Replies

• Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    UK 12 pants are trouser/jeans right?
  • Daneece
    Daneece Posts: 16
    Options
    I started my weight loss at size 30 jeans!!!! In 6 mo I have lost 66 lbs and am proudly in a size 22! :-D
  • hairspraymafia
    hairspraymafia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As someone who works in the fashion industry doing fits, I can assure you that the number in your pants mean absolutely nothing! Vanity sizing is in every store. If you want to know your true size, look at a sewing pattern, those measures and numbers have never changed. You'll notice that chain stores sizes run much bigger than expensive, or European brands. For example, you'll be a size 6 at Gap, but a size 10 at Zara or Mango. You know how people say that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12? She was, but in today's sizes, she'd be a size 6.
    I can also attest that, depending on the season, the size, fit and overall shapes of garments will change within the same brand. I sometimes get emails from stores asking that last season's size Large now becomes a size Medium. So, what we do is take all the fits with size Large, and get the manufacturers to stick a size Medium tag in there.
    Don't get hung up on the number on the label, it really doesn't mean much :)
    Interesting, very interesting... Do you think it's a ploy, to make women feel better so that we buy more becuase we can fit into a smaller size? Men's clothing is the same my husband wears a 34/32 and I can go any where and buy that size and it will fit him, I think that is because men wouldn't fight the fight.

That's what vanity sizing is all about! Sometimes the sizing gets changed to attract a different market. It's all about profits in the end!
  • CruzZ8
    CruzZ8 Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and weigh 144.2 pounds. My size is a 9/10...they fit kinda lose, but the size down is tighty muffin top so :( I wish half sizes existed lol
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    I THOUGHT I was a size 5 until yesterday when I wore them, ever so confidently, and then realized after about 2 hours that I had no blood circulation and I had a permanent imprint of "DEREON" on my thigh.....(I actually started feeling light headed after wearing those jeans), soooooooo, I wear a 7/8.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    When I was 235, I wore a size 24. Now I am 210 and I wear a 16. Those are different brands, though. I used to wear Faded Glory from Walmart because they were cheap and came in a big enough size. Now I wear pants from Maurice's because they still aren't too spendy but they look much more age appropriate.
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    -wooooooow.....that explains a lot then!!! Thanks
    As someone who works in the fashion industry doing fits, I can assure you that the number in your pants mean absolutely nothing! Vanity sizing is in every store. If you want to know your true size, look at a sewing pattern, those measures and numbers have never changed. You'll notice that chain stores sizes run much bigger than expensive, or European brands. For example, you'll be a size 6 at Gap, but a size 10 at Zara or Mango. You know how people say that Marilyn Monroe was a size 12? She was, but in today's sizes, she'd be a size 6.
    I can also attest that, depending on the season, the size, fit and overall shapes of garments will change within the same brand. I sometimes get emails from stores asking that last season's size Large now becomes a size Medium. So, what we do is take all the fits with size Large, and get the manufacturers to stick a size Medium tag in there.
    Don't get hung up on the number on the label, it really doesn't mean much :)
    Interesting, very interesting... Do you think it's a ploy, to make women feel better so that we buy more becuase we can fit into a smaller size? Men's clothing is the same my husband wears a 34/32 and I can go any where and buy that size and it will fit him, I think that is because men wouldn't fight the fight.
    [/quote]

That's what vanity sizing is all about! Sometimes the sizing gets changed to attract a different market. It's all about profits in the end!
    [/quote]
  • WBish3
    WBish3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    5'3" 155lbs size 14-16. But literally ALL of my weight is my butt, hips and thighs. My waist is size 10 and so are my tops.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    5' 1.5" (yes, I count that half inch!)
    127 pounds
    Size 6 or 28 in pants and jeans. Once in a while a size 4 but very rarely.

When I started on MFP a year ago, I was a size 10. I'm proud of my new size!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    5'2, 142lbs... currently wearing size 9s but they are loose - time to go shopping :)
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have my mother's hips...I'm 5'3 and a half and weigh 125. My jean size is an 8. But i'm okay with it :)
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    women's sizes are crazy. You can be all over the place depending on the store you buy your jeans from. I'm 5'2 164 size 10-12 depending on where they are from. When I was 120 I was a size 0. It really depends on each person/brand of jeans.
  • Currently 140 pounds, 5'5'', and a size 5-7.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    193lbs.

AE jeans - 33's
    Hollister - 34's

Pretty much into the 32's in AE though.
  • heathermnrd
    Options
    5'2"
    133lbs
    either size 2 or 4 depending on brand
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and wear a size 7. Reeeeally wanting to be a size 5 by May!
  • orionling
    orionling Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0, weigh 111 lbs and wear a size 2 short in American Eagle jeans
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    5'3" , Age 44, 140lbs, Size 4 petite jeans
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    5'1, 109ish lbs. It depends on the brand. I'm a size 0 in Gap :)
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    5'5"
    Start: 190 lbs, size 14
    Now: 170 lbs, size 8

Did 30 Day Shred to help me fit in a size 8.