You're SO's Parents (aka in-laws)

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Do you love or loathe your signifant other's parents?

I happen to love mine.

Errr..I mean his.
    Put it this way: my MIL lived with us for 6 months while my wife was on bedrest during pregnancy. I LOVED IT. But for some reasons many of the people at my former job kept saying "gosh that must have been trying" or "I bet that was a nightmare".
    Both my DW and I get along well with both sides when it comes to in laws and if they needed to stay with us, they are MORE THAN WELCOME.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My husband's parents are wonderful. Mine are crazy.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love mine! Having grown up in an extremely dysfunctional household.. it was refreshing to finally meet some normal parents. They're the most loving, caring people I've ever met. They had every reason to hate me and not want me to marry their son, but they welcomed me with open arms and have been nothing but kind to me for the past 12 years.
  • simoriah_angel
    Options
    i like my wife mother, her father i hate. he called my kids little n words, so everytime I see him i want to deck him

I don't know your FIL (father in law) and already I hate him. Your kids are beautiful!
  • simoriah_angel
    Options
    My inlaws are Mexican and do not speak English...I don't speak Spanish, so there isn't much of a relationship there. They live in Mexico and we live in Indiana, so we only see them when they come here for a few months every couple of years. His dad does funny things and his mom does nothing but clean my house and cook when she's here, so I have no complaints. We hit a rough patch a few years ago and his parents told him to straighten up because he has a good thing, so it's all good!

I couldn't be so lucky with my exes' mom...ugh. She spoke English, I just didn't want to listen to her racist bullcrap (my mother in law was Madea. seriously).
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I love them. They're both awesome people. :)
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my boyfriend's family. They're like teenagers. At every family meal we have (which always includes plenty of drinks), the (STUNNING, young Latina Mom) and everyone else at the table talk and joke about sex, *kitten*, drugs, etc. It's such a trip. Last time his mom told me that cucumbers were better than men because they stayed hard all week, you could pick your size, and you could eat them when you're done with them.

That's his mom's side of the family (Mom, step dad, and three little girls), and on his Dad's side of the family (Dad, step mom, a little boy and a little girl), they're such an adorable, loving, wholesome family. Love them both.
  • lillystargazer
    Options
    I loved my father-in-law (we're not married yet, but we're engaged). He passed away about five months into our relationship. He was a hilarious man. My mother-in-law is a b****. He doesn't like her either. We no longer have anything to do with her. I'm not going to go any further into that, though! :P
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i got along pretty well with my in-laws at the start... my husband is chinese, and they were mostly just shocked he married a foreigner.

now, though... their shock has worn off. my MIL tells me what to wear (down to the brand and what bag i should carry), fusses over the hubs like he's a baby, and has a very holier-than-thou attitude. i am very opinionated and stubborn and take no BS from anyone, and absolutely cannot stand her. i am trying to do the just-ignore-them and fake-smile routine, since they are paying nearly a $100,000 CDN for our wedding and our wedding home is bought and paid for in full... but it's very trying.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Mine absolutely love me, at least her mom does. (not married, but I've been with my girl for 5 years, and all of my coworkers know her mom, because we work at the same company, so people often call her my mother in law). Shes had nightmares about my gf and I breaking up. Kinda crazy, but comforting I guess that she likes me so much
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i like mine alright i guess.... i could handle being around them a lot better before they moved in with us...
    theyre both on disability and cant work, lots of debt and such... at first i was cooking dinner for all of us. it got to the point that i just told them to fix their own meals because theyre so picky. Mother in Law wont eat veal or lamb (not a taste or texture thing, just because 'it was a baby'), neither will eat salmon, Father in law wont eat any green veggies and couldnt have garlic or salt.. they would lie to me about not feeling well or not being hungry when they thought we were having fish, but if i ended up making pork chops with pasta then suddenly they were fine and wanted what i was making (nevermind that it had hella garlic and broccoli). i got sick of telling my kids to eat their veggies even though grandpa wouldnt. the last straw came when i made chicken with chili verde sauce one night - he likes salsa so i figured he would like it (even though its green) he actually had the balls to say "ew" when his plate was put in front of him. he later tried to say it was a joke... so now they just eat frozen dinners every night (only the kind that can be microwaved in the garage - god forbid they come up and use the kitchen)
    hes diabetic and doesnt monitor it at all. his normal fluid intake for the day is at least 12 sodas (mostly diet, some not), 8 oz of fat free milk mixed with carnation instant breakfast and chocolate syrup. sometimes he'll mix coke and chocolate syrup.. hes been known to drink 3 large mango pineapple smoothies from mcdonalds in a day.. though he usually orders two (at least once a week). 44oz slurpee/slushy almost every night.. when they first moved in and were trying to get used to living on such a small budget, they asked us how we did it. well, we cut out anything unnecessary.. soda/snacks etc. he said "well..thats not gonna happen" ..he would rather not pay his bills than drink less pop i guess. they both snack on cookies and chips and crackers all day. his lunch used to be a 16 oz container of cottage cheese every day, but i dont know if he does that anymore..
    they both used to come upstairs a couple times to day for different reasons - now they pretty much stay in their room to the point that they both almost have anxiety attacks if they need to leave the house. mother in law cant come upstairs anymore because it drains her energy so much.. she came up christmas day to watch the girls open presents and have breakfast, but she couldnt come up for dinner 10-12 hours later. my husband has to drive them to their dr appointments because they just cant handle it. it drives me crazy that neither one take care of themselves. he uses the excuse that his body is different from normal peoples and exercise just wears him out too much (he has some rare-unnamed condition thats been studied at the university since the 80s).. and she just lets him do whatever he wants to keep him happy. hes actually told us that he doesnt want to live as long as possible - which is just peachy considering he has grandkids, im sure theyd be happy to know he doesnt care to watch them grow up. theyre not even that old...shes like 57 and hes 63.
  • ElisaMarie82
    Options
    Absolutely love! My mother-in-law was the one I chose to stand by me when I gave birth to my sons. I have the best in-laws anyone could ever dream of!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    This year is 10 years since my parents passed away (within 6 months of each other).

Only recently have I gone from calling her Mom by her first name to just "Mom".

Her parents are awesome, broken, like all of us, but awesome !
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i like both of them :)
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    My MIL is crazy. She is always making rude comments towards me or talks bad about me to her family and then tells my husband what they all said. She has never liked me because I am not Polish. She is the one reason why I ever considered not marrying him but in the end I chose love over her psychoticness.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    They drive us NUTS! Yes, my husband too! I think they're both manic.

Now my grandparent-in-laws, are amazing. They're have my <3...and I think hubby's mother can't stand that! *wicked laugh*

you must be my twin! same here but not married yet!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My mother inlaw damn near put me in the hospital on three separate occasions with MASSIVE MAJOR food poisoning.... dear GAWD I wasnt a happy camper, and it was the WORST feeling I had ever had.... Im telling you - YOU DONT WANT salmonella poisoning.....

***rocks back and forth in the fetal position
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    My FIL is dead (and he wasn't really a part of my husband's life). My MIL is still alive, but neither one of us talk to her. She is a toxic person and has apparently always been super bitter and hateful. We just can't be around it. It kinda sucks, though... My dad is not in my life (haven't seen him since I was 3), and my mom is dead. So we have 2 kids that don't have any grandparents. I'm an only child, and my husband's only brother was killed in Afghanistan a little over a year ago. Sometimes it's a little lonely just having the 4 of us. But it's far better than dealing with toxic in-laws, IMO.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my boyfriend's parents. They're so nice, generous and totally make me feel at home. His extended family are awesome too. I love family gatherings at their place.
  • MumOfGirlsOnly
    MumOfGirlsOnly Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My in laws are bitter horrible people who have tried for 13 years to destroy my marriage. They told my SIL that she should never had children and her own mother should have aborted her. They told my children that I was a slut who tricked their dad into staying with me by having kids and I ruined how happy they were as a family. Never mind that until DH and I started dating he hadn't seen them in 3 years since he came home from school and found his mother had moved out and left them with an alcoholic father. The only reason he spoke to them was we had a baby and he thought they should know. Nothing but trouble they are, glad they are out of our lives