officials just because I do?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    blah blah blah
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    "First, you start with TWO STICK OF BUTTER!......" This is the way she starts every recipe. I think it's quite funny. But the only time I ever start anything wi/ 2 stix of butter is when I'm making cookies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would *kitten* myself out to anybody stupid enough to pay me.
    In fact, I do already...lol

But does that make it right?
    Should everybody cheat on their taxes, drive drunk or bribe public officials just because I do?

Doesn't make it right, but it would make you a hypocrit if you critcized someone else for doing it.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    398134_275064639220269_239799172746816_751280_1464771582_n.jpg

There is - it's not being the one a fault. Why blame yourself for being fat when you can blame everyone else?
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That's one great 'flying in the fried chicken graphic'! Who knew this post would still have legs the next day?
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Paula Dean doesn't need this endorsement to make money. People will still make her foods and buy her stuff even WITH DIABETES... WHY? Because some people like to eat. You can't get crazy over what other people do... you make good choices for YOU and YOUR family and let others do their thing.

I think it takes a Big Person to admit they were wrong... and maybe Paula Dean is doing just that by taking this endorsement. She doesn't need the money. PD has built an empire... An Empire that will still be there even if she didn't endorse this.

You can't change the past... you can only try and make the outcome better... And I feel, that is What she is doing.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen never said "Eat my gooey pumpkin cake AND lose weight." If people are going to blame her for America's obesity problem, then we are all mere sheep following the shepherd. People are responsible for themselves. I've made a few of Paula's recipes in the past but knew going in to them that they weren't healthy. Rather than blame her for America's obesity epidemic, I am sorry for her and hope some good comes of this, for both her and other people.
  • PudgyPigeon
    PudgyPigeon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    She hasn't led anyone over a cliff. She didn't invent overindulgent foods. No one has put their health in her hands. Frankly you are giving her way to much credit.

^ This- especially the last sentence.
  • Tialove1
    Options
    You can not blame Paula Deen for what is wrong in America. I'm sorry to say, but America was already messed up before her and her recipes. She was honest about her recipes and what she cooks from the beginning stating that she her recipes were not intended for the health conscious. So therefore, you cook and eat her recipes at her own risk. Mind you, she is from the south and in the south, alot of people cook the exact same way that she does. The only difference is she landed her own cooking show and was able to publish several cook books and make money doing it.
    I myself being a culinary professional can say that when you are preparing certain dishes, there will be recipes that will call for lots of butter and cream and sugar and whatever else that can contribute to health issues later. But also in my field, nutrition is something that is taught when you are in culinary school. You are learn to find alternative ingredients when it comes to certain recipes. You learn how to create meals for people who may be diabetic or may have a heart condition or who have to eat a certain way because they may have seizures. All in all, its not what you cook that does damamge to your body, but its how you cook it. People also have to realize that you have a choice to eat and cook whatever way that you want and that nobody is forcing the food down your throat. So yes while it is unfortunate for Paula Deen to have announced that she is diabetic, you must also remember that there are alternative ingredients in any recipe you want to cook.
This discussion has been closed.