Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• darylinny
    Options
    You are soooooo right! I think most diets fail because of just that you die trying to stick with unrealistic i.e. boring food routine. Be mindful of potion size and calorie content and adjust accordingly while moving and excersicing in whatever format makes you happy and you can successfully lose weight. While certain foods will help address heath issues, a total diet restriction is a set up for failure. Cheers :drinker:
  • jan5555
    jan5555 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eat, drink and be merry... for tomorrow you could get run over by a cement truck while jogging on your way to Whole Foods to pick up your soy milk.

Oh god, this got me laughing so hard I almost choked on my coffee!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is absolutley true, and why when I answer questions of "can I eat the same foods only less and still lose weight" I always answer "If weight loss is your only concern, then yes". With no affecting medical conditions, weight loss is all about calories.

I eat healthy because health is my goal. I've never been much of a salad person. I rarely eat them, but I eat healthy. I eat pizza, nachos, burgers, mac-n-cheese, etc. along with my veggies and lean meats and brown rice. I just make healthier versions of my favorite foods. It's pretty easy to make healthier versions of most traditionally unhealthy foods.

And occasionally I eat unhealthy stuff because I like to eat out, and it's just not possible to make some foods healthy.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I believe in what you (general you) put in your body reflects your risk of developing cancer and other diseases. I disagree with the poster who said as food is broken down into the same nutriments, it doesn't matter what you eat. I'm not going to bother arguing with him as he obviously has strong beliefs and I do to, just opposite ones.
    Whether you eat a "natural" hamburger or a McDonald's hamburger, the body can't tell. Both meats will be broken down to it's simplest forms of amino acids and absorbed by the intestine and distributed to the muscle cells. This isn't a "belief" it's actual science. I would challenge you to find any information on human digestion that disagrees with it.
    All foods are "chemicals". They are broken up with "chemicals" in the body. In fact every action in the body is a "chemical" one including thinking.
    Even an allergy to food is a "chemical" reaction.
    As for cancer and diseases, while avoiding some foods may reduce risk, cancer and disease is based more on your genetics. You can eat perfect and exercise, etc. and still get it, while some who eat "bad" (meaning not getting in their essentials) doesn't exercise, smokes, etc. lives a full life with no disease. My grandmother died of old age and she smoked, ate pretty bad and didn't get hardly any exercise. If you talk to a vegan, they'll tell you meat in any form is a high risk for colon cancer. So if you're belief that cancer and disease is increased by meat, then you should stop eating that too. Like you said, you'll get over craving for it if that's your stance about cravings.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

The anecdote about your grandmother is interesting. But, I would really like to see some actual peer-reviewed science that backs up your claim that 'cancer and disease is based more on your genetics.' Many reports suggest that lifestyle has a great deal to do with the expression of certain genetic predispositions.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whether you eat a "natural" hamburger or a McDonald's hamburger, the body can't tell. Both meats will be broken down to it's simplest forms of amino acids and absorbed by the intestine and distributed to the muscle cells. This isn't a "belief" it's actual science. I would challenge you to find any information on human digestion that disagrees with it.

This would be true provided the 2 burgers contained the same ingredients. But if McD burger contains fillers or added nitrates that are not in the natural burger, then your body must deal with those as well. Where the burger comes from doesn't matter for digestion, but what it contains certainly could.
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is me just sharing my personal experience.

Prior to starting my "healthy lifestyle" journey back in Sept 2009, I ate mostly processed foods: chicken tenders; frozen mini pizzas; boxed lunches; canned soups, etc. And me and the BF ate out regularly and always had dessert.

As with most people here, to lose the weight, I just downsized my portions, didn't go out to dinner as much, eliminated dessert (most of the time), counted calories, and exercised. At the time, I was truly of the belief that "a calorie was a calorie." I dropped 25 lbs. So what I was doing was working. I ate in moderation, had my Fri/Sat as FREE days, and lost the weight living my life...which is exactly how I wanted to lose it.

Although 25 lbs lighter, I was still flabby.

This Fall, my processed foods turned against me. Although I was still counting calories and exercising as usual, I actually began to gain weight. I was constantly bloated and retaining water. My body had no idea what do with all the chemicals in the processed foods. It wasn't using them to help me sustain my loss or continue to lose. So I went to a two-day nutrition seminar and learned that in order kick start my body and to achieve a leaner, slimmer look, I HAD to eat cleaner. HAD TO!

So, I changed up my diet by adding more protein and cooking my food. Now, I haven't given up all processed foods, chocolate, Skinny Cow, and I still eat a bit more loosely on Fri/Sat, but for the most part, I give my body the calories and foods it can use to build muscle and burn fat. Because, contrary to what I have been reading here, your body does know the difference between a piece of cake that is 250 cals and piece of chicken that is 250 cals. The body will use the chicken (protein) to release the fat burning hormone (glucagon) and burn fat; it will use the cake to release insulin and create fat.

My first step...GET THE WEIGHT OFF in a way that was sustainable. CHECK.

Second step: TONE.

I am now a firm believer that not all calories are the same. For me, I'd rather weigh about 3-5 lbs more and be lean/tone. But I am 2+ yrs into my journey and it has taken alot of trial and error with food to get where I am at today.

Good luck everyone!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    i think the op was making the point to all you clean eaters out there, don't jump all over new posters who are sometimes joining this site after years of poor eating choices.

acknowledge that they need to take baby steps in their weightloss journey & don't need a lecture on how they should cut out this that or the other. Just by joinng a site like MFP they have taken a huge step in admitting they want or need to change so need encouragement & sensible help in making small changes.

someone who consumes fast food twice a day 7 days a week will see an improvement if they cut down to once a day, after a while they will probably cut it down to a few times a week, then after a period of getting more knowledge on nutrition & what they like they will invariably make more informed choices & have fast food/junk/processed when it is convenient but not as a daily taple. Presumably most of you clean eaters at onepoint or another were making the same poor choices otherwise why would you use MFP. Think about how you came to be making the choices that you do now.

As someone who eats 80% home cooked the other 20% is chocolate, crisps & ready meals. I don't actually eat fast food as such but convenience food (ready meals, pre packed, packet or tinned foods) suits my lifestyle on occasion & I won't be made to feel like I am doing something wrong or failing because of it & neither should anyone else.

So just think a bit about where that person is coming from next time you slate someone for their choice of burger king or McD's. It might make the difference between them logging back on or giving up.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    As much as I love pizza, my definition of normal food isn't fast food and junk. It's just getting regular, non-diet, food. When I want ice cream, I have a normal portion of ice cream (or an ice cream sandwich), not Skinny Cow. I have milk, not almond milk. I make sandwiches on whole grain bread, but not the 35 calories a slice kind. When I have a cheeseburger, it's ground beef, not turkey because turkey is way too dry, although it's ok for meatballs. I tried soyburgers... they tasted like McDonalds to me, and McDonalds is "emergency food" to me, not a satisfying meal.

I do like bagels, nachos, potato chips, and and garlic bread. And regular jive old white pasta, because I can't see enough of a difference in the macros to bother with the whole grain type. I have plenty of lean meat and veggies, too, and including the foods I enjoy hasn't had any negative effect on my progress, so I see no need to remove them. Plus, I'd have a hell of a time reaching my calories and macros without the breads and pastas I love so much.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    oh & i'd like to mention that I lost over 5 stone before joining mfp & deciding to improve my nutrition by eating mostly haagen daaz & frazzles (bacon flavour maize snacks for you non brits) & virtually no meat, veg or carbs. :wink:

not that I am advocating a haagen daaz & crisp diet only that for alot of us, making the changes takes a while.
  • sweetpetunia
    sweetpetunia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i <3 normal food.

i'd die if i couldnt enjoy my sisters overly delicious peanut butter bars
    or ice cream (my kryptonite)

portions and planning ahead are key!

i just had waffles and sausage for brunch, and HEY i enjoyed it, and i'm going to work out today, and probably have a delicious dinner tonight. you just dont overdue the syrup, snack on some fruit or veggies, and watch your portion size for dinner.

everything in moderation. you simply cant cut out everything thats delicious :)
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Preach it, brother tsh0ck!!
  • Lilith8984
    Lilith8984 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your rant! Hahaha, I just started my weight loss journey for the last time....I am going to loss the weight this time...I have to completely agree with everything you said. I've tried dieting and have just been angry and felt like a rabbit trying to only eat certain items...Now I am just cutting down my portions and cutting calories...This is my first week, I ate a cupcake (just one, I included it into my calories for the day) and have lost 6 lbs. I am happy that I can still eat my favorite foods, I am just learning portion control.

=)
  • mummyv811
    Options
    Hear hear!!! :drinker:
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Well said, i couldnt agree more! :happy:

Im a great believer in eating whatever u want but within reason therefore ur not depriving yourself of the things you like and cause your still eating what you like your less likely to give up.

I always eat what i want i.e choc bar, bag of crisps, slice of pizza ect ect, i just make sure its within my calorie allowence. I also have Saturday as my treat day where i eat literaly everything i want, no cal counting and i've never had a problem losing weight with this :)
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    for a while, I was seeing an abundance of "what's gonna happen to my boobs" threads. new batches daily, it seemed. but, lately, I'm seeing new folks coming in and asking if they can eat so-called 'normal' food. and, of course, soon thereafter they are informed by various members that, no, all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

that really bothers me. people join this site, often, after years of failed attempts. many are frustrated ... discouraged. so much so that it probably wouldn't take much for them to just throw it in and give up. and you know what just might be that push? the organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

you know what, that food is certainly nutritious. no one is really going to argue that point. and is nutritious food better for your body than not-so-nutritious food? well, yeah. but here's the thing, ORLBs. that's an extreme change many -- if not most -- people can't make. and, yes, I said can't -- not won't. it isn't always as simple as just throwing away all the food you've got and restocking with fresh produce and tofu burgers. the first obstacle is cost. the second is ease/feasibility. and that's not even figuring in the fact that many -- if not most, again -- don't like to eat that food!

I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food. I'll eat pizza. I'll eat chocolate. I eat pasta and bread and even, now and then, a cookie or some candy. I lost 3.5 pounds this past week. I've lost more than 17 pounds in less than two months. and it's because I'm learning to keep my food portions under control. I keep under my calorie limit. I plan ahead if I know I'm going to have a larger meal or a higher-calorie treat that day. and if it just happens without planning and I decide to take that treat? that means a longer stint at the gym to burn those extra calories off.

the ORLBs will now start sputtering, 'but that's not healthy!' and to that, I'd like to ask if being obese is healthy. I think ... no. so. let's move to basic food math:

eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = weight loss;
    weight loss = a healthier me;
    therefore, eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = a healthier me.

shedding that extra weight automatically makes you healthier, no matter what it is you are eating. there's simply no way around that fact. now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't make smart decisions. that isn't to say that you shouldn't work to find 'healthy' foods that you like, working them into your daily life. but, like weight loss, that's a process. it doesn't need to happen overnight.

focus on what works. turn yourself into a better you. and do it in a way that will allow it to be a life change. and if, for you, that means 'normal' food? do it, and do it without any of the guilt you've been programmed or pressured to feel.

You Rock :)
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Because, contrary to what I have been reading here, your body does know the difference between a piece of cake that is 250 cals and piece of chicken that is 250 cals. The body will use the chicken (protein) to release the fat burning hormone (glucagon) and burn fat; it will use the cake to release insulin and create fat.

This is definitely my opinion, too. I don't understand how a calorie can be just a calorie, no matter what form it comes in. The different make-up of foods mean your body will use them in different ways. This is why I'd rather snack on a 100-cal banana or a 70-cal apple than, say, a small packet of crisps for the same.
  • CarynCharB
    CarynCharB Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Amen my brother! :smile:
  • 4N6junkie
    Options
    Amen, Brother!!

I'm one of those people who cannot survive on "health food". The IDEA of tofu makes me gag! (It's a texture thing...)

Anyways, You are absolutely right!! Since I started on MFP, I haven't really changed my diet a lot. I eat out FREQUENTLY but have been good and eating more veggies (if they are an option) or having smaller portions. For example, kids meals at Burger King or whatnot. As you lose and stuff you dont need as much PHYSICAL food because your stomach has shrunk some, as well. Also, I've cut out stuff that I just found to be "not worth the calories". For example, glazed donuts! You go through them quick and they aren't filling so it's not even satisfying. So they aren't worth the calories. SURE you can go to the Cheesecake factory! Just allot for the calories and maybe only have half a slice and skip the whipped cream?

Heck, I have a large bowl (132g) of ice-cream almost every single night. REGULAR ice-cream.. not non or low-fat stuff. (low fat does not equal low-cal by the way!) but I make sure I allot enough calories for it. If I didn't have my ice cream I think I would've given up months ago.

Anyways... yea..
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Glad you said this!!! Because I hate when people think they have to give up their favorites to lose weight! I still eat all the things I enjoy- just in moderation. And I even challenge myself to prepare those favorites in a healthier manner so I can eat them without guilt. :smile:

* Only thing I will add is I don't completely get into the "calorie is a calorie" idea (that some posts are mentioning) because I am not on here just to lose weight... I am on here to get healthy. My goal is a healthy body, not necessarily a "skinny" one. Calorie is a Calorie doesn't apply long term when you're thinking "healthy choices" vs"unhealthy choices". If I eat all fried food all day and stay in my calories for the day- that to me WOULDN"T be a successful day. Not saying I can never eat anything fried again... just saying "everything in moderation".

I am not on here to prove I can eat unhealthy foods all the time and still lose weight. I am on here to prove TO MYSELF I can change my eating habits, and balance out my "wants and needs" for my body. Taking on a healthier lifestyle -without depriving myself of my favorite foods. - Just my opinion