No, "it" isn't an open invitation for you to ....

Options

Replies

• cheriechester2000
    Options
    I work in a doctors office. When I run into you in the grocery store, please don't lift your shirt and show me your rash. I also don't carry the schedule with me, so "No., I don't know if the doctor has any openings on Monday. Call the office Monday morning and find out"
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    For me it is totally "My damn heels are none of your freakin' business" It never fails, I work in the courthouse so yes I wear heels everyday. I am taking like three or four inches tops. It never fails that some pain in the neck loser said "Oh my God honey, how can you walk around in those. Aren't your feet killing you?"
    Seriously, they are shoes, I wear them on my feet, I like them, they are comfortable because I buy great brands! And NO I do not feel like explaining that when I see a stranger. I mean really the ones I had on yesterday were two inches high, seriously people I am five one and I need all the help I can get...HA
  • ktaft77
    ktaft77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When my kids were babies, random strangers in the store would touch their faces or ask to hold them... WTH... I dont know you, dont touch my baby!! Now that my kids are all grown and have kids, I notice the same thing with my grandkids?? Seriously?
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have dreadlocks and people will just reach out and grab a fistful of my hair. Better yet, someone at the bar started pressing down on my head so hard my face went into my drink because "they feel funny."

-EWWWWWWWWWWWW, don't you get those by not washing?

No, you get them by not brushing. You still wash them. Then you pull them apart when they stick together. Then, in a year or so, you have dreads.

-I HEARD YOU HAVE TO COMB YOUR HAIR BACKWARDS AND IT TAKES LIKE 8 HOURS AND ALSO PUT WAX IN THEM.

Those aren't dreadlocks, those are big knots with wax melted in them for people who just want dreadlocks because of how they look and will cut them out in two years because they are 'sick of the upkeep' (nevermind that real dreadlocks require less maintenance the more mature they get)

-I could NEVER do that to myself! Why would you do that if you're just going to cut them all off when you change your mind?

Because dreadlocks mean a lot of different things to different people. to me they are a commitment to my self-esteem and natural beauty and a reassurance to others that they are beautiful no matter what they choose to do. Eliminating the vanity issues of hair brought me to a really good place emotionally and spiritually. Thanks for asking.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes I have boobs and don't live in turtle necks because they make me look fat so....

Yes 'it' is cleavage but no it doesn't give you an excuse to stare, point, touch, or talk to it!

This! This, this, this, this, this!

Yes I get this all the time and it pisses me off. It is totally a jealousy thing, consider the source next time someone comments on your choice of top my MIL does this all the time or looks at them and rolls her eyes. Ha LOL!
  • electrokate
    Options
    I've got tattoos. People like to ask about them. Maybe three our four times in the six years I've had this, has someone actually grabbed my arm and said, "HEY LEMME SEE THAT!" for that instance, I'll just gently twist my arm out and tell them I'd be more than happy to show them as long as we look and not touch.

I absolutely don't mind talking tattoos with someone or listening to how they feel i've ruined my life, (you'll never get a real job or get married! oh but i have!), or even explaining my tattoo. I knew when I emblazoned my arm with what can only be described as a flaming tornado, flaming turkey leg, or flaming giraffe (all depending on what direction my arm is held in), that I was setting myself up to be the object of curiosity from strangers. It goes with the territory. You can't change how curious people will react but you can decide how you will respond to them.

Either you can be a jerk or you can be friendly and open, thus not perpetuating that all people with tattoos are anti-social deviants. Whether you like it or not, being tattooed makes you part of the tattooed community and how you act effects how others view us. I'd rather be nice than be a jerk.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I am a Vegan.

IT is not an invitation for you to critique my lunch, my diet, my lifestyle, or what shoes I may be wearing. It is not an invite for you to tell me all the reasons that YOU just "cannot give up cheese!"

I have NEVER walked over to someone else at lunch, and started asking them what they are eating, and why. Just ignore my food, okay, and I'll ignore yours.

Thank you.
  • electrokate
    Options
    You should put Christmas lights on your head." I, uh... what? What do you even say to that?!

"I thought about it, but where would I plug them in!"

lol

I love old people. they crack me up with their decades off humor.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ok i got one

Yes my husband is in the military, yes its hard, no i cant tell you where he is or when he will be back, its for only me to know, i have no info on anything important so stop asking me a million and one questions about what he does HE does it not me. Yesi know you could not be on a submarine not many can lol. Yes my kids miss him and yes we do a lot of things on our own why must you bring it up in front of my kids for them to ask you about it. I get this so so often and it gets old fast lmao

this is usually people that see me often like people who work in stores or restaurants i go to and notice i have a ring but never a husband lmao Or for those who i just meet and ask if i am married and where he is all the time.

My husband is a submariner too and I get sooooo sick of being asked so many questions. And it really sucks to try to explain it over and over so I've tried just saying "I don't want to discuss it" and then they assume my marriage is in trouble and ask me all about that.

I've learned from this thread that a.) people are very rude and b.) they seem to be oblivious to the fact that they're being rude
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am a hairstylist:

1) No, I don't want to bring my scissors with me to the next family function, hoilday get together or friendly back yard barbabcue to give you or your child a hair cut...see my at the salon, or call me and I will come to you when i am not out trying to relax and have fun...not to mention that the hair I just cut gets all over me, you and the kitchen.

2) Don't color your hair at home and then call me at home or text me to fix it, over the phone! I cannot see it or you and what you are describing doesn't make any sense....

3) when I am at the gym, movies, or a PTA function don't ak me what you should do with your hair...cut, color, etc, and then go to your own stylist to have them do it...
  • admanMike
    admanMike Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Although i don't have an "it" ...(don't really have strangers approach me)...maybe i'm just uninteresting, but I gotta say i loved nleishers post! Enjoyed a lot of the others too. Honest, interesting and fun reading!
  • jonbobfrog
    Options
    I LOVE IT when people ask me about my tattoos/ piercings and show me theirs. I don't mind answering questions or even telling them how much it cost. I got my tattoos because I think they're pretty and obviously I want other people to notice them and think they're pretty too!
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    Mine is when people find out I sing opera and ask me to sing something "right NOW!!" First of all, no. Second of all, if I'm not warmed up, there is no way that I am going to risk harming myself vocally just to satisfy your curiosity.

The other part to that annoyance is that then they automatically think I'm a snob. No, I'm not, I just feel like I was given this talent for a reason and therefore should take care of it :flowerforyou:

ETA: Those "friends" that think I should sing or play the piano at their event for free. I played a wedding once for a friend (it was my first), took 40 hours of practice to get everything perfect, and they gave me a gift basket with lotion in it. Umm no. My time is just as valuable as yours. Appreciate that. Thanks.

Now I make sure to tell them immediately how much it will cost :laugh:
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Literally happened again just yesterday....

I work at a bar and people will ask "Do you do anything else?" "Are you in school?" "Did you ever think you'd grow up to be a cocktail waitress?"

I'm 25 and in college blowtard.. I know it must totally blow your mind that a student would need to work to pay their student loans these days...

And yes I'm skinny... and no I'm not anorexic.. Yes I eat food.. What did I have to eat today? Everything.. I actually eat a lot. Now you're grabbing my wrist and showing everyone how funny it is that you can wrap your fingers all the way around and touch your middle finger to your thumb. No I don't need you to order me some food because I "need to eat something." I run alot and care about my weight and try to eat healthy because I GASP, want to be healthy and like to run. Again, no I do not want some of your sandwich. Thanks anyway though!!!

Cheers! :drinker:
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    in answer to the OP, i too have a full sleeve and various other visible tattoos and clearly rock the 50s pinup rockabilly look.

265099_10100650521207130_4904246_63173100_6022210_n.jpg

This ^

1) do i do burlesque? - my answer for this now is always "for the right money i'd consider most lines of work"
    2) yes i work with technology and specifically cellphones, but no i cant fix your voicemail/text message/app issue.
    3) yes my eyelashes are real, i dont wear false eyelashes daily do i?
    4) No they arent real, no you cant feel them and please do try not to stare if you can (boobs)

Yack.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    not sure if this counts.... but

"it's" not okay to assume just because I am tall for a chick that I play basketball or volleyball.

my sport is soccer, thanks!

YES!! My poor son has the same problem. He's tall but he's never been into sports and people always think he's good at basketball. He's always loved cooking and art. He's currently attending the Art Institute of Seattle.
  • Kassileigh
    Kassileigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My accent,

It's a long story... but I've lived in England for a while and have just moved BACK to the USA...

1. Are you english? No
    2. Then why do you sound English? I don't/ it's a long story/ I guess I just picked it up/ blah blah blah
    3. Repeating words I say because you think they sound "cute" and "britishy"
    4. So what's England like, have you met the queen, how is different from here???

and just the general attitude people give me, I feel sometimes like a foreigner back in my own country.

Even if I do sound slightly different, do you have to hyper focus on the way I sound or could you perhaps listen to the content of what I'm saying? It's exhausting. And it's lead to me just keeping my mouth shut in front of new people. Double edged sword, now everyone think I'm just cold and b****y

I've lived in the UK for over 15 years now-moved here in my mid-20's...I apparently sound 'so Canadian' but when I go home I sound 'So English'...Well, I don't know where I am but I always say it's Mid-Atlantic now... And for the record
    1. I am miles away from London
    2. I'm sure you do have family in Canada, almost everyone does.
    3. Yes, I have lost my accent.
    4.No, I'm not American
    5. Because I wanted too, thanks.
    6. Yes, I do like it here.
    7. Yes, Winter is colder in Canada
    8. Yes, I would move back-if I could...(divorce/kids/British father-you get the drift)
    9. No, I haven't met the Queen
  • Kassileigh
    Kassileigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a hairstylist:

1) No, I don't want to bring my scissors with me to the next family function, hoilday get together or friendly back yard barbabcue to give you or your child a hair cut...see my at the salon, or call me and I will come to you when i am not out trying to relax and have fun...not to mention that the hair I just cut gets all over me, you and the kitchen.

2) Don't color your hair at home and then call me at home or text me to fix it, over the phone! I cannot see it or you and what you are describing doesn't make any sense....

3) when I am at the gym, movies, or a PTA function don't ak me what you should do with your hair...cut, color, etc, and then go to your own stylist to have them do it...

Oh, this one for me too! Lol!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Africa, been living in Canada for 11 years and don't sound Canadian at all, so I often get the:

"so where are you from?" - Vancouver....
    "no, really!". OK, South Africa..
    Oh, Africa!....uhm...no, SOUTH Africa - Africa is the continent, South Africa is the country...You are not from North America, you are from Canada/ the USA....
    "Oh....But you're not black?" uhm...no, very little sunshine around here - and I was born with a pale skin....
    "But you're from AFRICA!!" :sad: :explode:
    And then the final one that makse me want to eat a whole pizza and TWO bottles of red wine...
    "so, how long have you been in South Africa?":flowerforyou: - Uhm, since I was born many many moons ago...
    "so, how long have your parents lived there?" that basically leads to me tracing back my South African ancestry to 1652, which normally leads to a talk about the weather.....:laugh:

I actually told one woman one day that I was black before I came here, but am now as pale as a fish due to the lack on sunshine in Vancouver....She nodded politely and said "wow. poor you..." :bigsmile: