Zumba

Options

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Love it! I've never been to a live class, but I have the original DVD set. I just got done doing it in my hotel room (traveling for work). It plays right on my laptop, so I really have no excuse not to do it. It's fun, and before you know it, it's over and you have just burned over 500 calories. You can make it as easy or as hard as you want. Be prepared to sweat!

Is this the three DVD set? If so, I also have it. I bought it thinking that I could stop the classes and just Zumba at home. Well, I did for one year. It was not the same. Not as exciting and didn't burn as many calories. I am back in class.

It's the Cardio Party, Sculpt & Tone, 20 min Express, Abs, and Zumba Live. Came with the 1lb toning sticks. I wore a HRM while I did cardio party and burned over 500 cal in 46 min. Zumba is what you make it and I try to make it challenging.
  • quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is what got me hooked on Zumba....I have the first one on the Xbox and the second one on the Wii....both leave me dripping sweat!
  • Cands_30
    Options
    OBSESSED!! lol. Absoluetely love it. I go 3x a week. So sad when the hr class is over. Great music, great work out, and you end up making great friends. But I agree w/ an earlier thread that the instructor really can make it or break it,but definately TRY IT OUT! Good luck and have fun!! :0)
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've just got the Zumba Exhilarate DVD pack.... and I'm pleasantly surprised...

I've done the 20 minute class (Zumba Rush) and the tempo is nearly as fast as an actual real life class...
    I'm slightly out of breath & dripping with sweat by then end of it.

I usually burn 210 calories after doing it.

Have it and love, love, love it!!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have a question about it. Is there a lot if going up and down in the class? I find that in aerobics classes if you have to get up and then kneel down repeatedly, I get dizzy and its pretty embarrassing. I am going to a Zumba class on Wednesday for the first time a and would like to know. Thanks!

I have never been in a class that required kneeling -- not zumba anyway.
    There are spins -- and like you, I get very dizzy so I just don't turn around --- no one cares!
    If they do a move you don't like, do something else. I have tons of modification I make.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Dislike but I hate to discourage wannabees.

It's OK. I Spin twice a week, lift weights a few times a week, jump rope and Kickbox. Some weeks I bellydance and do yoga too.
  • BJBLAINE
    BJBLAINE Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Zumba excellent exercise. I take the class 2-3 times a week - low impact - I do have Zumba shoes (no treads) to protect my knees. Be careful with regular athletic shoes if the instructor has you move a lot
  • HealthyJenn0712
    Options
    I like zumba, but I cannot dance. If you want a good laugh, watch me try to shake my hips in a zumba class. I look goofy, but I don't care! :)
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I *used* to like zumba, it was a great way for me to get into fitness, but now I'm a little more addicted to classes generally I just don't get the same buzz as I do from body combat, body attack etc. etc. It is *so* dependent on the instructor too, some are more dancy (which I prefer) and some are more aerobics based, so you have to try lots of classes (if going to classes rather than using the DVD) to find a teaching style that suits you. I used to go to a great class which I used as a cool down after body attack (yet 4 months ago I could have just about managed a zumba class on its own!)

One word of warning: make sure you wear shoes which offer support for lateral movement as well as cushioning. I shelled out £40 on zumba shoes (split sole) that I thought would be good for me, yet those shoes, coupled with poor technique (not grounding my heels, and landing too heavily on my toes) left me with very very painful shin splints. It annoys me that in zumba instructors never mention anything like this, about proper technique, if they had I might not have had to take so much time off exercising and spent more ££££ on orthotics!!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've just got the Zumba Exhilarate DVD pack.... and I'm pleasantly surprised...

I've done the 20 minute class (Zumba Rush) and the tempo is nearly as fast as an actual real life class...
    I'm slightly out of breath & dripping with sweat by then end of it.

I usually burn 210 calories after doing it.

I've now done some of the other DVDs in the Zumba Exhilarate set....

Zumba Ripped DVD (Toning & Sentao) - burned 469 calories (60 minutes)
    But I used 5 pound weights instead of the 1.5 or 2.5 pounds toning sticks that they use.

Zumba Exhilarate DVD - burned 514 (60 minutes)
    Zumba Rush DVD - burned 214 calories (20 minutes)
    Zumba Activate DVD - burned 366 calories (40 minutes)

I've been doing Turbo Fire for the last 6 months and these DVDs still got me working up a sweat...!
    Also, I wear a KiFit (UK BodyMedia Fit), so these calorie burns are pretty accurate.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I go to class 3 times week, love it. Really work up a sweat!
  • samatalma
    Options
    For those who do Zumba, how do you log? There isn't really a Zumba option and I have a hard time gauging how many calories I am burning. I just got the Zumba for the Wii and I love it!
  • MzKym30
    MzKym30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love it! Great workout & great music!!! You'll have so much fun & want even feel like your working out. I ordered my DVDs from Amazon.com
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    For those who do Zumba, how do you log? There isn't really a Zumba option and I have a hard time gauging how many calories I am burning. I just got the Zumba for the Wii and I love it!

Get yourself an HRM. That is the ONLY way to know for sure.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i use www.zumbacalories.com and created my own zumba exercise lol!
  • TXCountryChick
    TXCountryChick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that website! Me and another lady in my office were talking about how to log in out Zumba class. Perfect!
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    BTW I lost 24 lbs in one month by doing Zumba 4x's a week and staying under or at 100 g carbs a day!

I'm going to try this strategy.

I love love love love love Zumba. If you get an instructor that does 'lots of booty moves' you can't help but leave feeling sexy!!!!!!

Did I say that I love Zumba? Lol
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options

Get yourself an HRM. That is the ONLY way to know for sure.

I agree. I wear a Polar FT4....love it.
  • pammypk1
    pammypk1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    love love love it! just tried it for the first time the other night and what a workout!
  • sianywest23
    Options
    what is a hrm? I have just logged zumba under dance, aerobics but dont think its right