4 whole eggs?

Options

Replies

• That's too much fat for me to eat in one sitting. I prefer to spread the amount of fat I eat throughout the day...no specific reason for this...just a personal preference :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i buy egg whites in a quart sized carton .. i used to separate the eggs before and it killed me to throw out the yolks because ihate wasting food.. the egg whites in a carton saved me from wasting food
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I LOVE eggs for breakfast. You're totally right-- they keep you full!

I have read that the cholesterol in eggs DOES NOT contribute to serum cholesterol levels in the body. As long as yours is within a healthy range, keep on keepin' on. I know I will!

Viva la egg! :0
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    I think its ok, I love making scrabbled eggs. I mix 2 or 3 eggs with 1/4 cup chunky salsa and scramble. Then lots of Franks red hot sauce soooooo good

we are kindred spirit..i love franks hot sauce !!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have 3 whole eggs on a nearly daily basis and my numbers are better than they were when I wasn't having the eggs.

Dietary cholesterol doesn't have all the effect they previously thought, as your own liver produces it in your body too. Seems to me it was an 80's thing when cholesterol from eggs was demonized... then the 90's it was fat hence all the low / no fat products we have now... and so far in the 00's it's been carbs that are evil... we're due for another shift... maybe it'll be something 'new'

The egg comes with other benefits much like the sugar you get from fruit, we don't yet understand all the interactions with all the micro-nutrients...but I'm going for whole foods as often as I can.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    About a month ago, I stopped separating my yolks. Eggs are getting so expensive. Dr. Travis Stork, Dr. Mehmet Oz, Jorge Cruise, and some other fitness-nutritionist diet gurus are now saying the yolks are good for you and not a contributor to high cholesterol. They may be right. I had bloodwork done last week, and the doc says my numbers are lower than ever! If anything use 2 eggs and 2 eggwhites, will give you the same flavor. Do what works for you!
  • Cgalit
    Cgalit Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the input!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I am eating 4 whole eggs a day for breakfast everyday( 7 days a week) I like it because it totally fills me and I feel very satisfied till lunch.
    I read some people say it's good, others say bad. Should I stop this?

The yolks are the bit you need to be careful about... 4 whole eggs every day is excessive...4 whole eggs a week... acceptable. If you are having more than that, you'll need to scrutinise the rest of your dietary cholesterol because where as you need some dietary cholesterol, obviously too much especially of LDL isn't good for you.

Maybe consider just having the whites and sticking to 4 yolks a week.

There is plenty of good stuff in the yolk. I suggest you find a way of getting your protein in indifferent ways. Be creative, think outside the box. Variation is good in itself anyway for all the micro nutrients and different nutrients you get from different things and in different amounts. Such as CLA in red meat is one of the best sources, yet you could get it in eggs, some mushrooms and poultry etc. Iron is richer in some sources of food than others etc etc.

Variety is the spice of life...
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I am eating 4 whole eggs a day for breakfast everyday( 7 days a week) I like it because it totally fills me and I feel very satisfied till lunch.
    Cut and paste from the MAYOCLINIC.COM site

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608
    Question

Eggs: Are they good or bad for my cholesterol?
    Are chicken eggs good or bad for my cholesterol?

Answer
    from Thomas Behrenbeck, M.D., Ph.D.

Chicken eggs are high in cholesterol, and a diet high in cholesterol can contribute to high blood cholesterol levels. However, how much the cholesterol in your diet can increase your blood cholesterol varies from person to person. Although eating too many eggs can increase your cholesterol, eating four egg yolks or fewer on a weekly basis hasn't been found to increase your risk of heart disease.

When deciding whether to include eggs in your diet, consider the recommended daily limits on cholesterol in your food:

If you are healthy, it's recommended that you limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 300 milligrams (mg) a day.
    If you have cardiovascular disease, diabetes or a high low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") blood cholesterol level, you should limit your dietary cholesterol to less than 200 mg a day.
    One large egg has about 186 mg of cholesterol — all of which is found in the yolk. Therefore, if you eat an egg on a given day, it's important to limit other sources of cholesterol for the rest of that day. Consider substituting servings of vegetables for servings of meat, or avoid high-fat dairy products for that day.

If you like eggs but don't want the extra cholesterol, use only the egg whites. Egg whites contain no cholesterol. You may also use cholesterol-free egg substitutes, which are made with egg whites.

I'd take this with a grain of salt. Refined carbs actually have more effect on LDL cholesterol than dietary cholesterol does. Go figure.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If your cholesterol levels are fine, I wouldn't worry. When we studied cardiovascular disease at university (about 5 years ago for a biochemistry degree) we were told that for various metabolic reasons it was dietary saturated fat that in big quantities would increase bad cholesterol, whereas dietary cholesterol itself was OK.

British Heart Foundation article:

I've heard that eating too many eggs can raise your cholesterol - how many can I eat?

For most people there is currently no limit on the number of eggs that you can eat in a week. However, because the recommendation has changed over the years, it's often a common source of confusion.

In the past a restriction on eggs was recommended because we thought that foods high in cholesterol (including liver, kidneys and shellfish, as well as eggs) could have an impact on cholesterol levels in the body.

However, as research in this area has developed, so has our understanding of how foods that contain cholesterol affect people’s heart health.

For most people, the amount of saturated fat they eat has much more of an impact on their cholesterol than eating foods that contain cholesterol, like eggs and shellfish. So unless you have been advised otherwise by your doctor or dietician, if you like eggs, they can be included as part of a balanced and varied diet.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/high-cholesterol.aspx

Here is another article from the UK's National Health Service (NHS): http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/02February/Pages/Eggsafety.aspx
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    It kind of annoys me that people still toss out perfectly good yolks, especially when even Ancel Keys stated dietary cholesterol does not lead to serum cholesterol.

People need to drop that myth. Even Instructables listed it as one of the top 10 MYTHS that refuse to die. So did Cracked Magazine online at one point.

Having said all that, I eat TONNES of whole eggs.

But because I do, I am sure to buy organic, free range cage and coop free eggs. They are SOOOOOO worth the money for taste and you can just see the difference in that beautiful dark orange yolk instead of a pale almost translucent crappy yolk.

Eat GOOD food, eat REAL food, eat WHOLE FOODS. Your body was designed to eat the yolk so eat. An egg with the yolk is a complete protein, without the yolk it is not. That should be a grand clue.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

I often eat two for breakfast, never had four mind, I think I would feel full before managing to finish them.

Eggs are wonderful and I totally agree with you that they keep you full until lunch.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The yolks are the bit you need to be careful about... 4 whole eggs every day is excessive...4 whole eggs a week... acceptable.

4 eggs a week? LOL I'm guessing that when cooked with other stuff and just eggs that I eat whole I probably eat 2 dozen a week without even thinking about it, sometimes up to 3 dozen if I'm baking (paleo/low carb baking mind you). My last cholesterol test was better than text book perfect too. Eggs have 0 bearing on your overall cholesterol level.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The yolks are the bit you need to be careful about... 4 whole eggs every day is excessive...4 whole eggs a week... acceptable.

4 eggs a week? LOL I'm guessing that when cooked with other stuff and just eggs that I eat whole I probably eat 2 dozen a week without even thinking about it, sometimes up to 3 dozen if I'm baking (paleo/low carb baking mind you). My last cholesterol test was better than text book perfect too. Eggs have 0 bearing on your overall cholesterol level.

I am with this too.

I have not eaten that many in a week, but have eaten two eggs per day for over four months before with a cholesterol measuring 3.9 at the end of that four months.

Eggs are a brilliant food.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of nutrition in the yolk. That said, eating the same thing everyday causes you to miss a lot of other really great foods out there and the nutrients in them. Can you rotate eggs, cooked cereal (oats, rye, barley, millet...), fruit, yoghurt and granola for breakfast?
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    No...eggs are not bad for you. If you like them...eat them.

How a body uses, reacts, responds to cholesterol is largely genetic. Do you have elderly relatives who have clogged arteries from high cholesterol? It maybe worth asking your family how their levels are.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

No, there is nothing wrong with eating the whole egg.
  • bwestfall03
    bwestfall03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ultimately the choice is yours. I don't shy away from eggs but I thought this was an intersting read.

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/whole-eggs-or-egg-whites.html
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread a couple of days ago about Cholesterol.............

It is not the enemy, it is very necessary. Please read.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/469679-what-am-i?error_user_id=15781166&error_username=NatureMade
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i do six whites only every day.
    more for calorie reasons than anything else