What motivated you to begin your weighloss journey?

Options

Replies

• SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Not being able to get into the cute clothing I wanted...Some how when you are bigger the cute clothing are in the smaller size...besides 8yrs going to gym and not knowing how and when to eat....JUST PLAIN TIRED!
  • hpraiano
    hpraiano Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was just sick of being heavy, and hating what I saw in the mirror. I want to feel comfortable with myself. I have 72 pounds to go, and I figured that I need to get it all off now while I'm young!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Lots of things but the biggie was my health. Heart disease runs in my family. Also realizing that my kids are 8 and 5 and I think I only have a dozen or so pictures that I have taken WITH them.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    Several things. For one, I was 36 yrs old, 100lbs overweight, on 2 bp meds & diabetes medication. My cousin who is my age and diagnosed with t-2 diabetes since 20 yrs old was beginning to develop diabetes-related complications, largely a result of not taking care of herself & managing her condition. I was also starting to come out of a depression from my middle daughter getting sick and realized I was not living a life I wanted. My husband was also topping the scales at near 400lbs at 5'9" tall and I saw how sick we both were and were reflecting that on to our children, who I swore to care for and protect. I began the weight loss journey to try and inspire my husband, as well as to be a good example.

I lost the first 10 lbs as I started nursing school. I saw first-hand on a daily basis the results of obesity...heart disease, diabetes, renal failure, lymphedema, and depression. I saw how entire families and generations are negatively impacted from obesity/morbid obesity. This encouraged me on. I began to feel better and look better. I was able to finally admit the problems in my marriage to myself and others, that inspired me more to stop hiding behind weight. In my mind, if I was fat, I had a convenient excuse for why things were the way they were. More pounds came off. Being okay with men seeing me as a physical, sexual creature allowed more weight to come off.

I've plateaued at around 65lbs lost when I found myfitnesspal..com I began to revert back to my old habits last fall, and gained about 15 lbs. I've now got 10 of those 15 off, myfitnesspal isn't counting it all because I gained after I first used this site. I decided new year's to make a 90 commitment to myself. I'm within 50lbs of my goal now. 90 days of serious commitment could put me a lot closer. 10 lbs down the first month, 2 months to do. I'm aiming to be within 30lbs of my goal weight, 150lbs, by the end of March. This will be the year that I find success with my ideal weight.
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My friend had been on a health buzz since the beginning of January. I weighed myself at her house in the middle of February, (after half heartedly joining her in the healthy stuff), got a HUGE shock at the number, took a week to process the information and then said I can do this!

So told my 2 closest friends that I wanted to lose 50kg in a year. I'm almost at that year now and have only lost 26kg, but I feel so much better. I had hit a mental block but am back on track, and again am feeling the benefits of lots of exercise and healthier eating.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    High cholestrol and the fact that heart disease runs in my family, along with diabeties. My cholestrol has come down below 200 - yay! Also tired of tight fitting clothes and not being able to even wear my rings!
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    Finding out on Twitter that former friends were talking smack about my appearance. These were the same "friends" who ditched me when my life fell apart. It seriously hurt and really made me decide it was time to turn my life around.
  • rahrah82
    rahrah82 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Finally had enough of feeling like crap and putting on pound after pound.. after some tests I found out I have an alergy to dairy so had to cut it out of my diet.. figured new year, new diet, new me and this time I don't really have a choice if I want to feel better... so far feeling 100 percent and have since bumped it up to aiming to be back in the healthy weight range to start off my 30's is May
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lots of very inspirational stories here. Thanks for sharing.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    I can't stand to see pictures of myself. I'm currently doing daily vlogs and really can't stand to see myself on video...but I am keeping up with it so I can look back and see how much I change. I ache all the times...knees, ankles, back...and I can't keep up with my 4 year old some days.

Plus, I notice after I binge on the bad stuff and/or overeat, I feel completely awful. Like so bad I wish I could throw up so I could feel better.
  • brittni127
    Options
    Seeing pictures of me not pregnant and still looking like I'm pregnant :/
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be healthier to get pregnant.. and then once it started falling off, I just wanted to keep going. Now that i"m near my first gw, i'm thinking my next gw is gonna be something way different. :) seeing how much better i look now makes me happy too.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Finally admitting some of my relationship and career issues were likely due in part to my weight.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I feel like my weight is holding me back from doing all the exciting things a teenager like myself should be doing. XD And also when I was 14 I had slightly high blood pressure... :O
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My dad passed away far too young, he had just turned 60. He was a bit overweight but mostly just didn't eat properly or think about his health. I realized that if I followed in his footsteps I would only have 20 years left to live. Scary.
  • La1210
    La1210 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Looking at myself in the mirror, getting out of breath from just one flight of stairs, talking on the phone and having the person on the other end say " why are you breathing so hard you sound out of breathe.".
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When I couldn't look at myself in the mirror anymore!
  • gagejennifer
    Options
    The reason I wanted to try to start losing weight is because I weighed myself and I didn't like what I saw. And the medication I was taking at the time was making me gain weight.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    having my belly sit in my lap :grumble:

THIS!

Well, that and having the nurse ask me if I was having any chest pains or tightness in my chest because my BP was so high. She actually suggested I go to the emergency room! WAKE UP!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    At 20 years old my doctor started talking cardiac surgery. Enough said.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!