40+Club-Making it Work

Options

Replies

• mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Texssippian,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog - I know its extremely hard to lose a long-time pet; they're another member of the family!:brokenheart: :sad: :sad:
    We have a 13-year old beagle-doxie mix and when she goes it'll just kill my husband. She's "his" dog, and stops eating whenever he travels. He found her as an abandoned, 4 month-old walking skeleton and she worships the ground he walks on. I'm not really a pet person, but she and I keep each other company when he's gone:wink:

You and your family are in my thoughts......... take care:heart::heart: :heart:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: texssippian, I am so sorry to hear about your dog.:brokenheart: I have a 20 year old cat and am not looking forward to her passing. Her only problems so far is that she is deaf and has slowed down considerably.

alf, I certainly hope that the kennel was held responsible for your dog getting attacked.

:flowerforyou: MillerLight, welcome back. The thing to do at this time is to forget the ice cream and move on. We have all had to do this.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I will be returning to work probably on Friday. I will have a lot less time to be here in the thread. I work eight hours per day and then have my family, which has grown since last week, to care for. I will try to log in here as often as I can. :heart: I love all of you.:heart:
  • TexasMom
    TexasMom Posts: 70
    Options
    texssippian - I'm so sorry to here about your loss. Our pets are so much a part of the family and it's hard to loss them . And so suddenly. :cry: :cry:

Swiss - You'll be missed so come back as often as you can. If only to post hi. And good luck going back to work. Family comes first and it's always a challenge to balance everything in our lives. For you... :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I hit milestone number two this morning, I'm now under 180, barely, 179.8 but I'm there and I am so excited. I can't believe it. It's amazing that 2-3 pounds a week doesn't sound like much boy does it add up fast. And getting back to what I know is good clean living feels sooooo good!!! I can't thank each of you enough for all the support and encouragement you give me.

You are all awesome. :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,806 Member
    Options
    texssipipian, I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds so sudden. What a shock. :brokenheart:

TexasMom, congrats on the milestone! :drinker: And even better yet, congrats on how good you are feeling. There's nothing like feeling good, is there?

Swissmiss, we'll miss you! :cry: Please check in whenever you get a chance.

All here is well. Did an hour of chest/back strength training this morning. I felt pretty strong.

I think I've finally locked into a diet I can sustain at about 1650 calories. My energy was way down the latter part of May, but over the past couple of days, I've been feeling much better. My weight is staying the same, so chances are, I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be in terms of calories.

Now I just need to work on what goes into those 1650 calories. I'm thinking I'm going to have to re-think my breakfast. I love :heart: peanut butter and jelly toast in the morning, and this is what I always have. But I'm finding I'm having a hard time sustaining my energy through my workouts anymore.

Does anybody have any suggestions for EASY breakfasts that are good for sustaining energy (I think I might need more protein and less sugar)? I know I'm not going to be cooking breakfast every morning, so I want something I can pop into the microwave, toaster or simply take out of the fridge and eat. I know....I'm so picky. :blushing: Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Hope everybody is having a good day. :flowerforyou:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, hope your all having a wonderful day....:smile:

Got back from Nevada last night (3:30am), we had to fix a few things at the rentals. Seems like I missed a lot while I was gone. Gosh, I dont know what I'm gonna do when I'm gone for 2 whole weeks in July on vacation... I've become so attached to this sight and of course all of you...:happy:

So I hope this isn't a stupid question.... But why exactly isn't corn considered a veggie????

texssippian.... I am so sorry about the loss of your dog.:brokenheart:

Swiss.... You will be greatly missed. But we all know how hard it is to juggle everything and if you get a spare moment please do check in and let us know how you are doing.:flowerforyou:

Texasmom.... you are doing fantastic!!! Your gonna be at your goal weight in no time.:wink:
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Thank you to all for the support. It is very helpful having you out there.

We did go to the trainer tonight. She noted how thin my middle area is getting. Yea!

It was making me sad looking at the dogs' pictures so I changed the main picture to produce from our backyard: cabbage, eggplant, squash, tomatoes, bell pepper and banana peppers. My mom is flying in on Friday so we will have cabbage and ratatouille and I will put the pepper in buttermilk corn bread. I love ratatouille. My mom and I are both big eggplant fans. My husband is not but he plants me a couple of eggplant plants each spring and gamely at least tastes my eggplant creations. He does like baba ganoush. I have found a middle eastern grocery and restaurant which will give me small amounts of tahini so I don't have to buy a big jar.

Thank you again to everyone for the kind words and support as we work through losing our sweet Callie-dog beagle yesterday.
    Back to work moms: take care of yourself and try to carve out a little time to hit this sight. You deserve the support even more while making that big change.
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    testing
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks tron...I will be around.

:flowerforyou: tex..the veggies look good. I so wish that I could have a garden.

:flowerforyou: stiring..don't have any suggestions for you. I also eat peanut butter when I am in a hurry. If I not, I like poached eggs or oatmeal. I have been having the oatmeal this week.

I managed to get to the Y today. I spent 1/2 hour on the bike and rowing machine. I feel much better. I am holding at the same weight also.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Good morning all. Today is blood donor day, so I will do that before my doctor appointment. Hopefully after that I will be at the gym again.
    Hope that everyone's day is going well. Keep up all the good work.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Texassippian just wanted to send you a hug. Losing pets is so hard. I lost my Sherman-dog 3 years ago and still miss her. :cry:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Just a quick check in...I'm still in CA having a great time. I'll try to post again soon, but right now I'm pretty busy with family get-togethers and touring. I'll be back home on Sunday night (late). Take care, friends!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good morning everybody!

Thanks for checking in singfree! Happy to hear you are having a good time in CA.

Nothing much new to report here. I consider today to be my first day in full maintenance mode with three meals, two snacks and a small treat (if I so choose)...all coming up to about 1650 calories. I'm looking forward to it. Of course, I get up this morning and discover I'd lost a pound :noway: (down to 106.7). I'm thinking that could be temporary, but if I lose anymore on this maintenance mode, I'll have to think about it again. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the weight loss, but I'm really ready to figure out my maintenance routine!

Going to be doing an hour of cardio this morning (step aerobics). Yay!

Hope everybody has a good day!
  • TexasMom
    TexasMom Posts: 70
    Options
    Happy Thursaday Everyone!!!!

Singfree - So happy to hear from you. Glad you're having a great time.

Stiring - Congrats on maintenance mode. I know you'll find a balance soon that you'll feel comfortable with. I can't thank you enough for keeping us updated on your progress and experiences. It's going to help me tremendously when I get down there. Thank you!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Question - Can all of you that have a HRM give me some feedback on your experiences with the calorie count? My HRM seems to be quite a bit different from what MFP's calculator says for walking and biking. MFP is 40-80 calories less than the HRM. Seems odd.

I'm off to bike. I'm thinking 20 miles but we'll see what happens once I get out there. Not sure my bottom can take the seat that long since I'm just getting back into it. :laugh:

I hope everyone has a great day!!!
    Many Blessings,
    Nita
  • tron3002
    Options
    Texasmom.... Your HRM is what is accurate for you. Working out and burning calories is different for each individual. As far as I understand it, it goes off of your height, weight, and fitness level. For example a 5'2 woman weighing 140 will burn more calories doing the same exercise than a 5'2 woman who only weighs 110. So unfair if you ask me.... But thats the way it was explained to me.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! Everyone is doing so well! :drinker: :drinker:

Swiss, hope to hear from you soon!! :heart:

Where is Duffy?? Has anyone heard from her? I hope she is ok.

Stiring, you are doing awesome!! Regarding your breakfast question, are you looking for pre-workout snack/small meal or your "full" breakfast. I love oatmeal for breakfast, how about plain oatmeal cooked with 1/2 c skim milk and 1 T of natural peanut butter. That is a fabulous breakfast. If wanting something lighter a small banana and 1 T of PB. I love PB as well, there is nothing wrong with it, as long as it is natural, no problem. I cooked my oatmeal pretty fast, it cooks faster than a boiled egg. I buy the old fashioned oats.

Have a great day!! :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Thanks for the idea, alf! :flowerforyou: I'd never thought about putting the peanut butter in oatmeal. I might have to give that a try since I think oatmeal will have less sugar than the bread I'm eating (no HFCS...but still a pretty high sugar index) AND I would still get my peanut butter (organic, natural and unsalted, of course) fix. Thanks again!

I've been thinking about duffy too and hoping her recovery from her surgery is going well.

TexasMom, I just want to echo what tron has said about calorie burns. MFP is probably based on an average (much like exercise machines are based). From what I've seen in a number of places (though there is no indication of this here at MFP, but I'd be willing to bet MFP uses similar averages), the 'average' seems to be somebody in the 150-160 range. If you weigh less than that, you may burn less. If you weigh more, you may burn more. So if your HRM has your personal data recorded accurately (weight, age, etc), I suggest you go with what your HRM says. Hope you had fun on that bike ride!!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: stiring...Great news. I know I have probably said this before but you are so tiny. Stay with us. OK. We need your input.

:flowerforyou: alf, I have never tried peanut butter in my oatmeal. I know that peanut butter is good because of the protein. I have been eating oatmeal for breakfast all week.

:flowerforyou: tron, what you are saying is that if we have our HRM set for our own weight, age, etc. that it should be accurate? Does anyone here know how to do the settings for one?

Did you all notice that my ticker has moved?:happy:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options

Now I just need to work on what goes into those 1650 calories. I'm thinking I'm going to have to re-think my breakfast. I love :heart: peanut butter and jelly toast in the morning, and this is what I always have. But I'm finding I'm having a hard time sustaining my energy through my workouts anymore.

Does anybody have any suggestions for EASY breakfasts that are good for sustaining energy (I think I might need more protein and less sugar)? I know I'm not going to be cooking breakfast every morning, so I want something I can pop into the microwave, toaster or simply take out of the fridge and eat. I know....I'm so picky. :blushing: Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Texas,
    Congrats on the weight goal - good for you!!!!
    As far as breakfast, I leave the house by 7:00am for a 25 mile commute, so I usually have a cup of Weight Watchers fat-free yogurt with a serving of Special K Chocolately Delite cereal mixed in along with a glass of orange juice at 6:30am and I rarely get hungry before lunch at noon.
  • tron3002
    Options
    :flowerforyou: tron, what you are saying is that if we have our HRM set for our own weight, age, etc. that it should be accurate? Does anyone here know how to do the settings for one?

Did you all notice that my ticker has moved?:happy:

My HRM is a reebok brand, so for mine it has a user profile you click onto and it asks for your age and weight. I dont know if all HRM's have that option but hopefully yours will.

And congrats on losing more weight!!!!!:happy: :drinker: