married - joining finances/seperate - HELP!

Options

Replies

• GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It's more logic to pull percentages out of paychecks in my eyes. Honestly my husband and I still have our own accounts. We do have a joint accont we both agrred to put a certain amount in each month. Then I went back to school so that flopped. Now I pay for my school and my gad, that's about it. But that is just what works for us. If you take a percentage out then person A will still be paying more than person B, but its not right, in my eyes for person B to struggle if person A has extra cash. . .
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    When you marry your lives intertwine, including finances. Throwing money in ones face will just lead to big relationship trouble and is very disrespectful IMO.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    When I got married, we were so broke if we didn't join our finances, it wouldn't have been enough to open a checking account.

But seriously folks, this doesn't sound like a healthy relationship in regards to money.
  • jmaffett
    Options
    I work in finance so see a lot of difference combinations of separate/together. I personally would not have married my husband if he expected us to keep our finances separate. He has always been a couple of paygrades about me, but when we married we became a UNIT. His debts are my debts, my debts are his debts. There is no "you pay for this, I'll pay for that". I married this person to be his PARTNER, not his roommate.

Our paychecks go into separate bank accounts but both are joint accounts. We have agreements on how we spend our money, and we both get an "allowance" each month for spending with no questions asked. Everything else (groceries, utilities, car, gasoline, vacations, mortgage, insurance) comes from our pooled money.
  • bergsangel
    Options
    A should be lucky A has B to even contribute and shut A's mouth up.....perhaps a separate ""bills only" account where both contribute.....

^Yeah, i agree.
    I have been both a full-time SAHM and a full time teacher and teaching is much easier. It sounds like you are working too though, not sure it is full-time? Either way, once you marry someone, you really have no business making them feel bad about their income. And just because A's income is higher DOES NOT mean he shouldn't be helping out. Now, if he works double your hours or something, I can see that. Time to join finances, this is ridiculous imo.
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    my husband and i have always had sepereate accounts..but we pay the bills together...and its not my money, your money, its still our money... its easier for us to keep track of spending by having seperate accounts and not wondering what is this charge?? etc.. i make more than my husband, because of the job i have. i never have, and never would throw that in his face, because i know he works just as hard if not harder than i do and we are in this TOGETHER .. sounds like maybe you guys need some counceling? :)
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    A should be lucky A has B to even contribute and shut A's mouth up.....perhaps a separate ""bills only" account where both contribute.....

I'll bet B is doing most other child care and house jobs as well!!!

I would say DIVORCE SOB
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My spouse insisted on joint finances when we got married. I kind of wanted my own little "nest egg" but now I'm glad we are together on this. He pays the bills, I do all the housework, childcare, etc. I am a SAHM.

If you are not married, then I would definitely recommend separate finances. And if person A keeps throwing it in your face, then perhaps you need to re-think your relationship. :^(
  • jrnygirl
    jrnygirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    A and B should look at their bills together and determine which ones can be paid off first and work towards a common goal of eliminating all unnecessary debt in the household.

Sounds like A resents B's lifestyle/career choice, etc.
    Marriage is a partnership and just because one person brings in more money than the other doesn't mean that the lower-earning person contributes any less. Money is only a fraction of what makes a marriage and lifelong partnership.
    Perhaps financial/marriage counseling will put things into greater perspective for A?
  • vellacraptor
    Options
    I personally think it should be more cooperative once you're married. Stuff that you both use you share the cost for, and stuff that only one of you use only that person pays for is how I would want to do it. But I guess it just depends on the relationship.

At any rate they should not shove it in your face, that's unhealthy in any relationship especially if you're not really doing anything wrong. Maybe sit down and talk about what he wants from you to stop him from doing that, or what he expects? You might be upsetting him somehow, or maybe he's just being unreasonable entirely.

In any case, I'd think communication is key.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but when I married my husband he wasn't working due to an injury and I added him to my account. We don't have mine,yours and ours here. We share it all. It's kinda degrading to have that thrown in your face. My ex husband would say things like that to me and he only made more the last year of our marriage.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This is what we do. We each have our own checking and savings accounts, money that we do not have to answer to anyone about. We have our own bills, that we pay on our own. For our combined expenses, we set up a house hold budget and we each contribute as we are able. These are amounts that are negotiaded. Since we are also in different pay grades similar to your example, it is a different amount that we each contribute. We call it the "house account". This way we each have our own finances and do not have to answer to each other, the only amounts we answer to is the house account.

Expenses for the house account, mortgage, food, electric, cable, heating etc. Since you have childcare, I would put that in the bucket also. For my expenses, my personal credit cards, auto loan and other stuff I agree to pay solely. And he has his seperate bills.

I believe that we each need our money to do with as we please. But we should each contribute to our life together.

I hope this helps.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    We joined our finances when we got married.... Are you planning on divorce?! If not there is no reason for it to be separate.zz that's jyst weird to me.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    "A" is being a bully. Once married, legally the money belongs to both.

I guess some counselling is in order. "A" should be able to recognise the fallacy in his argument. . .this is a power struggle.

Yes - and in THIS country at least A's bucks would be predominantly Bs because B has children to take care of for at least 18 years!!!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I can definitely feel your pain here. Just came out of a marriage where he makes well over $80,000/year and bonus's and I make a measley $21,000. It was often thrown in my face that he pays the majority of bills. Well, with the amount of money I bring home, there is no way I could make a $1,200 payment on a home (his home when we married). Our accounts were each visable to the other and I never took money out of his account unless I were to ask, which was rare. It was a tough situation.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have a similar situation -- i'm the one making more $$. No big deal to me since we are a married couple. Sometimes I pay for everything and usually pay the majority of the expenses.

We both have our own checking accounts for spending what we want and maintain a separate joint checking account which we make donations in ratio of what we get paid and the size of the bills. Someday the situation might be reversed.
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    "A" is being a bully. Once married, legally the money belongs to both.

I guess some counselling is in order. "A" should be able to recognise the fallacy in his argument. . .this is a power struggle.

Yes - and in THIS country at least A's bucks would be predominantly Bs because B has children to take care of for at least 18 years!!!

I totally agree with you!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My husband and I still have separate checking accounts. He pays the mortgage and I pay all the utilities and groceries. He pays more but also makes more. Every paycheck we each put money into the 'house' account since we just bought a house about a year ago and still have a lot we need to work on and decorate,and things break. He never makes me feel bad for making less and contributing less, we are a team. I think A & B really need to have a serious talk about the issue and make it work.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a seperate account in years... everything is joint. I make more money in the household but I'm awful with finances so it works for us. I know many couples who have things seperately and that works for them.

I think you need to find some common ground... perhaps keep seperate accounts for personal stuff but have a joint accout where a certain % of each pay is deposited for the household.
  • kcyr1214
    Options
    B could get out now before things get worse. A's attitude is not that of a loving spouse. A may have insecurity issues, and putting it in B's face that A pays most of the bills makes A feel more powerful. It's also a control issue, A pays most of the bills, therefore A feels entitled to make most of the decisions, have A's way. This is not an equal partnership and in my experience, A is not likely to change the attitude.
    >> Back to my first sentence. Sorry to be so blunt.