Worst negative comment about your weight?

Options

Replies

• Myrtlemama4
    Myrtlemama4 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think what saddens me about this topic, is that it seems the awful comments come from our parents? I hope I learn enough from my own parents stupid comments to know that putting you down, doesnt build up your self esteem. I refuse to do that to my boys..I am so sorry you guys went thru all of that. I seriously am. I went thru it too.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    oh here is one, I was at the grocery store with my 4day old daughter (she was in the carseat in the cart that I was pushing" and a lady happens to start conversation with me about how lucky I am that I don't have much longer until I give birth (cause it was hot outside). I was like" I'm not pregnant! This is my baby right here" I mean how pathetic is that! lol
    Same thing happened to me!! My daughter was a week old in the stroller I'm pushing and this chick asks me when I'm due! I said "A week ago." And pointed in the stroller. lol DUH!!!

I had a guy ask to buy me a drink in a bar that I was actually working in one night. I said no thanks(I was on the clock lol) he says, "Oh, because of the baby?" I said "WHAT baby?" and stared at him for a second before storming away. lol THAT was before I gained weight! I was 130lbs with a flat stomache! I never wore that sweater again though. lol
  • sunshine91479
    sunshine91479 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I remember the main reason as to why I am so self conscious of my weight in the first place. My brother was roughly 14 and I was around 9 or 10. My brother was someone I always looked up to and always took care of me. But still he did it. He had walked by me and said " suck it in " It's not cute to see your gut. At the time I wasn't very big at all and was maybe 100 pounds. But all through high school I never got over 125 and had issues with eating. I loved to eat but wouldn't eat very much because I would worry about gaining weight. And to all those out there who have been teased or ridiculed about any of the weight issues. I think those who pick on us have low self esteem themselves so they have to pick on others to feel better.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    "When are you due?"

And my ankles swell--so that didn't help the situation.
  • HanneK
    HanneK Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My little nephew at the age of 4 asked me if I had a baby in my belly. And I said no. The he asked me why my belly was so big then.
    He was very interested in bellies at that time because his best friends mother was due in a month and had a big belly.
    My sister and I started laughing, because I had lost 20 lb. And my sister said that he asked everyone that question no matter the size of the belly.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My mum when talking about some guy
    He said to her look at her stuffing her face fat cow
    I asked how big was she my mum replied she was bigger than you!

Sad thing is mum mums 56lbs overweight too Pot calling the kettle black
  • hoosier_red
    Options
    Oh, so many to choose from.

Upon hearing that I was going to be a bridesmaid for a friend's wedding and the dresses would be dark red, my mother said, "Oh, you're going to look like the side of a barn."

Another Mom comment: "It doesn't matter how pretty you are -- if you don't have a nice body, boys won't date you." And then she wondered why I never wore makeup -- well, why bother, Mom, since apparently I'm hideous.

The gynecologist who, in mid exam WITH HIS HAND UP MY HOO-HOO, commented that I needed to lose weight. He's damn lucky that I didn't do a killer Kegel right then and there and crush his hand.

But at the other end of the spectrum, let me say this -- I was having lunch one day with a coworker and talking about some of the **** my mother said to me over the years. Suddenly, this gorgeous Englishman shows up next to our table and says, "I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I couldn't help overhearing what you said, and I just wanted to tell you that you're absolutely beautiful." Awwwwww!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Oh, so many to choose from.

Upon hearing that I was going to be a bridesmaid for a friend's wedding and the dresses would be dark red, my mother said, "Oh, you're going to look like the side of a barn."

Another Mom comment: "It doesn't matter how pretty you are -- if you don't have a nice body, boys won't date you." And then she wondered why I never wore makeup -- well, why bother, Mom, since apparently I'm hideous.

The gynecologist who, in mid exam WITH HIS HAND UP MY HOO-HOO, commented that I needed to lose weight. He's damn lucky that I didn't do a killer Kegel right then and there and crush his hand.

But at the other end of the spectrum, let me say this -- I was having lunch one day with a coworker and talking about some of the **** my mother said to me over the years. Suddenly, this gorgeous Englishman shows up next to our table and says, "I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I couldn't help overhearing what you said, and I just wanted to tell you that you're absolutely beautiful." Awwwwww!

dont you just love mum comments ?
    You are beautiful anyway so the guy was right x
  • kirstand
    Options
    I hate how people (me too) can say you're 'skinny' to your face but when you get fatter they never say you're 'fat' to your face!!!
    plus, my 14 y/o son gives me a hard time about weighing my food...apparently "no-one does it and it's weird and stupid".
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I hate how people (me too) can say you're 'skinny' to your face but when you get fatter they never say you're 'fat' to your face!!!
    plus, my 14 y/o son gives me a hard time about weighing my food...apparently "no-one does it and it's weird and stupid".
    To be fair he is 14 and you're his mother. I'm pretty sure he would say that about any number of things.
    But as to the other part I agree. i got up to 180 with people telling me I wasn't fat. It took an ex to tell me he liked me how I was, but wanted me to be healthy to get me to first see that my weight wasn't where I wanted it to be, but I could change it around on my own.
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    Options
    I've had so many negative comments that I don't even know where to start.

How about the ones that stick out most?

Well, my mother said so many nasty things to me so continiously, from the moment my memories start that I ended up in hospital with a serious eating disorder.

I recovered and ended up reaching 218 lbs and I decided that it was time to lose weight. When I was at about 200 lbs, I was eating a SALAD and a bunch of boys from the local school walked past and started yelling abuse at me. That I shouldn't be eating anything because I was so huge and disgusting.

I went to an Abs Blast class and the instructor made a comment, while looking directly at me, that some people may struggle to do the next exercise because their stomachs would be in the way. You bet my *kitten* I f'ing complained and she now doesn't have her job.

When going swimming, after having lost a fair amount of weight (about 50lbs) and the only swimsuit that I had that fitted (and looked somewhat good on me) was a tankini with a low cut top. Boobs galore. My ex's brother told me that I looked like a fat hooker.

There's plenty more, but I don't have the energy.

I guess the most negative comments that I hear all come from myself. Thanks for planting and nurturing that little voice inside me, mother.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I was asked by a custoemr at the bank if I was pregnant, when I said no he actually fought with me saying I was lying to him and why cant I admit i'm having a baby. I told him In a nice but stern dont f**** with me voice, I am not pregnant. His reply......Oh sorry I guess you really stopped caring and packed a ton of weight on then!! really?????? Any time I have motovational issues I think ofthat comment, about 25lbs down from then!!:smooched:

Whatta @sshat! :angry:

I never really heard anything while I was fat...except from my daughter lol
    I get insulted more now.
    "You're head looks too big for your body"
    "You're a good looking woman, but if you had bigger boobs you'd look a lot better"
    "Why's your chest look so boney"
    "You're not proportional anymore"

Seriously????? screw em, you look awesome!!!!!
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Someone put a Post-It on my back that read "wide load" and they made beeping sounds like a truck backing up. Then again, that was middle school. My ex used to say he was proud of me for losing weight (60lbs) but I still needed to lose more and tone. Sounds semi-supportive, but in reality he was pretty abusive during the whole process and only gave me back-handed compliments.

My sister used to get the worst of it from our family. She was 200+ and now she's 140ish. My dad recently tells her, "You lost a lot of weight, but you still have a fat *kitten* and fat legs. But guys like that, so it's okay."

SO. WRONG. ON. SO. MANY. LEVELS.
  • Incredible_shrinking_woman
    Options
    Hi, what an awesome thread !
    As for me, i've heard about all of 'em.
    When I was a teen in school, they were just blunt and to the point. . Hey fatty, big *kitten*, chunky, tubby..ect.

As an adult guys told me that I have a cute face, but a chubby waist- i'm hot for a big girl- Just imagine how hot you'd look if you lost about 50 lbs- If you were skinnier you could wear cuter clothes.
    These are hurtful, but I hid my feelings.
    And notice not one of those coments were meant to be helpful.. Like, Hayley, if you don't buckle down and lose weight you could possibly get diabetes, high blood pressure or many other health problems due to obesity. I guess it's easier for people to be mean than caring.

Oh BTW, this is only about the 3rd thread i've posted on so i'll introduce myself really quick- I'm Hayley, from Ohio 29 years old. I'm divorced and I have a 6 year old daughter. I started weighing at 245 and since January 22 I have lost 5 Lbs :) I'm new to MFP and I am always welcoming folks to add me as a friend !
  • justgiggle
    justgiggle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As a kid I was really slender. I looked like a stick and was always underweight. 8th grade year a girl started a rumor the I was anorexic and teachers started watching my eating habits at school and when I went to the bathroom. One teacher even interrogated my friends. After that I was mortified and stuffed my face with food so everyone would be happy and leave me alone. (Never was I anorexic, just small). When I quit gymnastics I continued to eat like this and gained a pretty substantial amount of weight (And inches). I don't know how you all got through your parents saying comments, I knew my mom was concerned about me, but at least she didn't make snide remarks!

I've gotten the "Are you pregnant thing before". One that sticks out as being the most hurtful was when I had just bought a new shirt from the store and wore it to my aunt's house. It was one that tied around your waist, the most slender part of my body. I felt really good bout myself and was having a good day, until my Aunt came up and went, "Be careful wearing that shirt, it makes you look pregnant." I was about 16 at the time and spent the rest of the day dry sobbing in my cousins room.

Recently, I've gotten a lot more in shape and when my grandmother came to see me commented on how she was glad I wasn't turning out like my mother -_-. This really annoyed me as my mom was very slender and fit til she went through her divorce. Then the woman commented about my very loving, wonderful boyfriend and how I shouldn't be with him cause he had gained a lot of weight...(thankful he was out with his friends at the time and not in the room) I told her she wouldn't be welcome if she continued to talk to me like that. It made me really angry and it took everything in me not to kick her to curb right there. Also makes me think of what she though of me before I got in better shape. =/
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I sat on a plastic chair at a birthday party and the leg snapped. Everyone's face said it all.... hostess was gracious but I always sit on ground or porch at outdoor parties now.

Also sad --- "Mom, you're the fattest mom of all the moms in my class."

The plastic chair thing annoys me. Sitting outside at a restaurant, in the sun on a hot day, the legs get melty and weak. 2 of them buckled under me once. you're having a beer and all of a sudden you're on your back looking at the sky and everyone is laughing...Whoa
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    How awful that this thread has spread to 19 pages! Are there really so many mean and thoughtless people in the world?
  • sweetrice12
    sweetrice12 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been married to my husband for five short years. One month into our marriage, my sister in law said to me, "You'd look so much better if you were just 10 lbs lighter."

And though I've been thick all my life, and heard it all my life from my family and my ex, I never felt so insulted. She's not exactly in shape herself. Since then, I never can take a word from her positively. I never feel good about myself when I am around her. Thank God she doesn't live in town.

Can't wait to show it to her.
  • Thaton
    Thaton Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    back in high school my teacher once said it's not over til the fat lady sings and my friend turned around and told me to sing already. I was a lil bit hurt.
  • Hoosier_num1
    Options
    "How much do you weigh?" <
    NEVER ask a female..... WE care!

14835965.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter