You burnt how many calories?!

Options

Replies

• lookythat1
    Options
    That sounds about right to me, because you already have the 100 and than you lose 300, that should be only 200 that you should eat.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's why I wear a KiFit \ BodyBugg device. I burned 500 calories in 55 minutes doing a range of exercies in the Gym this morning.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    When I go for my 30-40 minute walk-jog-interval-whatever you want to call it, I just log it as "walking the dog 3mph". I can't run the whole way, so I jog, catch my breath, and then pick up the pace again, gradually running further. But I always just say I'm walking 3mph. That way I'm not over-estimating, although the interval shiz probably burns more calories than the 100 or so it's saying. 165lbs, trying to get to 130.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    interesting articles/topic! just posting this so I can have it in my topics to read later :$

but also (not sure if this has been mentioned) many of the exercises in the database were added by people and then everyone else has just been using them- many of those will only be accurate if you happen to be the same size as the person who entered them to begin with, and frankly how would we ever be able to determine that :|
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's total BS.
    Those numbers are way out of line, and it won't be long before the ones recording such numbers come back crying the blues about how they're doing everything they're supposed to do but can't get results.:sad:

I agree completely. IMHO the best way to get a feel for how many cals you can/need to eat is keep your diet and exercise reasonably stable for three weeks and monitor your progress with scales and a tape measure. If you are progressing the way you want to stick with it. If you are not tweak and repeat.

Why three weeks? Anything much less than this and you will be making dietary changes based on insufficient data... you simply will not have enough readings to understand your weekly fluctuations.
    I had to tweak mine, and it took about that long.
  • angpar
    angpar Posts: 5
    Options
    I totally agree!! I use a heart monitor that tells me the exact amount of calories I burn, its actually kind of comical to see what there calculation is! It is normally way off. I do have a question if anyone knows the answer, I am on blood pressure meds and can't get my heart rate above 150 for the life of me, it seems to effect my monitors calculations on how much I actually burn, because I cant get my heart rate up higher than that. Anyone run into the same problem with heart/calorie monitors?
  • dkljj
    dkljj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What is a HRM ? Heart rate monitor? How does that calculate calories?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

I agree completely. IMHO the best way to get a feel for how many cals you can/need to eat is keep your diet and exercise reasonably stable for three weeks and monitor your progress with scales and a tape measure. If you are progressing the way you want to stick with it. If you are not tweak and repeat.

Why three weeks? Anything much less than this and you will be making dietary changes based on insufficient data... you simply will not have enough readings to understand your weekly fluctuations.

Very sensible advice.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I find MFP is way out. I have an HRM and a BodyBugg and find them both relatively consistent, except during weight training where the bodybugg is next to useless.

I have a 45 minute routine that can vary by up to 300 calories depending on the effort I put in; i was tired last night and only burnt 500-odd, but the same routine on Sunday netted me almost 800 calories. I tend to beleive the numbers I see, assuming that people aren't trying to kid themselves.

An HRM is a great investment, and will help reign-in any unrealistic calorie counts you may find on MFP.

As an aside; I'm much larger than my husband, (he's at goal) and the MFP estimations for exercise are always within 50 cals of his HRM.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I wear a HRM when doing any cardio. For instance, yesterday, I ran for 104 minutes and burned 1379 calories. When I run for 60 minutes, it is usually an 800+ burn. Sometimes, I am questioned about my burn because my burn is so high. But my HRM is on correctly, it has my correct user stats, I update it whenever there is a change in weight... IDK!

I can tell you that if I went by MFP's calculations for running OR walking, they are shorting me a lot of calories!! If I went by MFP for elliptical, they are over estimating my calories burned!
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I see where some folks report 700 cals burned for 60 min of cleaning. I don't want to knock anyone, but if that were possible, I'd go so far as to say they never would have been overweight in the first place...that is, unless they just started cleaning after joining MFP. If cleaning for an hour burned half my daily calories, I'd be invisible by now.

You are too funny. I never count cleaning as exercise anyway but you're right according to that we should never be overweight based on cleaning. I don't generally sweat when cleaning either so I know I'm not really burning much.
  • ckerce
    ckerce Posts: 25
    Options
    Well said! I post my calories burned but really give it that much thought! I just do whatever workout that I feel like doing that day and give it my all and I know, when I am thru, if I have had a good workout! And then I feel wonderful! I have never worked out and then felt bad for doing it, no matter how much or how little i did for that day! At least I am moving~
  • angpar
    angpar Posts: 5
    Options
    ellipticals for my I usually burn 300 calories in 30 minutes. That is on "fat burning mode" when the resistance isnt even set as high. My husband runs about the same numbers as well. The machine at the gym and my heart monitor say 300 calories so I know its pretty accurate:)
  • Almamaree
    Options
    Excellent question. And great responses. I agree that nothing is totally accurate and using two forms of counting your activity along with your common sense is a wise choice.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    <
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just got my Polar FT7 HRM yesterday and I used it today morning when I worked out and according to my HRM, I burnt more calories than I thought I did during one session of PT. It also depends if the machines at the gym are calibrated often to make sure its accurate (+/- 20%)
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options

I admit I put in cooking sometimes, but I try not to use the calories.

Reason I do it... simple, my husband does all the cooking in the house.

My rule of thumb is to write down anything I don't typically do.. I do less than once every few weeks.

I can understand putting in cooking if it not a regular activity for you... as long as the numbers are reasonable .For example, if I only burn 200kcal doing 60 minutes of yoga, there's no way I'm burning anywhere near that doing 60 minutes of cooking.

What really gets me is when people seem to log their cooking activities to justify eating more. Like, I enjoy a 50kcal snackwell's cookie in the evening and if I just log my cooking as cardio, it's free!
  • GaryJWilliams
    Options
    In my experience, and i have been road racing on the bike,doing county level road/cross country running and international triathlons upto and including Ironman(3 ironman finishes 2 of which inside 10 hrs) the only truly accurate way to get an accurate calorie burn figure is following both lactate threshold testing and VO2 max testing and having a good quality heart rate monitor programmed specifically for you. For instance I ran a very easy 10k trail route today using my garmin forerunner 610 with hrm. this showed 948 Kcal (MFP showed 962Kcal) I ran at 8:32 min mile and the nearest on MFP is 8:30 pace. I have had all my testing done recently and calibrated my garmin exactly.
    The only variable is intensity and as we are all individuals our intensity levels will vary. I cant account for wildly conflicting calorie burns but I do believe that we should consider having lactate threshold and VO2 max testing done in order to have these intesity levels defined before we start taking generic figures into account
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a measure of energy. The heavier you are, regardless of it's density, is more mass that is dragged around during work out, thus you burn more calories.

That's why I take calorie estimation websites, including this one with a grain of salt. There are just too many variables that aren't considered. I have an HRM, and it's a great tool.

However, if you're just starting this journey. There's another peice of equipment that's even more critical in helping you get a more accurate count of your calories: A Food Scale. Buy that first.
  • prettyash76
    Options
    I never eat all of my exercise calories. I plan to purchase a Polar FT4