Stereotypes are awesome...

Options

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I've got some:

I'm automatically afiliated with the mafia because I'm 1/2 Italian, then they ask why they let women in the mafia...
    That I know all the rules to Bocce Ball (lawn bowling)
    That b/c I'm from Timmins, I must know Shania Twain
    That b/c I'm from Timmins, I ride polar bears to school/work, have no running water, and live in an ice hut (no joke... )
    If I'm friendly and bubbly (which i am 99% of the time) that I'm not intelligent or serious.
    B/c I'm a girl, I shouldn't know anything about cars, or like them for that matter.

Haha this reminded me of what people say to me when I tell them I'm from Alaska. I must have rode a polar bear, lived in an igloo, am an eskimo, drive a dog pulled sled, and it is cold and snows all the time!

LOL!!! People are strange... :)
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Oh...... you're from England (Wales actually, but that's another story), I met someone from England last Summer, do you know him?
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am from Idaho, so people automatically assume that I grow potatoes in my backyard, am associated with either the KKK or some other form of white supremecist group, that I ride a horse to work, listen to country music, and like the BSU Broncos (not a football fan)

I have a black daughter, so people automatically assume that I'm "one of those girls" who only dates black men and probably has a string of them out my bedroom door every weekend when I flip on the red light

Because I have big boobs my IQ is equal to my bra size

That because I am a girl I know absolutely nothing about computers, star trek, star wars, Dr. Who or anything remotely cool

Because I am a girl I must like chick flicks and cry at diaper commercials (I prefer action/adventure, horror, and sci fi)

Oh, and I have red(ish) hair - I bet you can assume the stereotype there!!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

People just joke with me about it now too, but I moved to Alabama from Alaska in High School and it was miserable. People teased me mercilessly for not being from the south and I was called a yankee in a negative manner on a daily basis. It was quite the culture shock.

They called you a YANKEE because you were from ALASKA?! LOL That doesn't even make sense...Alaska wasn't even part of the United States during the Civil War...

Exactly, I can't tell you how many times I have said that to people! People around here call everyone who is not from the south a yankee!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

That because I am a girl I know absolutely nothing about computers, star trek, star wars, Dr. Who or anything remotely cool

Because I am a girl I must like chick flicks and cry at diaper commercials (I prefer action/adventure, horror, and sci fi)

^^This!! :drinker:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

People just joke with me about it now too, but I moved to Alabama from Alaska in High School and it was miserable. People teased me mercilessly for not being from the south and I was called a yankee in a negative manner on a daily basis. It was quite the culture shock.

They called you a YANKEE because you were from ALASKA?! LOL That doesn't even make sense...Alaska wasn't even part of the United States during the Civil War...

Exactly, I can't tell you how many times I have said that to people! People around here call everyone who is not from the south a yankee!

Isn't everyone who is from North of the Mason Dixon line a Yankee? And really, is it a real line...like did they go out there with spray paint and mark the spot? I have family in the south, and I swear they talk about the Mason Dixon line as though it is some form of religious icon!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of stereotypes placed on me honestly. People have a tendency to assume women who are big busted are "bimbos" so I have been placed in that category a lot (totally untrue). I live in the South but am originally from the North and have been called a "yankee" (although I'm from Alaska and we had no involvement in the Confederate war whatsoever). Also because I am white and live in the South, African Americans tend to assume I'm racist (untrue as I said, I'm not from here so I didn't grow up around racism against them because there were very few where I grew up to speak of). Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

All Southern White people born and bred in the South aren't racist either. Just sayin'.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am lazy because I am fat.....

:drinker: Get that sometimes too. And, I'm Irish, I must be a heavy drinker. BTW, 1 glass of wine puts me on my behind!
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Sadly I'm black and I'm in college I work 3 jobs everything comes from my pocket also I'm a republican everyone in my family went graduated from a university I have 0 kids my name doesnt end with a "Iesha" I dont know how to braid hair all the hair on my head is real and I hate the taste and smell of watermelon. My nickname when I was growing up was "White Girl" "Oreo" (black on the outside white on the inside) but its all good cause I dont fit the black racial stereotype!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    People assume that because I'm so awesome, my breath is always minty fresh. But that's not always the case.
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    My husband and I are both from Louisville, Knetucky. We moved to Colorado Springs with the military during the first few years of our marriage. The jokes about "how are your first pair of shoes working out" were ridiculous. Not to mention that people thought I was a racist AND stupid because I had a southern accent. Oh yeah, almost forgot...."Is your pappy a coal miner"? Idiots!
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    murder was the case that they gave me..
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I'm from Arkansas. Dogpatch, Arkansas specifically. I have teeth and shoes. I'm not racist.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Isn't everyone who is from North of the Mason Dixon line a Yankee? And really, is it a real line...like did they go out there with spray paint and mark the spot? I have family in the south, and I swear they talk about the Mason Dixon line as though it is some form of religious icon!
    No, there is not a line -- just as state boundaries are not marked with lines. There are markers, though.

The Mason-Dixon line played an important role in the history of the United States. I invite you to Google it. :flowerforyou:
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Lol! " I have family in the south, and I swear they talk about the Mason Dixon line as though it is some form of religious icon!" <<<this made me laugh. It is not a real line no. There is a sign that marks it in Maryland though.
  • tboothgenthe
    Options
    Please - I'm a lesbian with 4 kids who are ours - I don't wear flannel - I love make up, Disney and purses. I really really like purses. ohhh and shoes especially boots. uggs... oh I could go on and on.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I've been stereotyped as a funny fat chick because I tell a lot of jokes.

Did I do that right?

• People just joke with me about it now too, but I moved to Alabama from Alaska in High School and it was miserable. People teased me mercilessly for not being from the south and I was called a yankee in a negative manner on a daily basis. It was quite the culture shock.

Hm...that's interesting. Personally, I always thought that Yankee referred to those that fought against the North, which is why I wouldn't count Alaskans as part of that group...but anyway on that point I also wanted to say I live in the South and if I had a penny for every time I heard the Civil War referred to as "The War of Northern Aggression" LOL
  • MomsTooBig
    MomsTooBig Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have 4 children, so people assume that I'm easy, and they must have different fathers.
    The truth in fact is they all share the same dad.

I am currently on assistance, so I must be a 'welfare mom', lazy, no ambition other then to plan on 'popping out kids' for life.
    I'm not lazy, and being on welfare for life is NOT what I want for myself or my kids. I need the help for awhile as my ex does not pay support. They have said I can stay home with my youngest for 3 more years til school, but I CHOSE to go back to school and try and get off it sooner. It didn't work out this time around, but I'm not giving up and I'm NOT going to stay on it.

Those are the 2 biggest.
    People sometimes assume I can't do something because of my arm/hand,....but that I don't mind so much. Someone offering to help me isn't offensive. Courtesy is always welcomed lol.

Tracy
    13680624.png
  • cabannie
    Options
    People think that I'm like Mrs. Santa Claus, until I put on my biker leather.