Best alcoholic beverage to manage calories?

Options

Replies

• andrea_marie3
    andrea_marie3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like hard cider. Relatively low in calories and gluten free. And it's delicious.
  • shayjgordon
    shayjgordon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking captian morgan spiced rum, its only 60 calories per oz. I shoot it then chase it with diet pepsi. I just make sure I eat low-cal meals during the day if I plan on drinking that night.
  • twildmann
    Options
    I am a beer girl so I usually drink Yuengling Lite...only 99 calories.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my dietician told me some type of spirits and diet coke. however, she told me this since i am cutting back on carbs and they are virtually carb free.

she also told me light beer but i would rather drink sewer water! i haven't found a light beer i like yet.
  • butterflies777
    Options
    Scotch :wink:
  • muffyjog
    Options
    I"m betting what you really need is numbers. Here's something I found that might be helpful. The beverage and its calorie count:
    Beer -12oz
    Regular 149
    Light 110

Distilled (80 proof) - 1oz
    Gin, rum, vodka, whisky, tequila 65
    Brandy, cognac 65

Liqueurs - 1.5oz
    (Drambuie, Cointreau, Kahlua) 188

Wine - 4oz unless otherwise mentioned
    Red 80
    Dry white 75
    Sweet 105
    Sherry - 2oz 75
    Port - 2oz 90
    Champagne 84
    Vermouth, sweet - 2oz 140
    Vermouth, dry - 2oz 105

Cocktails
    Martini - 3.5oz 140
    Manhattan -3.5 oz 164
    Daiquiri - 4oz 122
    Whiskey sour - 3oz 122
    Margarita cocktail - 4oz 168
    Coolers - 6oz 150

From http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.gov/collegestudents/calculator/alcoholcalc.aspx
  • Neconilis
    Neconilis Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go here and that should help a lot, http://getdrunknotfat.com/ . As for personal opinion I do shots of vodka and Diet Coke. A shot of vodka (1.5 fl. oz.) is 96 calories, so not too bad. However, if you don't care for Vodka most all 80 proof liquors are essentially the same so there are plenty of other options.

As for beer there's no secret and all of the traditional light beers are pretty damn close in calories. That being said, it helps to remember that while a pint (16 fl. oz.) of Bud Light is 147 calories, a pint of Guinness is less than 30 calories more at 171. So unless every calorie counts, or you're trying to save money, I'd typically go with the more flavorful beer.
  • rachcamp88
    rachcamp88 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A 25ml measure of vodka with diet coke is roughly 50 calories as is 25ml gin with slimline tonic. I find if I have a glass of wine before any spirit I get drunk very quickly so if you want to get hammered on as little cals as possible I'd say have 1 glass of wine then a few vodkas or gins.(Drink responsibly lol)
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I did the math once...

with the amount of alcohol in a bud select 55 calorie, you could drink just as many Miller lites and be like twice as drunk. or close to it. lol
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    after experimenting with my scale and my weekends...i know that beer (no matter which one) is a NO NO for me... but i can have a lot of wine and still lose weight that weekend... you can also try vodka or rum with diet coke/sprite ...i say try it out and see what works for you gl :)
  • runwithmike
    Options
    I like Michelob Ultras, Rum and wine. We bottle Blackberry wine.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm usually great during the day and during the week, but come happy hour... I'm toast.

What do you folks drink to help manage calories intake? I'm looking for all sorts of suggestions: beer, wine, liquor.
    Wine for sure - just 2 glasses. It's actually healthy a few times a week.

And I don't mean to be a killjoy, but booze in general is nothing but empty calories.And some like to deprive themselves of nutrition just to validate with extra calories a night at a bar.

That's not good business for anybody serious about reaching fitness goals.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I drink Bacardi limon mixed with water and lemon, sounds gross but it is really good plus no calories in water!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    here's what I was getting at with my post earlier about the alcohol/calorie content in bud select 55's vs regular light beer....I had to do the math again because what I was saying probably didn't make much sense!

It would take 10.5 bud select 55's to get you equally as drunk as a 6 pack of miller lite, and it would be 7 more calories. Mind boggling?!?!?! haha
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    flavored vodka with diet / zero sprite
  • JLWilson27
    Options
    I like Michelob Ultras, Rum and wine. We bottle Blackberry wine.

MMMMMM blackberry wine is soooooo yummy! I bet it's FULL of carbs though :-(
  • jaymarie8
    Options
    absolute vodka, water and lemon wedge:) this has been my drink for years, helps with hangover as well;)
    or Bacardi white rum with water and two lime wedges
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Skinny girl margaritas - 100 cals/4 oz
  • motherof3brats
    motherof3brats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    MGD 64
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My drink of choice is Makers Mark and Diet Coke, 69 cal.