• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    i got this from http://nutritiondata.self.com/

one whole egg of 243g= 347 calories and 24g fat
    egg whites to equal 243g=117 calories and 0g fat

make your choice :happy:

to me 24g of fat equals an average of 3 meals worth of fat
    and 1 egg white is only 16 calories with no fat and cholesterol and 4 grams of protein. I eat the whites with lots of veggies.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's less calories and I sort of got into the habit of eating only the egg white when I was making hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I'm not a fan of the yolk! Then to make scrambled eggs or omelets I used just egg whites and I love them! Since I got into the habit of it, I do it all the time now.
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Depending on who you ask, the whites are better in terms of cholesterol. White are also INSANE low on calories where as the yolks are not. When I was in high school I had high cholesterol so I tend to go easy on yolks (as well as milk, cheese, red meat) just to be safe.:)
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    i got this from http://nutritiondata.self.com/

one whole egg of 243g= 347 calories and 24g fat
    egg whites to equal 243g=117 calories and 0g fat

make your choice :happy:

to me 24g of fat equals an average of 3 meals worth of fat

I eat egg whites, but did not realize it was that huge of a difference!!!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    They're hungry?
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Same as some of the above, reducing my fat intake. If i want more than one egg, i have a whole egg plus egg whites. 5g of fat in the yolk.
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like the whole egg, too. There are many great nutrients in there.:) I have 2 whole eggs every morning, fresh from our chickens that are spoiled and live in our big backyard!!! Whoever said they are like little drops of heaven, is right!!! I never knew there was that much difference till we bought chickens!! The shells are hard as a rock, and the yolks are really dark!! Healthy chickens=healthy eggs!!!
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I'm not understand where you got your information because I read on the egg carton that 1 whole egg is 70 calories.
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It is called high protien low fat....
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Because they have fewer calories than whole eggs and are filling.

Here is an easy way to boil them. It took me a while to get it right but I couldn't stand 'green' yolks. ack!

Gently place enough eggs to cover the bottom of a sauce pan.
    Cover with water, bring to a boil but not so hard that they break.
    Turn the temp down and GENTLY boil for 10 minutes.
    Remove from heat, set timer for 10 minutes.
    Cool down immediately, shell (if desired) and put in frig.

I like to peel mine before I put them away, that way it's easier to just grab one when I'm having a craving.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Ahh, welcome to fat bashing 101. I eat whole eggs unless i'm coming in high on cals. There is no--repeat no-- reason to stay away from yolks as they do not raise cholesterol. :)

That said, again, for calorie reasons, you might want to forego the yolk. For me, though, I eat at least two eggs (whole) a day--sometimes three. My cholesterol has gone DOWN since I upped my eggs and meat (and veggies) and lowered carbs. Go figure.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'll only eat egg yolks if they're hard boiled. I don't like yolks in my eggs if it's scrambled or an omelette.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm not understand where you got your information because I read on the egg carton that 1 whole egg is 70 calories.

My eggs are only 60 calories , I think they are measuring a couple of eggs.

Because even when I go crazy and have 3 eggs , I don't even reach the 200 calories.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I do a little of both. There is lots of good stuff in Egg Yolks and they taste awesome.. but thats also where most of the calories are. If I have a lot of cals to work with I'll do a couple whole eggs and a couple whites. If I'm trying to keep within a certain calorie amount, I just have a bunch of whites.
    One large whole egg typically has 75 cals. One Large egg white - 17. It all comes down to the numbers for me.
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Plain egg whites are extremely unsatisfying to me, but they are a very healthy source of protein. I use PASTEURIZED egg whites in my smoothies for additional protein.
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think people do it to get the protein with less of the fat, but bleah! I'd just as soon eat rubber bands. Also I hate the idea of wasting 1/2 of every egg that our poor chickens have worked so hard to make. I only do it if I have a plan in mind for using up the yolks some other way. Which is basically never.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I used to do egg white-only omelets, but I started just using the whole egg for several reasons:

- It's more calories with the yolk yes, but it's also more protein and nutrients, so I figure it'll keep the hunger away a bit longer
    - I felt bad tossing out perfectly good yolks, and the egg whites in a carton creep me out, yuck.
    - I've never really had a problem with cholesteral to my knowledge, and I don't eat eggs that often, so why not

Sometimes I'll make an omelet that's 1 egg + 2 whites if I want to save my fat calories for some goat cheese in it instead of the second yolk :)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    for me it's just because I hate the taste of egg yolk unless its in a deviled egg.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The tolk has more calories. I personally just don't like yolks...I usually have 2 whites and 1 whole egg. I always cook up the yolks and feed them to my dogs haha!