You're SO's Parents (aka in-laws)

Options

Replies

• jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my husband's mother passed away years before we met, so I didn't have the pleasure, but husband said we would have gotten along just fine.
    My father-in-law was a great person, always sweet and kind, handing out money to my sons like it grew on trees : )
    Lost him in November of 2010, miss him.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    its closer to loathing. his mom hates me. esp since i can cook and do better for her son than her. she liked her boys worshiping her. she used it to get them to build fences and do labor for her. now she cant and it pisses her off. we had an outting once already. he took my side of coarse.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    His Father is amazing. Absolute genius. His Mother... is bipolar. Mean as mean can be. I love her, I just don't like her when she refuses her meds and goes off the deep end, which is all the time.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I plead the fifth
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    the outlaws... um, I mean inlaws?????? hhmmmmm
  • HURLEYX3RO
    Options
    Dont get me wrong, I get along with his parents, but I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STAND THE WAY THEY LIVE!!!!

In their (what was nice last year but now is a wreck) 3 bedroom house they have 10 people living there [5 of them being children under 5 years old] and of that whole household only one person works they all live off of the govt.

His mother who has cancer and is on oxygen and has an insulin pump continues to drink and smoke constantly.

His sister just turned 18 and had her 3rd child.

You would think with so many people being home all day that the place would at least be clean... nope.

When we visit I am nice and all keep my cool but internally Im like get me out of this place! Worst feeling ever and he knows this, but he loves his family regardless.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    the outlaws... um, I mean inlaws?????? hhmmmmm

Bahaha.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    mine are better than my actual parents!!
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love them.
    They've done nothing but show constant love and care for me since I was 15 years old. They are truly wonderful people and I am very fortunate to be part of their family. :)
  • JustLena75
    Options
    LOVE my in-laws, including his siblings. I lucked out BIG TIME.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    They go good with ketchup.....
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    It's a love hate thing with mine...they are great they really are but then like today my mother in law helped us by getting one of our kids from school...but then 20 minutes after he should of been home he wasn't. So I called and she got all mad sounding with me when I just asked if he was over his house or did she have running to do?? then she saiy what I can't let him play over my house? I said yes normally not a problem but he is grounded today and for the rest of this week. I just couldn't believe the sound in her voice like I don't have the right to want MY son home when he is in trouble. And to top things off she lives across the street....YAY for me:)

To me it's like yes you helped us but that does not mean you get a say in how the child is raised. He is not yours. It would be like a mother buying her daughter a wedding dress...yes she is putting up the cash and yes she may give her likes and dislikes on it but ultimately it should be the brides pick.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my in-laws!!! They are AWESOME... I feel so blessed..
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Anyone else's MIL try to decorate your house for you?! UGH! I'm the woman of this house NOT her! Stop bringing me tacky @$$ decorations that no where near match!!
  • the_dutchess
    Options
    I'm not married but my boyfriends family treats me like I'm married into the family. I absolutely love my mother in law!!!!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I will just leave it at this:

Not a year goes by that I'm not simply amazed that my man came from those two.
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    My father-in-law is cool. We don't talk much though. My mother-in-law drives me insane so lets not get into that.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My in-laws and my own parents are both gone. My parents loved my husband, but my in-laws weren't crazy about me.

My MIL actually had a difficult relationship with everyone, including her husband. She was verbally abusive and sometimes physically, too. It's one of my regrets that I missed out on having close in-law relationships, but my sisters and brothers-in laws are great for the most part!
  • newmrswood
    Options
    CAN'T STAND THEM, well not always. Sometimes we get along but most of the time...NO! They are always right, ALWAYS, and everyone is wrong. Unfortunatly I work with my F-I-L. My husband is an only child and his mom is attached to him at the hip....drives me crazy. He use to love it, but now his parents are getting on his nerves too. My life is "Everybody Loves Raymond"
  • newmrswood
    Options
    Anyone else's MIL try to decorate your house for you?! UGH! I'm the woman of this house NOT her! Stop bringing me tacky @$$ decorations that no where near match!!

^^^^^THIS!