Why are some so desperate.........................

Options

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I agree. I wouldn't go so far to say stupid, but I think lazy would be kind of accurate. I'm constantly seeing commercials for this "3-2-1" plan by Slimfast. 3 shakes a day, 2 snacks, and 1 meal. Uh...no thank you. I like eating. THAT'S WHY I'M FAT.
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunate that people fall for that kind of stuff. Unfortunately, some doctors are willing to prescribe or recommend "diet pills" also. I switched doctors last year not b/c she recommended or tried to prescribe diet pills but b/c she told me that "you might think about the surgical route, it might be the only way for you to lose weight." I didn't feel like I gave the exercise and changing my eating habits a good enough shot for her to be recommending something so drastic. I felt like rather than answering my questions, it was easier for her to recommend surgery and push the issue off on someone else. I am not totally against the surgical route. If someone truly needs it, so be it, but that isn't the "easy" way out either. You still have to change your lifestyle/eating habits or the surgery will not be successful. Thankfully, my doctor now supports me 100% and agrees diet pills/gimmicks are NOT an option and surgery......well that has yet to be a topic of conversation and I plan to keep it that way. My husband also changed doctor's last year b/c when we asked to see a nutritionist so we could learn how to eat properly (for example: number of calories, carbs, etc. we should allow ourselves), his doctor told us seeing a nutritionist was a waste of time and money. (We switched hubby's doctor for other reasons as well) Since switching doctor's, my hubby was diagnosed as diabetic and we went to diabetic educational classes. VERY informative and taught by a nurse and a nutritionist and we got the info we were wanting in the beginning....and then some.
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I never understood, but I do now. My weight has gone up and down the same five pounds since the beginning of July. My clothes keep getting tighter. I've tried eating less, more, changed my workout routine, added more protein, cut carbs. You name it, I've done it and NOTHING. So, a "magic" pill or whatever sounds pretty good to me.

And, yes, had a physical and all is perfect.

Diet and exercise have failed me. Now what?

I know you said you had a physical, but have you been checked for insulin resistance? I went through the same thing. I was watching calories/carbs faithfully, exercising faithfully and still gaining 2-3 pounds a week. It was very discouraging. I have PCOS which makes it harder for me to lose weight anyway, but I kept asking the doctor about it and finally they found I was insulin resistant (related to the PCOS). They put me on a small dose of Metformin, a diabetic medication, to help with the insulin resistance and I am FINALLY seeing some progress and my exercising and the change in eating habits are paying off. Just a thought......

Best of luck. Hang in there.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    to lose weight that they fall for scams? Let's clear this up here and now: THERE IS NO MAGIC PLAN. Weight loss SAFELY comes down to a few things

Calorie deficit
    Exercise to accelerate it and to help retain lean muscle (that means you have to strength train)
    Rest
    Good overall diet that ensures getting in all your daily essentials.

THAT'S IT!!!!! No pills, no gimmicks, no shakes, no cleanses, no HCG, no wrist bands, no infomercial gadgets..................

Follow above program and you will succeed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My God, I wish everyone was this level headed!:drinker: :smile:
  • Renee0608
    Renee0608 Posts: 138
    Options
    Body by Vi is really growing i think :P

I'm not sure why so many fall for it. Like the shakes and such are going to make you lose more weight.. even when you have the same about of calories? I don't get it.

I know one of those CEO's of that company....Visalus. Unfortunately. and I don't buy into his products LOL
  • Hoosier_born
    Options
    They are sabotaged by their own belief system.

This is what I agree with, good topic.
  • Renee0608
    Renee0608 Posts: 138
    Options
    u mad cause the Giants are stylin' on you?

Go Pats!!!! Just sayin.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I can't count the number of people who've asked me in the past month how I've lost 25 pounds and are disappointed that I answer "eating less and exercising more." They're all hoping to hear "this pill" or "magic beans" or SOMETHING easy.

We have lots of radio ads around here now for Medifast meal/diet program. One person I know started it and is upset because she's gained weight. Yeah, she's eating the medifast meals and adding in McD's or Wendy's for a snack or two every day....
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I can't count the number of people who've asked me in the past month how I've lost 25 pounds and are disappointed that I answer "eating less and exercising more." They're all hoping to hear "this pill" or "magic beans" or SOMETHING easy.

We have lots of radio ads around here now for Medifast meal/diet program. One person I know started it and is upset because she's gained weight. Yeah, she's eating the medifast meals and adding in McD's or Wendy's for a snack or two every day....

Yeah I take offense to it....

Wow you lost 100 lbs ?

What did you take? Or what procedure did you have?

Go to hell...
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just bought a shakeweight--fingers crossed :wink:
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    SOOOOOO ... does that include:

Medifast
    WeightWatchers
    Jenny Craig
    E-diets?
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options

Yeah I take offense to it....

Wow you lost 100 lbs ?

What did you take? Or what procedure did you have?

Go to hell...

LOL .. I was perscibed a bottle of "quit *****ing and get it done" Juice Shake that I take every day with a "Get off my *kitten*" Suppliment.

I can talk to my doctor and see if he can perscribe you the same?
  • mariekphillips21
    Options
    A number of those things do work for weight loss. They do not work for healthy weight maintenance. That's the part that gets glossed over during the sell.

That's awesome you lost 50 pounds doing the cookie diet!! Now what??
    If their was such thing as a cookie diet for weight loss I would be hopitalized for such dedication to my diet haha
  • AmyJo54915
    Options
    Wait you mean that butt jiggilator thing my mom bought in the 90s is not going to melt my fat away? I am suingthe manufacturer now.

Fixed that for ya.

:laugh:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The intention of the post is good, but it was useless. The masses are in general not educated enough on themselves and their bodies and the ways to lose weight. And most people are fully Kardashianized and if its on tv or a good ad campaign, theyll buy it.

Most people are sheep. And livestock people love fat sheep.

Sad but true.

I'm a fat sheep and I want to lose weight NOW NOW NOW!
    -20 pounds overnight!
    Don't tell me I can't, I have earplugs on!
    Yep! Sums it all!
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love MFP because of this. It's so simple! I have done Weight Watchers in the past, and while I do not think they are a scam at all, I just got so tired of giving someone money to tell me how much weight I lost each week and giving me a little pep talk. No need! It really is this simple. I do cringe when I hear of someone going on the HCG diet or something else crazy like that.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Can I say yes there is no quick fix plan that will get lean ripped abs in less then 3 minutes a day, or a pop of a pill and drop a dress size over night and in 8 short weeks have the body you have always wanted.....
    But can i just say something else.....i have been working out since june last year and do you know what! I have been stuck at 75 kilos since then....the only reason why i dropped to 73 kilos in 2 weeks was i lost my appatite....its not the best thing to do but hey if i didnt feel like eating i wasnt going to...its what stress did for me.....now can i tell u something, i am desperate to actually see results....i was doing MFP for 5 months, maintaining my calories, exercising 3 times a week and do you know how much i lost....? maybe 200grams if that! over the 5 months!
    So i decided id do it on the 1st! then i make excuses i didnt lose then why would i now?
    So then last week i decided again lets do it, so my plan is to burn my fat away....I ate 500 cals for brekfast/lunch and then went to the gym after work i did a half hour class of a core class and then body attack which was an hour and a half class....i then did my usual 30 min interval runs and 30 mins of weights of 3-11-18 kilo depending on weight section.
    I burnt 1280 calories in 2hours 30 mins....it is 2 days later and i AM FEELING LIKE **** i ache all over.....
    If i had a schedual that would tone me in every place possible that would get rid of some of my gut id be in heaven! Every time i get to a goal weight I am like oh i need to be less to be in better form....and do you know what since 2008 i have lost 23 kilos.....17 went in 6 months and the rest is clinging to me like lycra....I am far from lazy, i am hopeful, i am looking for something that would budge me from 75 kilos because nothing worked..... Its just so hard! I cut my portions, i eat food i wouldnt touch and i exercise and i cut down on my bad food and do you know where that gets me.....nowhere.....so I am using a ill kill every muscle in my body even if i have to walk like a nanna for 2 days after doing gym classes! Ill go hard and Ill go often! 6 days a week if i can!
    Im not looking for a quick fix, because im not stupid, it doesnt exist without lipo and surgery...and i cant even afford a personal trainer so there is no hope of that!
    I was stuck at 75 kilos for so long....the african diet pills....fail.....
    food.......fail
    exercise ........fail
    Obsession for feedback and what works.........DISTINCTION......
    Results...........fail
    We all need help, just some chose magic and bubbles of hope over reality!
    Some times we just need a boost!

It sounds like over-training.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I never understood, but I do now. My weight has gone up and down the same five pounds since the beginning of July. My clothes keep getting tighter. I've tried eating less, more, changed my workout routine, added more protein, cut carbs. You name it, I've done it and NOTHING. So, a "magic" pill or whatever sounds pretty good to me.

And, yes, had a physical and all is perfect.

Diet and exercise have failed me. Now what?

- If you went to a regular doctor, then go to an endocrinologist.
    - You say you've tried a bunch of stuff, but how long to you stick to those changes?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    A number of those things do work for weight loss. They do not work for healthy weight maintenance. That's the part that gets glossed over during the sell.

That's awesome you lost 50 pounds doing the cookie diet!! Now what??
    If their was such thing as a cookie diet for weight loss I would be hopitalized for such dedication to my diet haha

I don't really want to promote it and I don't remember the name but it is an actual diet run by a certain clinic (I think it's a chain). You would eat the cookies prescribed by the clinic through the day and then eat a "sensible" meal at dinner. All the DJ's on one of the local radio stations were doing it about a year or two ago.
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Magic plan works for me.... perfectly.... :wink: everyone is different....