4 whole eggs?

Options
I am eating 4 whole eggs a day for breakfast everyday( 7 days a week) I like it because it totally fills me and I feel very satisfied till lunch.
I read some people say it's good, others say bad. Should I stop this?

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    for me i wont eat the egg yolks because im trying to lower my cholesterol. ive lowered it significantly and am almost there with my numbers..im strictly egg whites for now. alot of guys at the gym i know will eat three egg whites and a whole egg ect .. however for you if it works i dont see anything wrong with it so long as you are staying within your guidelines
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Options
    The only thing that's bad I can think of are the cholesterol in the yolks.

I eat 4 hard boiled egg whites and just throw the yolks away.

Maybe just eat 1 with yolk and the rest whites?
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It's giving you a ton of cholesterol every day. Why not do 1 or 2 eggs and the rest egg whites? I actually really like them, and depending on the brand you buy, are just as good as regular scrambled eggs. My cholesterol is high, so i would never do 4 eggs per day. Maybe ask your doc?
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think its ok, I love making scrabbled eggs. I mix 2 or 3 eggs with 1/4 cup chunky salsa and scramble. Then lots of Franks red hot sauce soooooo good
  • Oslobluesky
    Options
    I would think the main consideration would be cholesterol. That can come back to bite you. Perhaps you can substitute something like oatmeal in for two of the eggs. And in theory (but check for yourself) oatmeal has kind of the opposite effect of eggs.
  • Goalsforsusie
    Goalsforsusie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are losing and it is keeping you full - continue!!!
  • There are multiple threads on this topic - both for and against whole eggs - so I would read through those to help formulate your opinion. Personally, I believe that the benefits of whole eggs outweigh the cons (I eat 3 whole eggs for lunch 5 days a week).

Here's a link that lays out the nutritional differences between egg whites and whole eggs in an easy to read chart:

http://www.eggnutritioncenter.org/blog/2011/01/25/whole-eggs-vs-egg-whites/
  • caseye98
    caseye98 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love the liquid eggs...i havent read anything bad about them but I leave a small skillet on the stove, measure 1/2 cup each morning and sometimes even mix in some green peppers, tomato and onion(chopped up for the week) in them...yummy!!
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If your blood cholesterol is in a good range, I would not worry about it. :smile:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol was a little high, so I try to eat more egg whites and less yolks in my scrambled eggs.

I would suggest getting your bloodwork done just to check your cholesterol levels, because if you have high cholesterol and you're eating 4 egg yolks a day, it could be pretty damaging.

It may not be harmful if you're otherwise healthy, but having high cholesterol is definitely something you don't want to deal with, so I'd have it checked out just in case.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Next time you have a health check-up, have them tell you the results of your cholesterol check. If everything is within a healthy range, continue having them! I love whole eggs. :)
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing almost every morning! Scrambled, with a big of skim milk! I love this and it fills me up for so many hours! However, eggs do contain tons of cholesterol. If you have high blood pressure, they aren't all that great for you. They also contain a lot of fat, healthy or not. I buy Egglands best which are around 5g of fat an egg. I say it depends on the person.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I eat 3-4 whole eggs myself and love the satiating factor of it. It is unsubstantiated that dietary cholesterol increases your bad cholesterol.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am eating 4 whole eggs a day for breakfast everyday( 7 days a week) I like it because it totally fills me and I feel very satisfied till lunch.
    I read some people say it's good, others say bad. Should I stop this?
    Cut and paste from the MAYOCLINIC.COM site

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608
    Question

Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol?
    Are chicken eggs good or bad for my cholesterol?

Answer
    from Thomas Behrenbeck, M.D., Ph.D.

Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, and a diet high in cholesterol can contribute to high blood cholesterol levels. However, how much the cholesterol in your diet can increase your blood cholesterol varies from person to person. Although eating too many eggs can increase your cholesterol, eating four egg yolks or fewer on a weekly basis hasn't been found to increase your risk of heart disease.

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.
    If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 200 mg a day.
    One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Eating cholesterol does NOT raise you cholesterol. Ask any low carb/paleo dieter and they'll likely be able to refer to blood work to prove it. The yolk is the tasty part, don't deprive yourself.

Secondly most people may not be aware, but cholesterol is one of the main building blocks of testosterone, not taking in enough dietary cholesterol may inhibit your full potential production, and I'm sure no man wants that to happen.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't eat that many yolks due to the fat.

As for the cholesterol issue, there are studies on both sides of the fence on this one. Firm beleiver that cholesterol levels are mainly hereditary. I pay no mind to cholesterol in my diet and my HDL and LD are fantastic, but that's me.

Tim
  • lori4013
    lori4013 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have 3 eggs for breakfast everyday and it keeps me content til lunch. I love it
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Have you considered egg beaters? They're lower cholesterol than regular eggs and taste pretty good.
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Egg yolks contain tons of vitamins and essential fatty acids (relatively little found in the white). Also despite the fact that eggs contain cholesterol, many studies have now found that eating multiple eggs a day does not increase cholesterol and in fact can have a beneficial impact on cholesterol levels.

To get volume and lower calories and because I enjoy the consistency, I will sometimes add a few tablespoons of egg whites to one or two eggs, rather than eating all whole eggs.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eggs, but yep the cholesterol in the yolks might not be helpful. I eat 1 whole plus 3 whites which makes a huge plateful of eggs and I promise you won't notice the difference!