Who believes in Internet Dating?

Options

Replies

• jijibiji
    Options
    I believe
  • jijibiji
    Options
    I think that there are some great dating chat sites on the Internet where you can meet other interesting singles. If you are a bit shy or really busy, online dating chat sites really work.
    Check this one: http://www.chatboxuk.com
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I know people that met someone online, fell in love, and it was a complete disaster. I would not recommend it.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    is there any other kind?
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I personally think you're talking two different things here. There is a difference between online dating (used only to get first contact with the person) and long distance relationships (what you referenced) I wouldn't ever online date someone that was farther than 20 miles from me, simply for the points you had about it. But, yeah, online dating can work. I"ve seen lots of people around me have luck with it.
  • daeljo
    daeljo Posts: 38
    Options
    No offence to anyone who have met their partner through internet but I was just wondering what's your thought on this topic?

I personally wouldn't do internet dating because for me I see it as "What is the point in all this, if you cant hold your man/women in person, go out to dinner or just hang out in general, and how you know if he is actually faithful," for me you can never trust someone's words . For me words mean nothing. & obveriously If I don't see the guy in person, how would i know If he's not cheating regardless of all the phone calls you two have made, Skype'd etc..

I don't know, Personally I just don't get the whole point in it, for me its just a waste of time and always better to have the real thing then computer screen esp even worse if they live in another COUNTRY!. Sorry if anyone finding this a bit offensive and don't mean too but if you have found love through internet then Congratulations. :)

I met my boyfriend online (We are going on three years) and I NEVER believed in the online dating thing or anything. I always thought it was creepy that people would meet online and long distance would be so pointless. But my boyfriend ended up seeing my picture on Facebook and being a creep, he added me and we started talking. We hit it off right away and within a week he was my best friend!
    I'm insecure sometimes with the distance, especially cause they could easily lie. But we communicate a lot about everything and we are able to fly and see each other ever 2 months!
    I don't think internet dating is for everyone, especially if the guy (or girl) isn't willing to TELL you how he feels, what he's doing, who he talked to, etc. since you can't SEE those things in person. But I think, with the right person, it's worth it :]
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Plenty Of Fish is largely a waste of time if you are male. Honestly if you are looking for an honest to god relationship with a woman, you're better off on eharmony or somewhere where people have to pay to get on. That at least limits the massive number of other males doing the peacock strut and ups your chances of at least getting a response back.

Otherwise it's like playing powerball. Odds are you won't get a response at all, and in many cases those sites have been accused of creating fake female profiles just to keep guys on there... take that for what it's worth.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I know people that met someone online, fell in love, and it was a complete disaster. I would not recommend it.

Met my fiance online in World of Warcraft. Been together 3 years and it's hard to imagine life without him.

I would recommend it, if it works for you.
  • xmissjasmine
    Options
    I met my husband's ex bestfriend online 10 years ago. His best friend (we'll call him D) and I started dating 8-9 years ago. They lived in CT and I live in IN. My husband (We'll call him A) and I became best friends as I dated D. I later found out Mr. Slimeball D was cheating on me, and A who was a good enough friend to me told me about it (I would have to call A's phone sometimes in order to get ahold of hisD)....While I was dating D, he came for 2 visits and A came with. So super long super complicated story short. Even though my husband was 700 miles away, I met him through online, he visited a few times, moved here, and we've been together for 6 years, married for 5 and have a BEAUTIFUL set of 1 year old twin boys!

SO bottom line, yep, I believe in it. Matter of fact, nearly every man I dated from the time I was 16 on was someone I met online. It can be done.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    While I've met some nice guys through online dating, I don't believe in long distance internet relationships. That being said, after corresponding with someone off and on through a dating site for a couple of years, he convinced to try having a "relationship" with him even though he's a couple states away. I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot because he had plans of coming here to visit family and thought I'd try it til we met in person and take it from there. I hate it. But every time I try to end it, he won't go away. LOL. Clearly it's not working!!!!
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No offence to anyone who have met their partner through internet but I was just wondering what's your thought on this topic?

I personally wouldn't do internet dating because for me I see it as "What is the point in all this, if you cant hold your man/women in person, go out to dinner or just hang out in general, and how you know if he is actually faithful," for me you can never trust someone's words . For me words mean nothing. & obveriously If I don't see the guy in person, how would i know If he's not cheating regardless of all the phone calls you two have made, Skype'd etc..

I don't know, Personally I just don't get the whole point in it, for me its just a waste of time and always better to have the real thing then computer screen esp even worse if they live in another COUNTRY!. Sorry if anyone finding this a bit offensive and don't mean too but if you have found love through internet then Congratulations. :)

I'm too lazy to read the entire thread so I apologise if any one else mentioned this but I wanted to comment on something you said. Communication is the most important part of a relationship and words are what distance us from the rest of the animal kingdom. Words mean absolutely everything - we learn about each other not just by what is said but how it is said too. Physical gestures can only go so far.

Also, how do you know the person you have a physical relationship is being faithful? There's no certainty there either.

Personally internet relationships are not for me. I just don't really understand your complaints. There isn't a concrete reason to trust someone more in person than online (well, not any old strange, but you know what I mean). I also fail to see why something that is making a person happy is a waste of time. They're still engaging with their partner, just in a different way.

It can be easier to meet people to if you don't have a lot of time to get out and about, or you might meet people with similar interests (on forums, in games) and end up having a much deeper connection then someone you met at a pub. If you don't think internet dating is for you then that's fine, but it's easy to see why other people might prefer it.
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If not on a dating site or a bar, then will I meet my Prince Charming off here? lol... :love:
  • JDviant
    JDviant Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've never had success with online dating, but never a bad experience with it either. Willing to try it again in the future.
  • DarleneBDA
    DarleneBDA Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I met my guy through a dating service. We never talked on line or on the phone... we met at a Singles Camping Weekend that was put together by someone on the dating service. It was love at first sight and we have been together for 4 years. Many of my friends have met the partner on dating services. Its what you make of it... There are great people out there...... but you do have to ween out the losers... just like in person............

good luck to anyone trying out the dating services
  • pancakelizard
    Options

Met my fiance online in World of Warcraft. Been together 3 years and it's hard to imagine life without him.

I would recommend it, if it works for you.
    What is this world of withcraft you speak of?
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    I went out with three different women I met online in the past.Only one looked like a totally different person when we met.One of the ladies I dated for a month,another for about six weeks.We had our fun but we were not looking for a relationship at the time,just fun and hangouts.
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I met my future husband on an internet dating site. You have to be very particular but I think it works!
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didn't believe in it at all--was actually INCREDIBLY opposed to it for myself--until I met my now-husband while doing online interviews for an article I was working on.

I didn't enjoy the apart part of our relationship very much. I found it lacked the kind of intimacy I was used to and it stressed me out. But now, having been married for over a year, I can't say I don't believe in online dating, since it was the only kind of dating feasible to us for the first six months of our relationship.
  • VictorianJade
    VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I believe in internet dating.

Worked for me.