Pre-Logging Exercise

Options

Replies

• wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pre-log. That makes me HAVE to go do it.
  • swycoff17
    swycoff17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I only pre-log on Wednesdays, because I have volleyball, which burns a TON of calories. If I don't log it early on Wednesdays, I end up WAYYY under on calories and then I feel like it's "ok" to pig out at the end of the day.

Otherwise I log as I go.

As far as your friend goes.....hahaha, all I can do is roll my eyes. That's annoying. :-/
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing and then never got around to them. So I stopped. I don't log it until I actually do it. And if that means I don't get to it until late at night and not everyone sees, that's ok
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Never pre-log food or exercise, once I'm preparing or choosen, done it I log it!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I sometimes pre-log same as I sometimes record food in advance. But if I don't do the exercise, or eat that food, then I remove it.
    ^^^^^
    THIS - simple deal...I wish it were as easy as logging it in.
    I'd have 6 hours of intense cardio - Running 11 miles at 30 MPH - burning 8,000 calories...

Then I'd be crying the blues in these forums like so many cheaters we see and hear...
    "I am doing everything I can but don't see any progress" - :sad:
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I pre-log food so that I can see the nutrients but I never pre-log exercise, it's like a jinx for me!
  • sammycool1986
    sammycool1986 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I pre log food if I know what I am eating in the day but only put exercise down when I do it x
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Only thing I pre log is food... and really that's only if I'm completely sure of what I'm eating that day. I don't pre log my workouts because for me, each time I work out it's different... I feel that your "friend" needs to buckle down and be HONEST with herself... That's what weight loss is all about, HONESTY!!! If you can't be honest with yourself about the foods you've eaten and the work outs you've done, then you can't lose weight. SIMPLE AS THAT!!!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    When I was in the habit of always getting my workouts in and I knew what they would be every day I would log in advance. Not anymore. Anything can get in the way. On days when I do the cardio machines there's no telling til I get there which one I'll get-bike, elliptical, treadmill or rower. So logging in advance isn't an option anymore.

I do frequently log my food in advance. I do this because it helps me to plan in advance what I'm going to fix for meals and know how many calories I'm going to eat. Sometimes I look at it think, "wow, that many calories? No way!" and I'll change what I'm getting or fixing. Just today I realized what I was fixing was NOT one serving. Thank goodness! That was the difference between 250 calories and 500. If something changes with my food, no big deal. I fix it in the log when it changes. I don't "complete the entry" until the end of the day when I'm truly done.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I don't log it until it happens.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I pre-log exercise Tues - Friday because I workout at night those days of the week. I know what workouts I'm doing and I have never missed one. If I did have something come up, I would just delete it but it's never happened so far.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I prelog food, but not exercise. I don't know how many cals I'm going to burn until I do it, so I just wait until I'm done.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I never pre-log exercise OR food, what if I don't do it or don't eat that or the amounts, all you're doing is cheating yourself if it's not exact........and you're REALLY cheating yourself logging exercise that you don't do......shame, shame, shame!

That's only a problem if you don't do it :wink:

I pre-log most of the time so I can plan my day, PLUS when I get "good job's" it's even more motivation for me to stick to my plan. It's been working for the past month. There' s only been twice that I haven't hit what I've set and that's because I ended up overextending and needing a rest day, but I went back and updated correctly.

Just like everything else on here, it's whatever works best for someone!
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my food, but not my exercise. I do take note of how many calories I will burn if I do exercise, because I exercise late, after work, and I'd hate to have to spend most of my evening after I get home trying to eat back my calories (read: stuffing myself senseless) when I could've budgeted a little better on my food throughout the day.

That being said, I don't "close out" my day until it's done and over with, because I don't always stick to my food goals for the day, plus I want my exercise cals to count.
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents... since you asked. I think the BEST thing about MFP is that I can use it whereever I am whenever I want to. Why? Because that way I can plan and hold myself accountable. So I CAN pre-log if for example I'm heading to a restaurant and I want to know what i'm going to be having before I get there.

On the other hand, if I pre-logged my exercise to try to hold myself accountable, and I didn't do it, I would then be sure to edit and delete the entry before the end of the day. Just how I'd handle it.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Pre-log food: Yes. I plan all of my meals in advance, so I always know exactly what I'm eating for the next week. I pick my snacks at the beginning of the day, and pick them according to how many calories I have allotted for the day.

Pre-log exercise: Today I did, because I rode my bike to work. I don't have an option not to complete that workout. Other than that, I'm an early bird, no need to pre-log my exercise at 4am. It can wait until I 7am.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't log it until I actually do it!

This!!! xx
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I usually only pre-log my Taekwondo workouts because they're in the evening but I don't like to do even that at the moment because I've had so many car problems I haven't been making it. If I do pre-log and then not do the workout I will remove it from my diary and accept the consequences if I went over. My daily strength and cardio workouts at home I don't log until after. Part of that is because I use my HRM to get the numbers and the other part is, why? If I haven't done it I don't record it. I do have friends in my list thought who regularly log before doing it but they are always faithful to actually do the work. I guess it's only a problem if you're relying on those calories and then don't do the work. It's not going to to her any good in the long run if she's consistently eating over because of it.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I do that so that I can better plan for the day in terms of my meals.... but if I end up not doing it or changing it, I'll then go back and adjust my log to reflect that.

Sometimes going ahead and logging it make s me feel like I then HAVE to do it!!
  • xo_morgan
    Options
    i can actually only get on MFP @ work...so i dont log my nighttime workouts until the NEXT day..i never prelog them though. same with my dinner & afternoon snacks..i log them the next day.