Why are some people afraid to leave their FOOD diary open?

Options

Replies

• onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    It could possibly be the fact that they are here for themselves and the only person who's opinion of what they eat matters is their own. I'm confident that if they ever need/want help or opinions they will open it and ask. Until then, its nobody's business but their own. We're all here to find what works best for ourselves. If you're wanting to see it to get meal ideas, try google or the forums instead. Jmo
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ive seen peoples food diarys get posted on the message boards just to be picked apart.Mines open now,but I closed it for awhile because I had random a**holes sending me messages about not eating my exercise calories,or eating proccesed foods,or how I shouldnt drink blah blahh blah closing it was much easier than telling each and every one of them to *kitten* off

This is a quote ^^ but it actually happened to me too, and I wasn't asking for help or advice. There are some real TOOLS on here, I nearly closed my diary, but then I thought "why should I? I have nothing to hide".I just blocked him instead.
    It did upset me though....
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It depends on how I'm feeling , sometime is private and sometimes is public. But some people take it to far , I know someone who stopped being a friend with another person because that person ate some small fries.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ive seen peoples food diarys get posted on the message boards just to be picked apart.Mines open now,but I closed it for awhile because I had random a**holes sending me messages about not eating my exercise calories,or eating proccesed foods,or how I shouldnt drink blah blahh blah closing it was much easier than telling each and every one of them to *kitten* off

AMEN ... it's like people think they are experts ... mine is open, for now ... we'll see how long it lasts.

this!!!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open because not I can sneak food and be like well, no one it going to know. BUT since mine is open- people will know! it is a way of holding me accountable. I have never been picked apart- and if I did- I should have -example last night I came home hungry and there was Chinese food. YES I KNOW I SHOULD NOT HAVE EATEN IT. Most people I find to be supportive and say try again.
  • debcoffman
    Options
    Wow, Fixed my settings as well.. :wink:

Now open thanks!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Way to make what other people do about you.

My diary is actually my diary. Not yours or anyone else's, and I can do with it what I choose. Some people need to be accountable to others to be successful, some do not. That doesn't mean they're "afraid" to leave it open.

You need to respect people's personal choices and not pass judgment on them for something you perceive.
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    I can understand why people lock their diaries. I have an eating disorder and my diary sometimes gets picked apart by other users. What I don't understand is when people don't add the 'bad' food to their diary? If you don't add everything to it, then what's the point in having the diary at all?
  • dragomom
    dragomom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, being overweight is a medical condition, and I would never want my medical records out in the public. We use this site as a tool, kind of like using a doctor. We are not here to be open game for someone that feels the need to be nosey and pick us apart and knock our self esteem down, we are here to better ourselves and get some much needed support.

And to even consider this a helpful topic is useless, someone obviously has too much time on their hands and should really find something to do other than this.
  • Chloe078
    Options
    I agree, just a little of inspiration!
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think it is cool for your MFP friends to see what is going on... I am the worst with food... and I can take the positive or negative comments... actually I've never gotten negative comments just suggestions which help me out a ton.

I think more women lock theirs down over the guys.....
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have to admit with some, some people just pick you apart. I know there is a note section but sometimes I forget to put that Saturday is my spike day in Cals. and I've gotten told some not so nice things.
  • Art2011
    Art2011 Posts: 15
    Options
    It's not a matter of being afraid to. I keep mine private so I don't cheat. (kind of the opposite). I'm not concerned about what people think because they can't read it. There is no reason to lie to myself. I've seen numerous people do it here with there food and especially exercise diary. Mine is honest and a tool for ME to use.
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Personally, I had mine open for awhile and made everything public. But I got such negative comments that I decided to make everything personal and not share. I got comments like "You'd loose more weight if you'd eat back your exercise calories" You're not eating enough (even though I was eating my total number of calories that I should). Comments like you're eating too much fiber, not enough fiber, you're eating sporatically. I just got tired of the comments. Everyone has to choose their own course of action, and if it works for them, then yay! I was eating my calories, but yes sometimes I wouldn't eat the best of foods for me because I would have something that I really wanted and craved and got nothing but negative comments.

My one pet peeve about this site is, that people get it in their mind how much people should loose and how they should go about it. Everyone is not the same and what works for one may not work for someone else.
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    Alright, mine is now open. My was locked simply because I never bothered to look in the settings to see.
    Why would MFP have it locked by default? I always thought people could see it. :)

So glad I found this thread today, I found all kind of settings to change in my profile lol
  • Harperbass
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been posted and I'm not about to go through 11 pages though but...

...isn't this MYfitnesspal?

Not yours or theirs or anyone else's.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I find it frustrating too, but I think they are afraid that people will be judgemental.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It's closed as default I think. Maybe most don't notice.

For me, this. I don't mind showing it. Umm, my food diary that is. How do I expose it? My food diary!
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    i dont even know how to open mine :(
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    i dont even know how to open mine :(

Go to settings and look for diary settings. It's in there.