Realizing your S.O. was the 'one' :)

Options

Replies

• Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Mine is a story that's spanned over 9 years....!

I met him when I was 17, online, we were long distance until we met about 6 months after initially chatting. I knew I liked him a lot, he liked me, and when we first locked eyes at the airport... That was it, a done deal.

HOWEVER, after about a year or so of long distance, we realised that because I was so young, our future prospects looked bleak. I was underqualified and didn't want to get married straight away. With a lot of heartbreak on both sides we decided to part ways.

SEVEN YEARS LATER: He finds me on facebook, I'm in my final year of university, he's in the US Navy. We talk over skype (another amazing innovation which didn't exist back in our initial relationship) and we realise... Nothing has changed.
    I'm still as smitten as I was when I was a teenager, and he's still the same sweet, wonderful man he was all that time ago.
    We're planning a trip together in July, to see if the magic is still there! I really hope it all works out, and if it doesn't, I will be glad I took the chance.

That is very sweet, I hope your trip goes well!! :bigsmile:
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My story with my husband spans 20 years. I had a huge crush on him when I was 18 years old, and he was 23. We had mutual friends and would see each other often, and one night we kissed. Shortly after this, however, he moved to Colorado and I went back to college. I often wondered about what had happened to him, but life goes on....fast forward 12 years, and I move back to my hometown with my young daughter Lily. Being a single parent, and coming out of a bad relationship, I really have no desire to date but my best friend convinces me to just look on an on-line dating site. Normally I only looked at profiles that had pictures of the guy, but there was one profile that really drew me in....no picture, but I loved what he wrote. So, we started exchanging emails, but no full names given. Finally we decide to email a picture, and you guessed it.....it was the guy I had a huge crush on 12 years earlier! We couldn't believe that we had reconnected this way...I think from the moment I saw his picture appear on my screen, I knew he was the one I was meant to be with. But we took things slow and formed a really solid friendship first. Been together now 8 years, married for five. :)
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My story with my husband spans 20 years. I had a huge crush on him when I was 18 years old, and he was 23. We had mutual friends and would see each other often, and one night we kissed. Shortly after this, however, he moved to Colorado and I went back to college. I often wondered about what had happened to him, but life goes on....fast forward 12 years, and I move back to my hometown with my young daughter Lily. Being a single parent, and coming out of a bad relationship, I really have no desire to date but my best friend convinces me to just look on an on-line dating site. Normally I only looked at profiles that had pictures of the guy, but there was one profile that really drew me in....no picture, but I loved what he wrote. So, we started exchanging emails, but no full names given. Finally we decide to email a picture, and you guessed it.....it was the guy I had a huge crush on 12 years earlier! We couldn't believe that we had reconnected this way...I think from the moment I saw his picture appear on my screen, I knew he was the one I was meant to be with. But we took things slow and formed a really solid friendship first. Been together now 8 years, married for five. :)

OMG! that is fate right there! it was meant to be
  • ax150
    ax150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What a nice topic..
    Our moment happened for us at the same time. About 5 months into dating he had an accident at work and had to get rushed to the hospital. I met him there and the doctors eventually sent him home for a few hours before he had to go back in for surgery. Even though it wasnt a major surgery it hit me that there was a possibility I could lose him and I realized in that moment I couldnt live without him and told him. He replied that he couldnt either and knew that he wanted to marry me. About a year ago we were married :-)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    The very first day I met him. :) We met online by chance, talked for hours and hours that night about anything and everything. I wasn't quite sure why, but I went to bed thinking about him and envisioning a future together--which was silly to me! I didn't really talk to him the day after we met, but then the next day, January 15, 2010, he had written me the sweetest thing anyone has ever written pretty much ever. I realized I loved him as much as he loved me, and we were both so unbelievably happy the other felt the same. What are the chances of randomly being connected to someone on the Internet by PURE chance (no dating site), 1200 miles away, that you immediately connect with, and you BOTH fall head over heels for each other? Neither of us are very spiritual, but we knew this was meant to happen.

We are now living together and he proposed to me this past Thanksgiving. I said yes, of course. :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Woahhhh that is so cool! :D
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    So awesome coming back from my workout and seeing all of your wonderful stories. So romantic!
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    The first time I met my now husband we were both in unhealthy relationships. Our first conversation was me telling him that he should never get married. A year later we got married LOL. A couple of months after we first met we were both single and starting 'talking'. The first night we hung out we talked from about 8 pm till 4 am on my couch...nothing else just talk. After that, I knew he was the one. :heart:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I knew on our very first real date, and I told my father.
    He just grunted something.
    At age 16, we were engaged.
    31 years later, here we are, 5 kids, a life and still knockin; boots.

Not Bad:smooched:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    The first time I met my now husband we were both in unhealthy relationships. Our first conversation was me telling him that he should never get married. A year later we got married LOL. A couple of months after we first met we were both single and starting 'talking'. The first night we hung out we talked from about 8 pm till 4 am on my couch...nothing else just talk. After that, I knew he was the one. :heart:

Love those all-nighters! There are few people I feel totally comfortable *really* talking to about anything. My bf is one of them. We can talk forever!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I knew on our very first real date, and I told my father.
    He just grunted something.
    At age 16, we were engaged.
    31 years later, here we are, 5 kids, a life and still knockin; boots.

Not Bad:smooched:

CUUUUTE!
  • mommyrana
    mommyrana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I knew almost immediately! a super cute guy started working with me in feb.... i went on the 1st date with my now hubby on march 24 we were married on april 17th same year. we will celebrate 9 years of marriage this year. when you know you know right? we adore each other, and I know we will spend many many many more years of blissful marriage together! :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I knew almost immediately! a super cute guy started working with me in feb.... i went on the 1st date with my now hubby on march 24 we were married on april 17th same year. we will celebrate 9 years of marriage this year. when you know you know right? we adore each other, and I know we will spend many many many more years of blissful marriage together! :)

Wow! :D I love hearing stories like this where everything is certain right away. I know that people were probably like "You just met, blah blah" and you really showed them haha! :wink:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    well, three months into our relationship, I turned up pregnant even though I was on birth control shots and not supposed to be able to have children. No antibiotics, nothing messed up, I just got pregnant. Four months after our baby was born and I had gained a hundred pounds he proposed so I could have medical insurance. We are about to celebrate our 8 yr anniversary, and our 7th wedding anniversary and we are still crazy about each other.

I think the answer to your question was about last New Year's Eve. Nothing has driven him away and we even had another baby in there too. We are great friends and well matched in everything. I can finally let my guard down and say honestly, I found my guy. The only guy for me!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the concept of "the one." There are probably other compatible people out there for me, my husband just happens to be the one I have in my life. That said, he's my best friend, and after a while (a couple of years) I began to truly believe that we could build a life together.
  • KariePerez
    Options
    From the moment we met!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I knew the minute I met him. I knew he watched me walk home from school every day...( he worked in a store a block from my house and I had to walk by everyday on my way home from cheer practice) He was two years older than me.
    One day, being the super outspoken person that I am, I marched right in the store and introduced myself. He turned beat red, he had the most beautiful blue eyes and he said yes, ma'am to a lady he was helping in the store.....I knew that moment that he would be mine.
    We started dating in october. I was not "old enough" to date according to my parents...I was 15 he was 17 so he would come to my house every Friday night and suffer through movies with me and my parents and all my siblings! FINALLY the 16th birthday came...in JUNE! and we had our first date after he waited for 8 months to take me on a date!
    We've been together nearly every day since October 1994. We were married in October of 1998 4 years to the day that he asked me to be his girlfriend and only 17 months after I graduated from High School.( of course EVERYONE, including my own parents, said it would never last).
    BUT here we are 17 years later, married for 13 years, 3 kids, and still crazy, madly in love with each other.
    I think we have only spent about 14 nights apart from each other total in the past 13 years of marriage. Wherever he goes, I go. He is my everything.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Pretty much immediately!
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The first time i meet my hubbie i thought i had just made a good new friend, the 2nd time we meet we felt sparks of it becoming a lot more. third time and we were all in and have been every since. 17 years married now. ..
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I don't believe in the concept of "the one." There are probably other compatible people out there for me, my husband just happens to be the one I have in my life. That said, he's my best friend, and after a while (a couple of years) I began to truly believe that we could build a life together.

Oh I mentioned this earlier...I don't mean there's only one, just that you decided your SO at the time was the one you wanted to marry. :)