How do you stop from snacking at night?

Options

Replies

• MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Drink a bunch of water.

This has never worked for me. It doesn't quench my appetite at all, just gives me heartburn.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If I still have the calories left over and I'm hungry I eat. Its that simple.

If I'm hungry and don't have calories left over I brush my teeth, complete my diary on here, and drink some water. I know that its all mental but as soon as I click on that "finished logging for the day" ~ I know I'm done. Nothing else is getting added.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is something I did when I gave up smoking but I have a lolly pop only a small one and after you seem to forget why you wanted the food in the first place.
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82
    Options
    I'll usually grab a couple cashews and almonds and then I have a mandala coloring book to keep my hands occupied until bed time.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    turn off the tv! Find something else for your hands to do, read, type, write, knit/crochet, scrapbook, anything to keep your hands busy instead of in that hand-to-mouth mindless snacking.

I save as many calories as I can some nights because I just know, when I wake up and the kids are on each other from the minute the alarm goes off that it's going to be one of those nights, I'll bank calories so I can have something. Then it comes down to willpower if I go over or not.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I had this problem BIG time. I used to wake up with the munchies and go to the kitchen. Bottom line for me was just not to do it at all. It was hard for about 2 weeks, I could not fall back to sleep because I was obsessing over what ever it was I was craving. But as I said after 2 weeks the need or want to eat late night stopped.
  • SarahLee10
    SarahLee10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hot tea is good, nothing in it and it fills you up. I have just recently found Kroger brand CARBmaster yogurt, 60 calories. All kinds of flavors and they are really good. I agree the brushing your teeth is a good one too. Good luck! I hope all the tips help.
  • firedudecndn
    Options
    I think you need to figure out why you eat in the evening. I find I often want to eat in the evening out of boredom or because I was used to snacking in front of the TV when I still watched TV. Sometimes it's boredom, sometimes it's a "trigger response" because something you do triggers that bad habit and creates a desire to eat.
    A trainer I know says if you MUST eat in the evening; eat protein.
    I suggest; if you truly want to stop eating in the evening, is to promise yourself that you will not snack for 21 days. This is long enough to start a new habit and in all reality; it will only be a few days that will take a lot of willpower. After you have a bunch of days behind you your mindset changes and goes from "I can't/won't eat this evening" to "I am not willing to eat and break my streak of 3, 8 16 etc days"
    Go for a walk, call a buddy, chase your cat, do something that will take your mind off the snacks and for crying out loud; why are they even in your house??? Make it difficult to get them.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If I'm legitimately hungry (i.e, not just bored and eating out of habit), then I will eat something. I keep sugar free jello and pudding cups on hand. They are nice and satisfying for my sweet tooth and @ 60 calories. Or I'll have string cheese, 94% FF popcorn, a handful of nuts, etc. Something small and low cal, but enough to make sure I'm not going to bed with a growling stomach.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry, I eat, if I am bored and want to snack I do a couple of different things

I. I brush my teeth.
    2. Sugar free cough drops
  • princessf1
    princessf1 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. Everything tastes like crap after you brush your teeth :sick:

THIS! I have alot invested in gum surgery, so I hate to blow all the effort of brushing/flossing by eating again before bed.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Have a cup of tea, brush my teeth, and try to keep myself busy. If I'm occupied with doing something else, I won't think about food!
  • Jen788134
    Jen788134 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try a cup-a-soup if you fancy something warm and savory. A bowl of fat free yogurt with grapes and slices of apple and a squeeze of natural honey for something sweet. Nothing worse than going to bed hungry! Just make sure you save enough cals for the evening or go for a quick walk to gain the cals you need for a snack.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I try to have a cup a tea, it really helps me control the munchies.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I've accepted it about myself and planned for it. At 9:30 I get to have a choco yogurt. So I can wait til then. After that, it's near enough to bedtime.
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    I make sure I have a really good dinner and I drink a lot of black tea. Black tea seems to quell my hunger for some reason.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I totally agree. Or I put a mint in my mouth at other times of the day to do the same thing!
  • ebaywidow
    Options
    I try not to eat anything more after 7 p.m. and usually do my exercise around 8 p.m. I try to be in bed by 9:30 p.m. during the week, so week-ends are rough. I am the "original" Midnight Snacker...so it has been a challenge. If I do get hungry, I try to eat something that will fill me up and not crash my day such as: a boiled egg, lite yogurt w/ 1/4 cup of GrapeNuts (if you put the yogurt in a bowl & let the grapenuts swell some, it looks like more, & is filling), veggies (cucumbers, radishes, carrots, red peppers). I stay away from the 100 cal. snacks. Those are a killer for me. 1 - 2 packs becomes the whole box...bad! I also keep sugar-free popsicles on hand. Also, guilt is a great motivator for me not to ruin everything I did for the day. These are some things that work for me. Good Luck!!
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options

I agree! I brush my teeth anytime I dont wanna snack....or chew gum =)
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    ok heres my deal since i have a problem sleeping anyway, I take Unisom and go to bed so i can sleep through the hunger pang..works the best for me